The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-08-2019, 04:26 PM   #1
FAKKY

Ignition IDeas

Getting closer to reassembly each day.
Hope to start the car here in next week or two.

Looking for ignition ideas. Nothing fancy like a race car want to keep in the them of things - but will be having a dakota dash etc ---- so who did something a little different and that they liked ?

Looking to steal ideas

eg Push button start , FOB , straight key , other ?

eg

https://www.hotrod.com/articles/flam...nition-system/
Old 10-08-2019, 06:49 PM   #2
jweb

Re: Ignition IDeas

It's funny that your post reminded me that I bought a push button and never used it.

It looks like this:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Car-Ignitio...IAAOSwrlpdTT2A

If you're interested in this style and I can find the one I bought, let me know and I'll send it to you for free.
1953 Westerner "canned ham" trailer, rebuilt
1974 Prowler trailer, rebuilt
jweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 10:11 PM   #3
mr48chev

Assuming that your truck came with a 235 and a foot starter I'd just put a hidden but easily reachable push button under the dash where it was out of sight but easy to reach with your hand. It can be where you hit it with your left hand or a couple of inches to the side of the key so you use your right hand. That makes it a simple turn the key and reach to the side and hit the starter button.

Or you can put the fancy and rather gaudy start button like jweb showed on the dash to "modernize" it as several new cars have a similar one.

I prefer a hidden push button as it keeps people from screwing around and pushing it when they shouldn't.

Back in the early 70's I lost my keys somewhere while I was at work and ended up sticking a toggle switch and push button under the dash of the 48 for Ign and start and drove it that way for a long time. My best bud in Texas rode with me all the time and one day he woke up and remarked that I didn't have a key in the switch.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 11:25 AM   #4
FAKKY

Quote:
Originally Posted by jweb View Post
It's funny that your post reminded me that I bought a push button and never used it.

It looks like this:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Car-Ignitio...IAAOSwrlpdTT2A

If you're interested in this style and I can find the one I bought, let me know and I'll send it to you for free.
Well - snap - hard to pass on free.
I'll PM you my address and details and work out how to send you shipping costs. Thats very generous - appreciated.

What did you end up going with ?
Old 10-09-2019, 11:26 AM   #5
FAKKY

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr48chev View Post
Assuming that your truck came with a 235 and a foot starter I'd just put a hidden but easily reachable push button under the dash where it was out of sight but easy to reach with your hand. It can be where you hit it with your left hand or a couple of inches to the side of the key so you use your right hand. That makes it a simple turn the key and reach to the side and hit the starter button.

Or you can put the fancy and rather gaudy start button like jweb showed on the dash to "modernize" it as several new cars have a similar one.

I prefer a hidden push button as it keeps people from screwing around and pushing it when they shouldn't.

Back in the early 70's I lost my keys somewhere while I was at work and ended up sticking a toggle switch and push button under the dash of the 48 for Ign and start and drove it that way for a long time. My best bud in Texas rode with me all the time and one day he woke up and remarked that I didn't have a key in the switch.
Thats a good tip. I might try the push start on the dash but if it looks too out of place/modern move it to under the dash just like you mentioned here.
What did you use to fill the ignition hole - just welded a plate ?