The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-03-2003, 04:48 PM   #1
Clancy68

question about door interchangability

I have a pair of 68 doors off my old cab, and the cab I am loking at getting is a 72. I figured they would fit just fine, becuase all of the front clips interchange. but i read some where, (I don't remeber where) that 68 doors are different than 72. it is just the interior panel thats different? or are they shaped different and incompatable?

Thanks

--Scott
Clancy68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2003, 05:05 PM   #2
rickspickuppart
Account Suspended

they will fit on fine it's just the door panels and the little screw by the vent wdo are the big differences
rickspickuppart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2003, 05:28 PM   #3
Yellow Cheyenne

And the window crank stem is longer on a '72 and I think there is something different about where the clips for the door panels attach-seems one door has some predrilled holes that the other doesn't, but I don't remember which is which. Nothing significantly different in fit and function, with the only visible difference after installation being the vent window reinforcement screw.

Randy
'70 Olds Rallye 350
Yellow Cheyenne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2003, 08:56 PM   #4
dtlilly
Account Suspended

The vent window latch is of a diffent design asthetically speaking. You will have trouble using 72 door panels because the 68's have a shorter window crank stem, as said before.
dtlilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2003, 12:29 AM   #5
Duffy

The 71's and earlier use screws that hold the bottom of the door panel to the door. There are four threaded inserts (basically a square nut that clips into a square hole in the door) that the door panel screws thread into. The 72 door panels don't use screws at all and the doors don't have the threaded inserts. Instead, they use the newer style door panel plastic clips - the kind that push into holes and require a special tool or much care to pop out.

Additional notes on doors:
Many times when removing the door panel screws, the phillips head will strip out making it nearly impossible to remove the screw. I have found that drilling the head off first is a good start. After you remove the door panel, you can reach inside the door and grab the screw from the back side with vice grips. You can then work it back and fourth to loosen it up and then twist it out. I have found it hard to find original screws in good shape so when I go to the junk yard, I look for these and if they come out easy, they go home with me!

So, when looking for doors for a '71 or earlier, you will want to check the square threaded inserts and make sure they are in good shape. A lot of times the threaded inserts will be missing altogether because someone was impatient with a stuck screw and pounded the insert out to get the door panel off. With a bit of work, all of the doors can be switched around, as long as you are willing to swap the parts or drill some holes.

Good luck...

Duff

Last edited by Duffy; 12-04-2003 at 12:32 AM.
Duffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2003, 01:01 AM   #6
Clancy68

thx
Old 12-04-2003, 01:06 AM   #7
Clancy68

What i ment was. Thanks guys, I got the information that i needed, and then some. thanks duff, I will definatly go with that approach to getting my panels off...

--Scott