The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-03-2003, 10:36 AM   #1
crackajacka
Stylin

th350c to th350 conversion

ok i read threw my th350 book and it shows a conversion kit to convert a lockup style 350 to a non lockup style. is there any visible difference between a lockup style converter and a non lockup style?

thanks
Paul

i also posted on the engine&drivetrain board, just thought id post here also since everybody questioned my retardedness when i mention a th350c lol
crackajacka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2003, 10:44 AM   #2
Jonboy
Slots go on anything!

I think there is another set of splines on the output shaft of the trans, like on a 700R4. If so, I would guess there should be a corresponding set inside the converter? I have never had a 350C out to know 100%, but I know it to be true on a lockup 700. Hope this halps a little.
Old 12-03-2003, 11:00 AM   #3
crackajacka
Stylin

well the kit in the book listed the front pump, new spline, n other parts needed to be able to go regular th350 but not change the rest of the trans. im just wondering if the lockup tc's are larger in diameter than a regular tc
Old 12-03-2003, 12:24 PM   #4
Jonboy
Slots go on anything!

FWIW, you might be better off just getting an older TH350, as the cost of the pump and input shaft would probably be around the same as getting an exchange rebuilt one. They usually go about $250-300 exchange here in Dallas, I would bet it is probably close to that in OKC. If your trans is working OK, it would make a good exchange unit.
Old 12-03-2003, 12:39 PM   #5
Slonaker
Insert Witty Text Here

Why convert? If you don't like the lockup, just disconnect it or put it on a switch.

If your transmission is bad, then just ignore this post.

Slonaker
Old 12-03-2003, 02:09 PM   #6
maineiac

The non lockup t/c is smaller and lighter than the lockup but from what I understand from the guy who built mine is there are a couple other things to change including some drilling I would go with jonboy's idea and get another tranny. I just got mine here for 350 and it is sweet .

Steve
maineiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2003, 02:15 AM   #7
jimfulco

Just unhook it. I bought my 79 Sub about 5 years ago with a bad trans & I replaced it with a rebuilt 350C, which works fine unhooked. If I remember correctly (and this is debatable), the 350C converter had a raised flat area on the front, as opposed to a regular 350 converter which did not.
jimfulco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2003, 10:35 AM   #8
Jonboy
Slots go on anything!

the raised flat area at the front is the actual lockup clutch. A normal 350 TC will be round at the front and rear.

I don't know a whole lot about the 350C. I do know that if the lockup is not working on a 700, it will overheat. Will disconnecting the lockup on a 350C do the same thing? I have had it happen when the speedo cable broke on my el Camino, and it got hot enough that the engine temp was raised. It also set a check engine light, with a TCC fault code. That is why I would be hesiant about just disconnecting it. If your trans is fine, it would get you by for a while. A regular 350 converter might be the way to go there. If you are putting in a converter, you almost have the trans out. If it is the original trans, then you have at least 17 years of use on it. That is why I would suggest a 350 swap, and it is (relatively) cheap, if you do the labor yourself.
Old 12-05-2003, 11:26 AM   #9
crackajacka
Stylin

Thank you jonboy your the only one thats answered my question. I only wanted to know about the tc, not everything else. my trans has been unhooked from the day i purchased it and its outlived a rebuilt 305. sry if i come off as an arsehole but tech support for my outgoing mail server has been nothing but SH*T. They have yet to answer my question of why i cant log on, 8 replys and they tell me how to set it up in each reply even tho i could log on just fine 2 weeks ago.
Old 12-05-2003, 11:56 AM   #10
Jonboy
Slots go on anything!

no prob, man. That's why we are all here.