The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain > LSx Swaps

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-16-2020, 10:55 PM   #1
Pontitruck

Brake Switch Hookup, AAW

Hi guys, I am back to working on the project from hell I purchased from a family last year. So I am installing the American Autowire kit that came with and am wondering about the brake light switch. I have the 4 terminal switch to hook the TCC wire to, but my question is about the aaw wiring itself. There are 2 connectors, one with a white and medium blue, the other is a double orange that says 12v fused. I know the blue wire is for third brake light and the white goes on the first terminal closet to the plunger end. Am I suppose to plug the double orange in next to it? I know the third one back is for 12v on run and start, I'm just confused and there is no mention in the instructions.

Thanks guys!
Pontitruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 03:14 AM   #2
REDROCKER652002

Re: Brake Switch Hookup, AAW

According to AAW web site, the two orange wires go to the 12v feed. My son's is a 69, so not sure if they are the same or not. Here is the link to the AAW site.

https://www.americanautowire.com/pub...20IN%207.0.pdf
REDROCKER652002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 09:15 AM   #3
Pontitruck

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDROCKER652002 View Post
According to AAW web site, the two orange wires go to the 12v feed. My son's is a 69, so not sure if they are the same or not. Here is the link to the AAW site.

https://www.americanautowire.com/pub...20IN%207.0.pdf
Those are different than my instructions but my kit is really old.
If I put the orange wires on do I still need to put 12v to the second set of terminals for my NSS that is on the 4l60e? I may need to call AAW...
Thanks
Old 02-17-2020, 10:27 AM   #4
nsb29

According to my wiring diagram you have one of those orange wires coming from your fuse panel and going to the brake light switch the other orange wire comes off of your brake light switch and goes to your glove box lamp and accessory connection the other side of the brake light switch you have a blue wire that goes to your third brake the other wire is white and it goes to your steering column which is for your brake light As far as your switch is concerned not knowing exactly which which you have as mine the ones closest to the button are for the brakes the two rear ones are for transmission and cruise control they have to have a separate power feed that is switched if you are unsure you can use an ohmmeter and operate to switch to figure out what you have the one for the brake lights should only have continuity when the plunger is extended I assume you are running the wires for your transmission or was this dun by AAW hope this works for you Did yours come with a diagram like this I am sending it into pieces as it is too long to get in one picture
Old 02-17-2020, 10:30 AM   #5
nsb29

Name:  271E1CF8-1ED8-487F-85F6-E80163F6A2DF.jpg
Views: 2315
Size:  35.6 KB

Name:  03C051F1-2A4D-4CF4-AF57-6E8A734D2F5B.jpg
Views: 2350
Size:  46.3 KB
Old 02-17-2020, 11:09 AM   #6
bigmoe

I saved this a while ago if it helps?
Attached Images

bigmoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 11:10 AM   #7
MDPotter

Without a wiring diagram for your switch, it's hard to say. Also depends on the vintage of your engine - Gen III needs 12V with brakes applied whereas Gen IV needs 12V when brakes are NOT applied (no signal when brakes applied). To figure out how to get that signal from your switch, I would use a tester to determine which pin will give you the signal you need.

I'm assuming you have a Gen III since you have a 4L60E, if so you should be able to connect the white to your TCC wire and be done.
1978 Chevy Scottsdale K20
1993 Chevy C1500 - 5.3/T56 swapped
2008 Silverado Duramax
MDPotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 12:58 PM   #8
Pontitruck

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsb29 View Post
I did not get this with my kit, thanks

I dug through a box of receipts and found this wiring diagram, thanks for bringing it to my attention

Last edited by Pontitruck; 02-17-2020 at 08:09 PM. Reason: Added info
Old 02-17-2020, 12:58 PM   #9
Pontitruck

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmoe View Post
I saved this a while ago if it helps?
This is the switch I’m using, thanks
Old 02-17-2020, 01:01 PM   #10
Pontitruck

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDPotter View Post
Without a wiring diagram for your switch, it's hard to say. Also depends on the vintage of your engine - Gen III needs 12V with brakes applied whereas Gen IV needs 12V when brakes are NOT applied (no signal when brakes applied). To figure out how to get that signal from your switch, I would use a tester to determine which pin will give you the signal you need.

I'm assuming you have a Gen III since you have a 4L60E, if so you should be able to connect the white to your TCC wire and be done.
Thanks, it is a Gen III DBW. I will be attaching the TCC wire to it but I am using the factory switch down on the trans as my NSS, because I have an aftermarket column shift that does not have a provision for the NSS.

Thanks!
Old 02-17-2020, 01:28 PM   #11
ls1nova71

To wire up the brake switch pictured, you would hook the first set of contacts, the two closest to the plunger, to the orange wire and the white wire. The orange should be a constant hot, coming from the fuse box, more precisely the brake light fuse, and the white wire will go to the brake lights, although generally not straight to them, as it will usually go to the turn signal switch first. The second set of contacts, the furthest from the plunger will go to the TCC wire in the PCM C1 pin 33 on one contact, and then an 'ignition hot' on the other one. You don't want the torque converter to be on a constant hot circuit. If you are planning on using cruise control, you will also need to hook up the pin 6, light blue wire in the TAC module harness to the white brake light wire.

5.3 swap into my RUSTY '71 C10
http://ls1tech.com/forums/conversion...71-c-10-a.html
ls1nova71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 02:09 PM   #12
Pontitruck

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls1nova71 View Post
To wire up the brake switch pictured, you would hook the first set of contacts, the two closest to the plunger, to the orange wire and the white wire. The orange should be a constant hot, coming from the fuse box, more precisely the brake light fuse, and the white wire will go to the brake lights, although generally not straight to them, as it will usually go to the turn signal switch first. The second set of contacts, the furthest from the plunger will go to the TCC wire in the PCM C1 pin 33 on one contact, and then an 'ignition hot' on the other one. You don't want the torque converter to be on a constant hot circuit. If you are planning on using cruise control, you will also need to hook up the pin 6, light blue wire in the TAC module harness to the white brake light wire.
Thanks Nova, where does the relay wiring from the switch on the trans go to or is it separate of the brake switch?
Old 02-17-2020, 03:40 PM   #13
LS short box

In a nut shell the brake light switch closes when the plunger is depressed sending 12 volts to the brake lights. The TCC needs just opposite, when the plunger is depressed the contact opens to disengage the lock up converter. So using a multi meter set to ohms when the plunger is depressed. the brake switch contacts should allow current flow when the plunger is depressed. The TCC contacts should not allow current flow when the plunger is depressed the meter showing an open contact.
LS short box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 05:51 PM   #14
ls1nova71

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS short box View Post
In a nut shell the brake light switch closes when the plunger is depressed sending 12 volts to the brake lights. The TCC needs just opposite, when the plunger is depressed the contact opens to disengage the lock up converter. So using a multi meter set to ohms when the plunger is depressed. the brake switch contacts should allow current flow when the plunger is depressed. The TCC contacts should not allow current flow when the plunger is depressed the meter showing an open contact.
Technically this is completely backwards from the way it works. The plunger is released when the brake pedal is depressed and is pushed in when the brake pedal is released. The switch's resting position when NOT installed in a vehicle is to have the brake light circuit of the switch closed, or in other words brake lights "on".

Old 02-17-2020, 05:52 PM   #15
ls1nova71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pontitruck View Post
Thanks Nova, where does the relay wiring from the switch on the trans go to or is it separate of the brake switch?
The NSS is completely separate from the brake switch in a swap. The factory uses it for a shift interlock, but you most likely dont have that.

Old 02-17-2020, 07:13 PM   #16
Pontitruck

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls1nova71 View Post
The NSS is completely separate from the brake switch in a swap. The factory uses it for a shift interlock, but you most likely dont have that.
Ok, I thought they were tied together, thanks!
Old 02-17-2020, 10:35 PM   #17
LS short box

Sorry I messed that up. It should of read when the plunger is released not depressed. My bad.
LS short box is offline   Reply With Quote