The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-04-2019, 04:49 PM   #1
67C10Step

What the heck with the wood screws?

I know lots of us got trucks that were worked pretty hard but I just keep finding wood screws in the most unlikely places.

All the ones I found in the cracks of my wood bed didn’t surprise me. You just never know what’s been in the bed. Then I pulled a screw from the passengers side door where the mirror (missing of course) should be. You guessed it, wood screw. Didn’t check further but I’m sure that means the mounting plate is gone.

Then I see an odd size screw in the cowl. Maybe not a wood screw but defiantly not the right size.

I’m growing to love rust and surprises.
67C10Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 05:02 PM   #2
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Re: What the heck with the wood screws?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67C10Step View Post
I know lots of us got trucks that were worked pretty hard but I just keep finding wood screws in the most unlikely places.

All the ones I found in the cracks of my wood bed didn’t surprise me. You just never know what’s been in the bed. Then I pulled a screw from the passengers side door where the mirror (missing of course) should be. You guessed it, wood screw. Didn’t check further but I’m sure that means the mounting plate is gone.

Then I see an odd size screw in the cowl. Maybe not a wood screw but defiantly not the right size.

I’m growing to love rust and surprises.

Most of the time I just find that stuff in the glove box or under the seat. There was a thread a couple of years ago about "what did you find in your truck". You never know what's hiding it the cracks and crevices.

On the mirror plates, they are usually laying in the bottom of the door if the original mirrors were removed. Most people won't go to the trouble of removing the door panel to get them out. Sometimes they are hard to see because they are covered up with debris.

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 05:22 PM   #3
67C10Step

I cleaned and washed out the bottom of my doors a few weeks ago looking for my outside door handle buttons and other parts. No luck. All I found was a PO had ruined the inside arm rest nuts in the doors and had bolted them straight to the door panel. Put that in the “fix it later” category for now.

Found the owners manual and other paperwork in the glove box. Along with a brand new set of point condenser and rotor. They were part of the time up that got it running.
67C10Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 12:45 AM   #4
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

I found a drill chuck key inside the A/C duct. Other than that nothing unusual.
71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assembly kit for restoring the (a) truck from the ground up. My build thread, and more on the assembly kit https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025
71CHEVYSHORTBED402 is offline   Reply With Quote