The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > All 4x4 Tech & Off Roading

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-05-2003, 06:55 PM   #1
angelsairman
Future Owner

Question 1998 S10 Blazer 4X4 problem HELP!!!

I have a 98 S10 Blazer with the V6 and automantic tranny with push button 4WD. When i pushed the 4 hi button it clunked and the light lit up but lost front and rear tires for a second then it clunked again and went back to 2 hi. Now when i push the button it wont do anything unless you stop and put it in neutral then it will sound like an accutator clicking for a second and the light goes out on the 2Hi and the lights on the 4HI and 4LO flash momentarily and still never goes into 4WD. Ive searched through the chiltons manual to no avail. Any Ideas???
Old 12-06-2003, 12:55 AM   #2
Scrub
Collector of rusty Items

I hope you find your problem faster and with less expense than I found mine.

I would take it to a reputable Chevy dealer and have them run the codes. Sometimes they can figure it right out.

My prblem was in a 98 burb and took a year and 2700 bucks to figure out.

On mine we replaced: rebuilt tcase($1300) and computer($500) and actuator($550) and Front axle actuator($129) Plus labor and 10 trips to the dealer at 4 hours each. In the end, we found broken wires that may well have been the cause. I will never know. The tcase did have a real problem. It works now.

Good luck
72 K-20 project, 456 Dana60 front, Corp14 rear w/locker, 265R19.5 tires 20-ply. Warn 12k winches both ends, Cross-over steering with raised tie-rod, Powerbox steering, 4500 watt 120-AC power, Air, Hydraulic aux power, 4 inch lift, 5000 lb air-bags both ends.
Scrub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2003, 11:43 AM   #3
Rooster's 67

Scrub, well put bite the bullit and carry it to the dealer, thier tranny tech has probably seen the problem before he also has access to TSB's and factory repair info(Duh). Or go up to the dealer and ask to talk to the trans tech and be real nice,,,, us technician types can be real nice or real mean,,,,,i mean we dont come to your work and interupt you. And we are paid for what we do,not for just showing up. offer beer and/or money, these creatures respond well to that type of bait.
The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?
Rooster's 67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2003, 03:17 PM   #4
Scrub
Collector of rusty Items

Yeah, I forgot about the beer expense.
Mine cost me 2700 dollars, 5 cases of beer and 3 cases of soda pop.

Walking into the shop at quiting time with a wheelbarrow full of beer will get most of your questions answers. You need to the Radio Shack thing in reverse: "I've got questions, you've got answers"

Good luck.
72 K-20 project, 456 Dana60 front, Corp14 rear w/locker, 265R19.5 tires 20-ply. Warn 12k winches both ends, Cross-over steering with raised tie-rod, Powerbox steering, 4500 watt 120-AC power, Air, Hydraulic aux power, 4 inch lift, 5000 lb air-bags both ends.
Scrub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2003, 02:49 PM   #5
mcgyver42

4x4

Angelsairman,

Check the fuse panel for a burnt fuse. There's one specifically for the 4WD. If that's burnt, it won't shift.

Next you can look for a vacuum hose to the transfer case. There must be vacuum to actuate the shifter.

If neither of these is the problem, then you might be at the mercy of the dealer...
mcgyver42 is offline   Reply With Quote