The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-08-2019, 07:53 AM   #1
Slowguy

My indecisiveness is getting the best of me - colors

Truck is at the metal guy. Won't be long now until I'm ready to drop the cab back on the frame. He's telling me I might as well prime and paint the bottom and firewall now so it's completed and the cab won't ever need to come back off. I agree.

My issue is that I can't decide on the color for the bottom and firewall. Part of me wants to keep the original color (which I believe to be 503 green) because this will mean less to no work on the inside of the cab. My dash pad, roof, dash etc are all in really good condition. On the other hand, it's not my favorite color but it does look nice.

So, if the truck will remain the original color of green, then I think the bottom and firewall will look best the same color. If, on the other hand, I ever decide to change the color, then I should probably use something more neutral like black. I'm a fan of contrast and the frame looks really nice in black. I'd prefer something other than black for the bottom and firewall. Choices - and I'm the worst when it comes to changing my mind!
Attached Images

Slowguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 08:11 AM   #2
Jason Banks

Re: My indecisiveness is getting the best of me - colors

All that floor repair is giving me flashbacks of what I have been working on this summer. I have done about the same repairs and now I'm thinking I wish I had sprung the $500 for the new floor. It is 7 different patch panels on each side but only 3 on each side are for the floor. Would still have to do the kick panel, a pillar, cab corner, and that vertical piece inside door jamb.

Back to the color. The one I'm working on now is Saddle Fawn 68 but I love my 503 green 68. Everyone that see's it loves the color. I remember in the 90's how everyone couldn't stand anything green.
Jason Banks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 11:16 AM   #3
bigmac73

Slowguy,
Not to get into your personal business but what was the estimate for all that metal work?
Progression Ignition /Holley 750 DP/3:73 gear Eaton Limited Slip unit / 2 1/2 exhaust glasspacks
bigmac73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 04:35 PM   #4
71gmcC15

The black would not look bad. But in my opinion. ( wich don't mean anything ) any color then the rest makes it look cheap and unfinished. But like I said that's just my opinion.
04 chevy Silverado 1500 ext cab 5.3 4l60e.
81 chevy Scottsdale k10 muncie sm465 Np208 10 bolt 8.2 ( Old Green)
71gmcC15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 05:10 PM   #5
tim_mc

I like 503 light green as well. However, you might consider going with your favorite color if you're not restoring the truck back to original. You might consider one of the OEM colors so that it's true to the period. Had I not found my 503 green C20, I was planning on painting my C10 medium blue poly/metallic.
Attached Images

tim_mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 07:06 PM   #6
HO455
Post Whore

¿I feel your pain I went back and forth on my 503 Burban (which was purple and silver on the outside and 503 on the interior when I got it.). I literally spent hours going through the paint samples at the body shop and I ended up doing what I consider to be a "light green poly". Which to say it is the closest match to the original paint I could find with a metallic formula like GM could have used back in the day. I also wanted to try and stay with a single stage non custom paint mix. The last photo is the original dash paint with the new paint on the inside of the door. I was trying to live within my budget. At some point the interior will have to get painted and I can go either way at that point. Stock 503 interior or match the exterior. And like Jason Banks the color gets tons of complements.
Just throwing ideas at you.
Attached Images

If it breaks I didn't want it in the first place
The WMB repair thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=698377
HO455 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 08:09 PM   #7
Slowguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmac73 View Post
Slowguy,
Not to get into your personal business but what was the estimate for all that metal work?
I was little thrown back as here is how I understood the metal repair situation:

I had this guy do some rusty rockers on my 02 2500hd a few years ago. he did a good job and it appeared to be a lot of work. He charged me 1600.

I called him up on this job, told him I had all the metal already. Also told him I'd buy a complete floor pan if it would be easier/cheaper. He said he preferred to patch as it looked nicer and was a higher quality job to keep as much of the original metal as possible to to be able to fit the new metal to the original. I said ok.

Now....from what I understood, he said "ah, it'll be about $500 bucks". Instantly, at that price, I was like "ok, I'll have the cab to you tomorrow". I thought that was a steal and actually felt that it was too cheap. He called me the other day and said "I have 27 hours into now and I charge $50 an hour". I was confused as h3ll knowing this is not what we discussed. So I'm up to about 1300 without the metal I purchased. I don't like to argue (unless of course I didn't have the money to pay him) but he is a nice guy and I think he does good work. I just think either he forgot what he told me or realized how much work it actually is and decided this was the best way to get more out of the job.

