The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-02-2019, 08:07 PM   #1
msg

Power steering bolt to frame help needed on a 66

I have a few questions on this re assembly I am doing.

Are there any torque specs that exist for the bolts that mount the gear box to the frame through the bracket?
I was looking for torque specs on power steering install on my 66 via a 1972 c10 shop manual and didnt see any. I have a gear box from I think a 72 that had been converted years back before I did my tear down. The 2 bolts that mount the bracket to the frame I torqued at 75 lb as a guess for now.

Are nuts supposed to be used on the bolts that go through the gear box?
I took pics as I did the tear down and I didnt see any nuts being used on the 3 bolts that went through the frame. They did use one nut on the bracket bolt that is at the base of the gear box.

Should I buy longer bolts and use nuts on the gear box to frame?
The bolts that were there just extend into the gearbox without nuts.

Another issue I had was the bolt that is shown in my second pic without the nut..that bolt never tightens up...its just spins. I assumed it stripped and I thought maybe get a bolt long enough to have it go through and tighten up a nut to. Would that be safe?
Attached Images

Old 11-02-2019, 11:45 PM   #2
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

Re: Power steering bolt to frame help needed on a 66

The truck power steering boxes are threaded to 7/16"-14. The style of steering box adapter plate that you have requires that you drill out that lower boss on the steering box and use a locking nut on that stud. If that one bolt you have threaded into the steering box does not tighten up, then you will have to either get another steering box, or drill that one out too and use a longer bolt and a locking nut. My steering box adapter plates come with grade 8 hardware which I feel is necessary on the steering box.
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 09:16 AM   #3
msg

Thank you Captain, Ill get a longer grade 8 bolt to clear the back side enough to tighten up a nut to. Is there a torque spec to follow on this? Or just really tight?
Old 11-03-2019, 11:15 PM   #4
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

The torque specs on a 7/16"-14 grade 8 bolt is 52 ftlbs. However when threaded into the cast iron of the steering box, I would likely only go to about 35 ftlbs.
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote