The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-16-2019, 12:27 AM   #1
Dustint

48 on s10 frame 4 link kit?? Help

I’ve got a 48 on an s10 frame. I’ve decided to go with a triangulated 4 link with coilovers, but unsure if a universal kit is best or if anyone has used one specific one for this situation.
I’ve got a 9” rear end that will be going in, so I’m assuming with all the custom application a kit for an s10 wouldn’t do the job.
Has anyone had any luck with certain kits/brands? I’ve looked at ridetech some and a few others. Just not sure what’s best.
Dustint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 01:23 AM   #2
joedoh

Re: 48 on s10 frame 4 link kit?? Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustint View Post
I’ve got a 48 on an s10 frame. I’ve decided to go with a triangulated 4 link with coilovers, but unsure if a universal kit is best or if anyone has used one specific one for this situation.
I’ve got a 9” rear end that will be going in, so I’m assuming with all the custom application a kit for an s10 wouldn’t do the job.
Has anyone had any luck with certain kits/brands? I’ve looked at ridetech some and a few others. Just not sure what’s best.

a ford rear will make it tough to run an bolt on setup, but not impossible.

first question, are you running the S10 gas tank? that will make a lot of decisions for you. the gas tank crossmember and the tank itself make running a true 4 link difficult. the bolt ons that leave the tank in place are usually 3 links or what they call wishbone 3 links. the ART ridetech is good, truly a bolt on setup, not sure if you can set it up for coil overs but like the ford rear above, anything is possible.

if you arent running the s10 gas tank, a weld on will probably be light years faster and will work with the ford rear. pete and jakes makes a nice universal that I have used, but so do a lot of companies that I havent. keep the lower bars parallel to the frame at ride height and keep the uppers slightly less than parallel to the lowers (pinched at the front) and you will have good traction and a good ride.

dont think I am advocating for moving the tank if you have the stock s10 tank, I happen to like it mid frame instead of at the rear. a tri 4 link eats up a LOT of mid frame space and the rear mounted tank eats up anything past the tank, so exhaust piping gets complicated. I dont envy your decision process, and I hope I have given you some pros and cons to think about.

if there is a problem, I can have it.

new project WAYNE http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=844393
joedoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 09:32 AM   #3
Dustint

That is a few more things to think about. I have been planning to run an aftermarket tank because I will be swapping in an ls1, so I figured that may be easier to get all the fuel lines and pump lines out to. The ls1 is the whole reason for the 4 link in the first place. So it has just all snowballed, while I’m at it kind of thing. I think that kills us all ��
Old 08-16-2019, 11:47 AM   #4
GMC Rodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by joedoh View Post
a ford rear will make it tough to run an bolt on setup, but not impossible.

first question, are you running the S10 gas tank? that will make a lot of decisions for you. the gas tank crossmember and the tank itself make running a true 4 link difficult. the bolt ons that leave the tank in place are usually 3 links or what they call wishbone 3 links. the ART ridetech is good, truly a bolt on setup, not sure if you can set it up for coil overs but like the ford rear above, anything is possible.
I have a little bit of knowledge here, the ride tech bolt in 4 link for the s10 is a very good fit and apparently is truly "bolt in". I have done a bunch of research because I'm contemplating the same problems you are.

AFAIK, you can spec the ride tech for coilovers or bags. They also give you the option of using the stock s10 rear end or a Ford 8.8 for the rear plate. Personally, I think I'm going to go with a good universal triangulated 4 link from a reputable company, mainly because I want to get rid of the stock s10 tank and move it to the rear.

As always, this is just my opinion and YMMV.
GMC Rodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 12:09 PM   #5
Dustint

I definitely want to do coilovers with it. I’m kind of leaning towards something universal just so I have the freedom to get the rear axle exactly where I want it, as opposed to being stuck with the stock location.
The 9” I have is actually a Currie, but basically the same as a ford 9” from everything I understand
Old 08-16-2019, 02:17 PM   #6
joedoh

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMC Rodder View Post
I have a little bit of knowledge here, the ride tech bolt in 4 link for the s10 is a very good fit and apparently is truly "bolt in". I have done a bunch of research because I'm contemplating the same problems you are.

AFAIK, you can spec the ride tech for coilovers or bags. They also give you the option of using the stock s10 rear end or a Ford 8.8 for the rear plate. Personally, I think I'm going to go with a good universal triangulated 4 link from a reputable company, mainly because I want to get rid of the stock s10 tank and move it to the rear.

As always, this is just my opinion and YMMV.

thats excellent news, I had no idea ART customized that kit

Old 08-20-2019, 06:48 PM   #7
GMC Rodder

Quote:
thats excellent news, I had no idea ART customized that kit
EDIT: I just did some looking and it's the thorbros 4 link kit for the S10 that gives you the ability to spec it out for the ford 8.8. ART gives you the option for the 7.5, 8.5 and 12 bolt car rear ends. sorry if there was any confusion.

I'm looking at possibly the Thorbros 4 link and Michigan Metal Conversion arms for the front (so I don't have to run spacers) both for coilovers. That way I can have the option for shockwaves in future.

Last edited by GMC Rodder; 08-20-2019 at 07:20 PM.
Old 08-20-2019, 08:51 PM   #8
joedoh

I have used MMW arms. best if you dont talk to anyone there, because its a fair product but the guy who takes orders can be a giant pain. I have a set of 2" extended uppers I cant stand to use because it would advertise for them.

Old 08-26-2019, 12:41 PM   #9
GMC Rodder

Quote:
I have used MMW arms. best if you dont talk to anyone there, because its a fair product but the guy who takes orders can be a giant pain. I have a set of 2" extended uppers I cant stand to use because it would advertise for them.
I have heard this exact same thing, it's too bad that bad customer service can ruin an otherwise great product.

Did you every mount them up with your wheels? If so, what are your wheel specs? I have no idea what to order, there's so much customizat.
Old 08-30-2019, 01:23 PM   #10
joedoh

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMC Rodder View Post
I have heard this exact same thing, it's too bad that bad customer service can ruin an otherwise great product.

Did you every mount them up with your wheels? If so, what are your wheel specs? I have no idea what to order, there's so much customizat.

the truck I used the full set on was a one off weirdo, I was happy to use spacers after my experience with mmw but I tripped across a new set of uppers for a good price and figured what the heck. they have just sat though, like I said I dont want to advertise for their poopy attitudes.