Either way, he said he has to do a bunch of butt welds, and to help with the cost, I was more than welcome to come over to his garage and grind them down myself. I agreed I would. He also said he recommended to prime and paint the bottom and firewall now as this is a limited opportunity to do it now. I just have to decide on the color...and I'm having a difficult time doing so.

Long story short, and without any more ranting, I think I'll be into this about 1500 (fingers crossed)... but I'll have a completely rust free cab. He did the inner and outer rockers, patches to the front and rear of the cab floor, rear complete cab support, those front small sections of outer cab supports, and the rear cab corners. He said all butt welded (I think that's better somehow? I'm not a body guy obviously).
Old 10-08-2019, 10:14 PM   #8
Indyspecracer

I’m a huge fan of the 503 green. My truck is 507 blue. All metal work is done and the cab is painted. If it was in primer, I would go with 503, 507:is my second choice, so I’m staying with it. I like staying with an original color or a metallic equivalent.

One suggestion before painting is to make sure the door fit is what you want. My cab was done when I bought my project and I had to re do the rockers.
Indyspecracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 08:12 AM   #9
Jason Banks

After doing similar work myself. I don't think that is a bad price and don't think 27-30 hours is unreasonable.

Wow, that grinding is gonna suck and you will probably have some spots that need some more welding after you grind, because there will be some gaps that were not visible with the welds there. If you shine a light from the back side you will be able to easily see the gaps. I have a 4ft light I lay on the floor under the truck while I chase holes from the top.

I have been grinding the welds almost flush but still high and then looking for gaps to hit with the welder again. Then repeat at least a couple more times. Once I think I have them all I grind it flush and find some more
Jason Banks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 07:58 AM   #10
KQQL IT
At the body shop.

I walked thru car lots till I find a color I liked. Or even a car show.
Old 10-10-2019, 06:12 PM   #11
Slowguy

So originally I planned on just painting the rust repairs on the bottom white like IÂ’ve seen many 68Â’s. Still havenÂ’t decided but for some weird reason IÂ’m leaning toward black now. I think contrast is always nice so I am considering a white top all rest black and new chrome side mouldings to break up the side a bit. What do you think? For the time being I could keep the nice green interior and maybe do some black accents to tie it in with the exterior.
Old 10-10-2019, 07:43 PM   #12
Martyt

Seems like a very good price to me!
Old 10-10-2019, 08:13 PM   #13
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Welcome to my world near 30 years. Original Ochre may not have been my first choice, I really like light blue "medium blue", though there are better colors with black. Hugger orange is sure nice, but the world doesn't need another Hugger orange. What the world needs is Ochre.......

Only change this time is full moldings and a deluxe paint job. Ochre has really grown on me. It's a classic color, and I prefer the subtle approach. The truck may not wow the casual fan on the surface, most people dislike Ochre - I'd rather it wow the enthusiast.

So, we're planning on an Ochre Firewall, probably down to the pinch weld, and a black bottom to match the bottom of the bed. Haven't seen that bed yet, the painter says it's amazing, and he'd know. Some concoction he came up with. I'm not certain about the portion of the cab rails that show under the hood. Could be black, could be part Ochre. Come to think of it, might look very cool if the rails were Ochre with a black bottom.....Hmm. I'm a truest to most extent. Sometimes a pinch of subtle distinguishes & improvements are in order, make it your own.
71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assembly kit for restoring the (a) truck from the ground up. My build thread, and more on the assembly kit https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025

Last edited by 71CHEVYSHORTBED402; 10-10-2019 at 08:22 PM.
71CHEVYSHORTBED402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 05:05 PM   #14
bigmac73

I think is sounds like a fair price,just wondering as i am currently stripping my cab getting ready to get it done. I bought a whole new floor pan and will see what the shop wants to do
Progression Ignition /Holley 750 DP/3:73 gear Eaton Limited Slip unit / 2 1/2 exhaust glasspacks
bigmac73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 09:48 PM   #15
ElKotze

Staying with the original color is always a wise choice, especially if it's 503 green.
'72 C20 Cheyenne Super, 396, TH400
'66 C60, 292, 4speed
ElKotze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 06:23 PM   #16
LockDoc
The Older Generation

-
Be decisive, right or wrong, make a decision. The road of life is paved with flat squirrels who couldn't make up their mind....

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote