The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-02-2020, 07:55 PM   #1
twoskies

Help with Clutch noise

hi

ok, truck sat for a couple weeks, was waiting for a starter and was on call, got starter installed today, checked starter gear and flywheel clearance, was .021, hooked everything else back up, truck started perfectly, no starter noise, birds were singing, everything was good
let truck warm up, thought id go for a drive, pushed clutch pedal in and grinding noises, when truck is in gear(pedal all the way up) and in neutral, no noise
clutch, pressure plate and throw out bearing only have about 3000 miles on them

i do have about an inch or more of play before clutch engages from the top, after that , its noisy all the way to the floor

Thanks for any help
Old 02-02-2020, 08:19 PM   #2
Mike C

Re: Help with Clutch noise

Still sounds like throwout bearing if it only makes noise when you are pushing in on the clutch.

BUT, I have an 86 K30 that only makes noise RIGHT before the clutch engages all the way but makes NO noise when disengaging, driving, idling, etc. And I haven't figure that out either.
68 Camaro 'vert LT1 & TH700
69 Z/28 355 12.6's @110
69 Chevy Short Step 4 1/2"/7" drop
72 Jimmy 4WD 4spd 4" & 35's
02 GMC 2500HD 4x4 Duramax
Mike C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 11:38 PM   #3
twoskies

ok just went out after the game, lol

sounds kinda tinny, i did remove and reinstall the flywheel cover when i changed the starter, might get lucky, ill check it out tomorrow

Thanks
Old 02-03-2020, 03:22 PM   #4
twoskies

Ok was not the inspection plate. Flywheel is hitting starter gear when pushing clutch pedal in Anyone had this issue. Shim starter or. ? Thanks
Old 02-03-2020, 05:19 PM   #5
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

You may have a bad thrust gearing if the crankshaft moves that much. Gently pry the flywheel back and forth. If there is noticeable movement, a crankshaft job is in your near future. I guess it could be the starter Bendix drive spring. If the crank doesn't move, pop the starter motor off and check that out.

'70 Chevy 3/4T Longhorn CST 402/400/3.56 Custom Camper

Simi Valley, CA
Steeveedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 09:58 PM   #6
twoskies

had a little more time and a quick helper tonite, flywheel is not moving back and forth like i thought, did not start truck when i was under it, turned by hand under truck, still think its hitting starter drive gear, called Jegs, good people, tech told me to shim inside bolt closest to the block, will roll the starter out of the way, tried , did not make any difference, think im going to pull starter in the morning and get it headed back for a swap
the weird thing is no matter how i shim starter, it still engages and starts the truck with no noticeable grinding or after whine noise

Thanks
Old 02-03-2020, 10:56 PM   #7
twoskies

got bored and its 54 degrees here, 3rd of February, who would've thought, removed starter and got it boxed ready to ship tomorrow, did notice very ends of starter gear were very shiny like they had been grinding

should get a replacement within a week, will update

Thanks
Old 02-03-2020, 11:39 PM   #8
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

Good news! Parts just don't seem to be like they used to be. Used to be you bought an alternator or starter motor, it worked just fine. I still usually rebuild my own, but I put a rebuilt alternator on my truck because I couldn't get the rotor out of the front frame, no matter how I tried. All it needed was a replacement front bearing. I bought a rebuilt alternator and it had a bad hot diode out of the box! Killed the battery dead. I discovered the bad diode when I was charging the dead battery and found the alternator was hot- classic shorted diode symptom. It was still warm when I got to the parts store with it.

'70 Chevy 3/4T Longhorn CST 402/400/3.56 Custom Camper

Simi Valley, CA
Steeveedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 08:16 AM   #9
Mike C

You can always switch to a non-supported nose starter where only the drive gear goes in the bellhousing. I’m running one of those on my Jimmy in place of the bellhousing mount starter and it works well.
69 Z/28 355 12.6's @110
Old 02-10-2020, 06:42 PM   #10
twoskies

update

got the new starter, got it put on and still noise when pushing clutch in, guess ill be tearing into that , next couple weeks, really dont want to pull motor, can i just pull driveshafts(need to replace ujoints anyway) and drop the transmission, needs new fluid also

any suggestions on making job easier very much appreciated

Thanks
Old 02-11-2020, 08:41 AM   #11
Mike C

It’s not an easy job. Is this a 4x4 truck? If pulling the trans, remove driveshafts, remove T-case. Remove bolt in hump which means carpet comes out. Remove top of trans and use an engine hoist through the door to lift trans slightly. Roll truck forward, lower trans if removing it. If just doing clutch stuff may be able to get to everything just by having trans moved to the rear.
69 Z/28 355 12.6's @110