The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-07-2020, 05:08 PM   #1
bb400ho

window adjustment?

im trying to finish my 68 gmc project. it is fighting every step of the way. my latest problem is the windows are EXTREMELY tight rolling up and down. the regulators are new, all the channel runs are new including the wing window channel. the doors are aftermarket. i have tried several types of lube and the will loosen up for a little while but by morning they are back to being tight. ive tried wd40, silicon lube,silicone grease and dry graphite lube all with pretty much the same results. it doesn't seem like there is any adjustment anywhere.anyone else had this problem? what lube have you tried that worked?
thanks Bryan
bb400ho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 05:51 PM   #2
HO455
Post Whore

Re: window adjustment?

Are the new channels completely seated in the frames? Any debris will cause them to squeeze the glass from the sides. Have you tried (with the glass lowered) loosening the bolts on the bottom of the channels? Then see if the glass moves easier. If so then it is likely the channels are squeezing the glass from the sides. You may have to remove the channels and reinstall them making sure they are fully seated.
If the wing window isn't fully seated forward as far as possible the channel for the side window will be pushed back
I recommend doing a search for reproduction door problems to see if anyone has posted this before. And of course pictures will help us locate the problem.
Good luck and let us know what you find.
If it breaks I didn't want it in the first place
The WMB repair thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=698377
HO455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 10:43 PM   #3
70'

Just had the same problem. What I found was the channel felt that goes down into the door was not properly placed over the channel and the bottom of the window was having to push the seal away from the channel instead of gliding inside the seal. (the seal was pushed over to one side and the window was wedged between the seal and the channel. Remove the door panel and watch the window base as it goes up and down. I bet that's what it is.
70' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 11:54 AM   #4
bb400ho

ill check that. when i put the channel run in i used weather strip adhesive on both the door and wing window maybe too much?
Old 01-08-2020, 06:50 PM   #5
RustyPile

Quote:
Originally Posted by bb400ho View Post
ill check that. when i put the channel run in i used weather strip adhesive on both the door and wing window maybe too much?
I recently replaced all the door glass weather striping, channel strips, vent window seals, and window regulators... As recommended by Classic Parts of America (the suppler of the parts), I didn't use the first drop of adhesive on any thing.. There is no wind noise, water leaks, or difficulty rolling the windows up or down.. YMMV, as my doors are original to the truck...
RustyPile is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 09:20 AM   #6
bb400ho

i purchased 2 kind of the weather strip, the first was pre-formedand of the same material as the vent window channel. that was so loose it would just fall out. the other stuff had to be folded into the channel and i thought i should glue it to hold it in place. i will truy removing and cleaning the glue off. nothing like creating your own problems