The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-06-2003, 05:52 PM   #1
WRMZ71
Cause the Chicks DIG IT!!

Heater Core hoses

Does it make a difference which way your heater core hoses are routed? Right now I got the top one on the heater core going to the water pump, and the bottom one on the core going to the intake manifold. Is this right? I didn't think there was a difference but i've seen pictures of other trucks with them going the other way?
WRMZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2003, 05:58 PM   #2
Tx Firefighter
Watch out for your cornhole !

It shouldn't make much difference either way.

You'll need to check and see if you have a bi-directional heater core. They were installed on trucks that were originally sold in the southern hemisphere. (I'm kidding with you on that)
Old 12-06-2003, 05:59 PM   #3
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

i dont know about on your trucks but on the newer ones ya have to route them the right way and the hoses themselves are different sizes i think you have em opposite and that causes the flow not to be right and the heat to come out less

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2003, 06:04 PM   #4
WRMZ71

My heat does suck and i'm trying to figure out if them hoses have something to do with it. I don't really feel like pulling the heater box all apart to check to see if gaskets are with a dime.
Old 12-06-2003, 06:53 PM   #5
Andrew68c10

One of your fittings should be restricted so that the water doesn't flow through too fast. Take off the hoses at the manifold and water pump and make sure one of them has a small hole instead of a full size hole. Check your running temperature also. If the thermostat has been removed, you won't get a lot of heat from the heater.
Old 12-06-2003, 09:25 PM   #6
WRMZ71

I just bought a 4 core radiator and put a 195 degree thermostat in it. I think my gauge is off cause it reads 210-230(needle doesn't go clear back down like it should). So i know the thermostat is good but the heat just doesn't seem as warm as it should. It just really fluctuates it seems, some times its nice and warm then others it blows out cool air. The heater core i have in there is probably 4-5 yrs old cause i had to replace it before. The heater box gaskets are there I'm sure there not in the greatest of conditions but could that cause that much heat loss?