The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-06-2003, 05:03 PM   #1
76bonanza

Door Question

I replaced my striker bolts don't remember who suggested that but sweet doors close 100% better.

One think on of my doors saggs really bad in the back it rides up on the bolt and that helps it up.

Do bad hinges cause the bad saging?

These are nasty repro doors also.

Been adjusting them for 6 months now and they will never be right just tring to get them close untill I can afford new ones.
76bonanza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2003, 05:18 PM   #2
Jonboy
Slots go on anything!

try picking up at the back of the doors. If you have a lot of movement, you will need to change out the pins and bushings. LMC has a kit that has 8 bushings and 4 pins (for both doors) for about $20
Old 12-06-2003, 05:28 PM   #3
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

have someone move the door up and down while you look if ya see play in the hinges you know ya need the bushing kits or ya can replace the hinges i may have a set laying around if you want to just replace hinges

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2003, 09:20 PM   #4
76bonanza

seems to be more play than I would think should be there. I would think it would be easier to replace the pins than the hinges? Are the hinges you got any good?

Thanks
Old 12-06-2003, 09:28 PM   #5
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

i bought the hinges from ebay and never used them they look real nice tho. the kit from LMC means taking the door off popping out the pins in the hinge putting in these new bushings and the pins they give ya. If your hinges arent egged out where the hinges go it may work ive never done that ive always found new hinges. Hinges are easy enough to install the top hinge has one bolt goin in the wrong way but its under the dashboard theres a coever ya pop off and it unbolts all 9/16 head bolts its prolly easiuer to change hinges than to do the replacement pins

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2003, 01:38 AM   #6
crackajacka
Stylin

well get the pins and bushings then while youve got it apart see if the hinges are bad, i did mine for like 8 a side there pretty cheap n u just get em at the parts store. the crap at oriellys works pretty good they got em hangin on the shelves enough for one door in each package includes 2 kinds of bushings use what works lol
crackajacka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2003, 01:45 PM   #7
78chevstepside

I recently replaced the pin and bushings in my sons 84 elcomino. I removed the door and took hinges off. I bought a gm pin and bushing kit available at any parts store. Often the bushings are very worn. After you get the bushings out the hole is out of round. when you put a new bushing in it takes the shape of the out of round hole. Well if you try to put the pin in it wont fit in the out of round hole. What i did was get a drill bit the size of the pin. Drill a new hole in the bushings. Insert pin. reinstall hardware to door. reinstall door. adjust door good as new.
78chevstepside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2003, 02:37 PM   #8
76bonanza

Did it help alot?
Old 12-07-2003, 04:54 PM   #9
78chevstepside

The door worked great. elcomino doors are real heavy to start with. Changing the pin and bushings usually cures sagging door problems.
78chevstepside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2003, 06:06 PM   #10
crackajacka
Stylin

yea id do new striker bolts if the bolt is worn on top, new striker bolt bushings, pins and bushings theres a big difference. also outline where the striker bolt is and the hinges. the door and everything should line up pretty good if ya put everything back the way its outlined
crackajacka is offline   Reply With Quote