The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-25-2019, 10:33 PM   #1
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Where to find the code number on the early Chevy and GMC door lock cylinders.

-
I was going to post this for member "MiraclePieCo" but he informed me that he has '52 doors on his '49 panel so they are push buttons. I will go ahead and post it since I have it ready, maybe it will be useful to other members. The instructions will be the same for any Chevy or GMC truck that uses this style of lock cylinder on the side doors or rear door, regardless if it has the square shaft or the flat shaft. You may have to clean the area where the code number is located but do it gently with a small wire brush. The spring clip that holds the shaft in place can be brittle and easily broken. The number is small and can be hard to read and some of the codes can be read upside down, so be careful how you look at it. If the cylinder does not have a code number on it a key can still be made by disassembling the lock and reading the wafers. If all of the locks are original to the truck the key should fit the ignition lock and possibly the glove box lock also.

Most full service locksmith shops should be able to cut a key from the code number. Some of the newer locksmith shops may not have the code books for the older vehicles though. If you can't find a locksmith in your area to make a key for your lock or you have any questions feel free to PM me.

LockDoc
Attached Images

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-

Last edited by LockDoc; 09-27-2019 at 02:20 PM.
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 01:03 AM   #2
MiraclePieCo

Re: Where to find the code number on the early Chevy and GMC door lock cylinders.

Awesome Leon - thanks! Maybe Moderators will make this a sticky.
Old 09-26-2019, 06:27 AM   #3
1project2many

Re: Where to find the code number on the early Chevy and GMC door lock cylinders.

Interesting.

Many years ago I inherited a ring of 63 "master cut" keys from a dealership. One key always fit.
1project2many is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 02:19 PM   #4
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1project2many View Post
Interesting.

Many years ago I inherited a ring of 63 "master cut" keys from a dealership. One key always fit.

There should be 64 of them. They are actually try out keys instead of master keys and they will not work in every situation. The problem with them is that each key is cut half way between two code numbers. It may fit one lock on the vehicle but even though the locks on the vehicle are all the same it may not work any of the other locks. They are used to open vehicles when the keys are lost or locked in the vehicle, then the locksmith would make a key from the code number so it would be the correct key for that vehicle.....

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 04:49 PM   #5
1project2many

Quote:
Originally Posted by LockDoc View Post
There should be 64 of them. They are actually try out keys instead of master keys and they will not work in every situation. The problem with them is that each key is cut half way between two code numbers. It may fit one lock on the vehicle but even though the locks on the vehicle are all the same it may not work any of the other locks. They are used to open vehicles when the keys are lost or locked in the vehicle, then the locksmith would make a key from the code number so it would be the correct key for that vehicle.....

LockDoc

Wow. Neat to know. Yes, there were originally 64 keys. They are numbered and '56 was missing. Over the years I've had many keys made after finding one that works in an old lock. I've never had a problem before but now that I know it's possible I'm probably going to have issues every time.
1project2many is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 09:51 PM   #6
mr48chev

When I scrap a car or truck I never throw a key away I have them on a big ring made out of welding rod and they have bailed me or someone else out more than once.

I popped a door lock out and showed a photo like that one here when someone asked how to get a key a couple of years ago. Still good info as a lot of guys don't read every thread.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote