The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-05-2003, 11:58 AM   #1
bmg

Steering box seal

Does anyone know what is involved in chaning the seal where the gear from the steering arm goes into the box (the bottom one under the box). I am sure i will have to take the box out to do this. Also if the seal # is known please post. Leaking fluid all over the place. Been cold as sh*t here lately -18 for a couple of weeks now.

Thanks.
bmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2003, 12:10 PM   #2
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Yeah, you have to pull the box out. The seals are different between power sterring and manual. But it's not that hard to do, in fact the hardest is just getting the old seal out if its as tight as mine was.

Just take the pinion shaft nut off, disconnect the steering column, and hoses. Pull the steering arm off. Take the box out. Pull off the top cover and the shaft pulls out, oh yeah, get it to where it would be steering straight ahead. Use what ya got to get the old seal out. On power steering there is 2 seals, one behind the other, but the instructions should be in the parts box when you buy the seals. Put the new ones in, put it back together and reinstall and refill it.

I got my seals at NAPA for about $17. It's the same part number up to like 1976 models.

HG
hgs_notes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2003, 02:55 AM   #3
Gordo

Smile

If your working with a power steering box you can change those seals while the box is in the truck. Disconnect /remove pitman arm (you will need a pitman arm puller), remove the retaining snap ring, start truck and turn the steering wheel all the way to one side (left or right) and hold it TIGHT, do this quickly, the internal pressure will push the old seals out. Be sure to place a pan under the unit when you do this, as the seals blow out so does the fluid.
1942 Oldsmobile
1958 Massey Harris Pony
1951 Wife
Killingworth, Connecticut

May those who love us, love us, any of those who do not love us, may God turn their hearts.
And if God is unable to turn their hearts, may he turn their ankles so we may know them by their limping.

A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; but a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist.
Gordo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2003, 03:02 PM   #4
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

that sounds too easy lol i guess ya pay when ya have to clean up steering fluid all over the fgrame etc lol

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2003, 03:16 PM   #5
bmg

Great thanks guys really apprecitate the help may work on it next weekend. I will try it with the box in the truck first lol
bmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2003, 03:43 PM   #6
Tx Firefighter
Watch out for your cornhole !

It never fails to work. That pressure from the pump doesn't have any trouble popping the seal out. A drain pan is sufficient, it doesn't puke that much.