The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-27-2019, 05:42 PM   #1
SunSoaked

Anyone using a repop grill?

The grill in my 85 has most of the tabs broken off and the zip ties aren't cutting it anymore. I recently pulled the entire front end apart and meticulously reassembled it getting it square and gapped just right. I discovered that the square mounting holes in the filler panel are spaced 3/8 wider than those on the grill. No wonder I could never get the screws to match up! And then I noticed the dreaded "Made in Taiwan" marking.
Obviously the PO replaced the original at some point.
So the big question:
Has anyone tried a replacement from LMC, RockAuto, etc and did it actually fit like the original?
SunSoaked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 05:55 PM   #2
TKCR

Re: Anyone using a repop grill?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunSoaked View Post
The grill in my 85 has most of the tabs broken off and the zip ties aren't cutting it anymore. I recently pulled the entire front end apart and meticulously reassembled it getting it square and gapped just right. I discovered that the square mounting holes in the filler panel are spaced 3/8 wider than those on the grill. No wonder I could never get the screws to match up! And then I noticed the dreaded "Made in Taiwan" marking.
Obviously the PO replaced the original at some point.
So the big question:
Has anyone tried a replacement from LMC, RockAuto, etc and did it actually fit like the original?
You will want to get the one from LMC, which is a GM Restoration Grille. I have used several, when rebuilding grilles. They are perfect in every way. They fit great and all the trim parts fit great. I have one more, I can build you a Grille. It will be all new, all the trim parts too. The only parts on this Grille, that won’t be GM Restoration Parts, are the parking lights.
Attached Images

TKCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 01:33 PM   #3
SunSoaked

TKCR,
Thanks for the info. Looking thru my LMC catalog I have another question. They offer "exclusive" headlight bezels that are chrome plated. However, their "exclusive" grill just means it accepts the bowtie emblem but it is not chrome plated.
Why would anyone want a chrome grill with painted bezels?
Am I missing something?
Old 10-30-2019, 06:12 PM   #4
TKCR

Quote:
TKCR,
Thanks for the info. Looking thru my LMC catalog I have another question. They offer "exclusive" headlight bezels that are chrome plated. However, their "exclusive" grill just means it accepts the bowtie emblem but it is not chrome plated.
Why would anyone want a chrome grill with painted bezels?
Am I missing something?
I’m not following. The exclusive grille means it is Licensed by GM and it fits like the original. The 85-87 Grille has never been “chrome plated”. It has the stainless steel moldings, vertical moldings and bow tie. All sold separately or you can use your original moldings & bow tie.
As far as the bezels, it’s your choice if you want painted or chrome plated. I have the chrome plated bezels on my truck.
https://www.lmctruck.com/1973-87-che...nts-chevy-dual
Attached Images

Old 10-30-2019, 10:27 PM   #5
SunSoaked

Yours looks good. I guess I assumed that if the chrome bezels were an option so would a chrome grill. I couldn't picture why one would have a mix on the front end. So your saying GM never offered a chrome grill but did offer chrome bezels?
Old 10-30-2019, 10:47 PM   #6
TKCR

Quote:
Yours looks good. I guess I assumed that if the chrome bezels were an option so would a chrome grill. I couldn't picture why one would have a mix on the front end. So your saying GM never offered a chrome grill but did offer chrome bezels?
No, GM never offered a chrome grille or bezels on the 85-87 Grille.
Old 10-31-2019, 04:21 PM   #7
Nachos82

Oh man, I see I am not the only one who loves the mix of 81-82 bumper lights with the grill lights.

They look so good in the evening with the almost-stacked marker and stacked headlights.
Nachos82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 06:07 PM   #8
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

I used an LMC aftermarket on my 82 and am planning on using one on my 79 the newer ones are great

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote