The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-05-2003, 01:41 AM   #1
gman

steering dilemma

Man, I don't even know where to start on this. Any ideas appreciated. The steering is quick and responsive for about 45 degrees from center either way. But once I turn the wheel more than about 45 degrees either way, I can then turn it an additional 90 to almost 180 degrees before I get any response..........meaning the truck goes straight until I turn it the additional 90 degrees (or a 1/4 of the steering wheel). Hope this makes sense. Scared the hell outta me the first time it happened. Now I'm used to it and expect it. Been doing it for a couple months. Thanks for any help.

Sorry for long post.
Old 12-05-2003, 12:03 PM   #2
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

I'm guessing you have power steering, because if you don't it isn't safe to drive. It sounds like a problem in the steering box itself though. If it was the pump and lack of assist, it would still turn, but noticably harder. There is an adjuster for the pinion shaft on top of the steering box. Just loosen the jam nut and turn the stud clockwise, counting the turns. If it's fairly tight already, I'd pull off that cover and have a look inside at the gear teeth.

Another "possability", but not likely would be a very worn ball joints and tie rod ends. But this usually feels the opposite of what you describe.

HG
hgs_notes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2003, 04:19 AM   #3
ZOOMY

STEERING

Make sure that the coupler at the steering shaft / steering box is bolted securely & that the bolt is there & tight where the coupler bolts to the box.
ZOOMY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2003, 01:54 AM   #4
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

Sounds like a bum box to me.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2003, 05:09 AM   #5
gman

I had read in the service manual about the adjustment on the steering box but was a little unsure about it. After hgs suggested it, I tried it this afternoon and sure enough, worked like a charm. Its a bit "tight" feeling, or a little stiffer steering now but tomorrow, if it doesn't snow like predicted, I'm going to have at it again and tweek it a bit more. I think I need to turn the adjuster out a little so its not so stiff. Thanks again everyone. You guys (and ladies) are really helpful.