The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-02-2019, 12:39 PM   #1
Dachshund

Rear Shock Replacement Question

I removed the Lever Shocks from my 47 AD 3600......I have built shock mounts for a modern shock. The question is - what dimensions should I go for (shock wise)? Standard frame height. What length do I need, etc....?
Dachshund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 01:36 PM   #2
mr48chev

Re: Rear Shock Replacement Question

That's kind of a loaded question because we don't all do the mounts exactly the same so shock length won't always be the same.

I'd do this: Measure the distance between the mounting points. that will give you the measurement for the shock in the middle of it's travel in a perfect setup.

Measure the distance between the axle and where it would contact the frame if you loaded it down with bags of cement until you ran out of spring travel. that is your max compression. Subtracting that from the static height measurement gives you your compressed length. As long as the shock won't bottom out before the suspension bottoms out you are good. Most likely you will never haul anything in the truck to have it be a worry but that isn't reason to not do it right.

If you have a way to lift the frame and leave the axle hang you can measure the extended length. Most of the time on a street truck we don't get real critical on extended length like 4x4 guys wanting suspension travel do.

With the compressed length and the extended length you go to the shock catalog and find one the right length with the right ends on it.

this will take going down the page and searching but it is the old school way to do a shock search by length.
http://www.monroe.com/downloads/inst...ifications.pdf
The Monroe number will interchange with what ever brand you want to use.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.

Last edited by mr48chev; 10-02-2019 at 01:50 PM.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 03:31 PM   #3
Dachshund

Thanks for the info!
Dachshund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 02:56 AM   #4
mr48chev

Don't get caught up in the "I gotta have the serious heavy duty ones because it is a truck" thing. I've seen too many people make that decision over the past 60 years and half the time the rig rides way too rough.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote