The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-28-2020, 01:39 AM   #1
GMdreamin

55 Project Started

Started a long awaited project this weekend. I've had the truck for two years. It has the stranded rust spots but over all is in good shape, the plan is to pull it off the 3/4 ton frame and put it on a 1984 1/2 ton 2X4 frame using an EZ Chassis kit then installing a 5.3 LS with the automatic trans.
Bonus picture of Sundays sun set with Mt. Adams and the Hop fields
Attached Images

46 Dodge Power Wagon

Last edited by GMdreamin; 01-28-2020 at 02:31 AM.
GMdreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 02:03 AM   #2
joedoh

Re: 55 Project Started

good start!

if there is a problem, I can have it.

new project WAYNE http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=844393
joedoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 01:31 AM   #3
GMdreamin

Was able to get the cab off this weekend. Found mare rust then I thought there was. I have found a 56 that i think is a 1.5 ton for $500
Attached Images

46 Dodge Power Wagon

Last edited by GMdreamin; 02-03-2020 at 01:40 AM.
Old 02-03-2020, 01:44 AM   #4
GMdreamin

Here is pictures of the rust around the windshield and the new donor truck
Attached Images

46 Dodge Power Wagon
Old 02-03-2020, 01:16 PM   #5
dsraven

whatever cab you use, check the door hinge pillars and the cab mount area for rust and rot before you get too far into new frame mounts for the cab. I suggest to ensure the pillars and cab mount metal is good, door hinges are tight, then get the door fitting in the opening well (without latches, so you know the door swings into the correct spot when closing and the latch isn't doing the final fitment work) before taking the cab off the old frame. that way it is sitting in it's original shape and the doors fit like they are supposed to BEFORE you change anything. then set the cab down on the new frame and block it up where you want it.
just my thoughts. it's your truck and your plan. I just know from experience that these old cabs have a way of sneaking up on you with unknowns AFTER you have work done. don't assume the door is sloppy because the hinges are loose. sometimes it's the internal door mounts for the hinges that are cracked and sometimes it's the hinge pillars that are rotten. sometimes it's the hinges that are worn. put it all together and it's a lot of work you didn't know you had coming.
nice find on the big truck cab, they are usually in better shape due to ground clearance and a lot of them sit the winter season out due to less work load. still, the water/melted snow etc gets through the cowl vents onto the floor and causes rot issues with all these old 55-59 trucks.
for lifting the cab you may consider a spreader bar so the cab gets lifted straight up instead of the possible "squish" provided with the strap method. I included a pic of how I made a spreader for the engine lift and it could easily be modified for your scenario with the skid steer. just an idea to consider. the strap method works too, obviously.
Attached Images

dsraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 12:26 AM   #6
GMdreamin

I appreciate the information on checking the cab for rust and damage and will look much closer at the replacement cab. For sure will build a cab spreader bar to use. Thank you for all the information.
46 Dodge Power Wagon