The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-20-2019, 06:31 PM   #1
my56chevytruck

Brake return spring

This can apply to about any year of truck, but having a 56 I wanted to stay with this forum. I have my MC mounted to the firewall so my brake pedal goes thru it, and have been noticing my brake pedal lagging some on return so I need to mount a return spring, do you have pictures of how you did it and mounted the spring to what part of the brake arm to what did you mount the spring to?? Pictures would be appreciated if you have them. Thanks
my56chevytruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 11:44 PM   #2
MiraclePieCo

Re: Brake return spring

I used a dishwasher door spring I had laying around - about 7" long, with hooks on both ends. I drilled a hole in the pedal arm and hooked the opposite end to a factory hole in the underside of the dash. Mostly hidden unless you look under the dash. Sorry, but you'll have to pay me $20 to crawl under there and take a photo

Last edited by MiraclePieCo; 09-21-2019 at 05:23 AM.
MiraclePieCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 11:59 PM   #3
mr48chev

Dang, you never give that much thought until you have the need for one.
I'd have to say it might depend on how much effort you want to put into installing a spring that will get the job done.

I don't know what those springs are called that work like one of those spring hand grip things that guys use to strengthen their grip but that style might work if you can put it around the shaft that the pedal rides on. a coil spring like Miricalpieco used is probably the simplest. Flat lazy is a shotr bungie cord.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 12:15 AM   #4
Johns327

Maybe something like this since you are using swing pedals.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/55-56-57-Ch...UAAOSwVJVcu-wv

Mine is under the floor and I had to put in a helper string to get my lazy pedal to come completely up.

John
Old 09-24-2019, 04:51 AM   #5
dsraven

before doing too much spring work, maybe disconnect the pushrod to the master cyl and make sure the pedal is free moving. sometimes things can get pretty stiff or even bent and we get used to it slowly so don't think about it. if it used to work fine then check the pivot point bushings by doing the above. the pedal should be free and easy. if it does and a spring is all that's needed try using a longer pin through the pushrod and drill an extra hole in it that will accept a pull type coil spring, like the screen door springs available at the hardware stores. slip a piece of light rubber tubing over it, like from a kids bike tire, and that will stop the spring from making noise as it gets pulled. connect the other end of the spring to something sturdy and/or make a bracket for it that places the spring in the right geometry to pull straight back from the pushrod so it can work well. I have also seen the pedal length extended on the opposite side of the pivot and a heavy coil spring used in that short distance between the firewall and the pedal arm. the shorter the distance from the pivot the heavier the spring needs to be so it can offset the weight of the pedal.
dsraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 06:33 PM   #6
my56chevytruck

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiraclePieCo View Post
I used a dishwasher door spring I had laying around - about 7" long, with hooks on both ends. I drilled a hole in the pedal arm and hooked the opposite end to a factory hole in the underside of the dash. Mostly hidden unless you look under the dash. Sorry, but you'll have to pay me $20 to crawl under there and take a photo
$20 bucks huh? I've got a a similar spring on it now, and I've lubed the piston that comes from the MC to your pedal arm. It's not much but just about 1/4" that the pedal isn't coming all the way out. Let me ask you, where did you drill the hole in the brake arm? near the pivot point or lower??
Old 10-01-2019, 08:21 PM   #7
dsraven

also install a rubber bumper for a pedal stop so you aren't pulling the plunger out of the booster. the booster has a return spring inside so it should be coming back all the way unless it is faulty. if your pedal is returned with a spring and it is not set up properly with a stopper then it could cause some issues. I would say drop the pedal pin to the pushrod, ensure the pedal is swinging freely for the whole stroke and the booster is also returning properly, then install the pedal pin and a rubber pedal stopper so the pedal has an end point to it's return stroke. if it ends up in the wrong height for your foot then adjust the pushrod travel and the bump stop accordingly.
dsraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 11:58 PM   #8
my56chevytruck

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsraven View Post
also install a rubber bumper for a pedal stop so you aren't pulling the plunger out of the booster. the booster has a return spring inside so it should be coming back all the way unless it is faulty. if your pedal is returned with a spring and it is not set up properly with a stopper then it could cause some issues. I would say drop the pedal pin to the pushrod, ensure the pedal is swinging freely for the whole stroke and the booster is also returning properly, then install the pedal pin and a rubber pedal stopper so the pedal has an end point to it's return stroke. if it ends up in the wrong height for your foot then adjust the pushrod travel and the bump stop accordingly.
thanks Dsraven, I've uninstalled, lubed, made sure all was aligned properly, made sure the pedal is swinging freely, etc. I may remove the pedal arm and drill some holes to reduce some of the weight. My next project.
Old 10-05-2019, 12:01 AM   #9
my56chevytruck

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr48chev View Post
Dang, you never give that much thought until you have the need for one.
I'd have to say it might depend on how much effort you want to put into installing a spring that will get the job done.

I don't know what those springs are called that work like one of those spring hand grip things that guys use to strengthen their grip but that style might work if you can put it around the shaft that the pedal rides on. a coil spring like Miricalpieco used is probably the simplest. Flat lazy is a shotr bungie cord.
I've found one of those springs yo were referring to and I just might order one, ensuring the ID is compatible with the OD that I need
Old 10-05-2019, 05:07 PM   #10
MiraclePieCo

Quote:
Originally Posted by my56chevytruck View Post
Let me ask you, where did you drill the hole in the brake arm? near the pivot point or lower??
Lower. The lower the spring is on the arm the better leverage it has. My location is a compromise between good leverage and keeping it hidden beneath the dash.

Do you have a mechanical brake light switch? It could be holding off the pedal.