The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-07-2020, 01:13 AM   #1
conoco

Gauge cluster fuse no power

Can anyone tell me where the ground for the gauge cluster is. I dont have power to the fuse for the gauge cluster dash lights. I can put the plug into the back of the gauge cluster and I have tested each circuit on the board and it seems most of them work. I checked all the other fuses and the are hot. I just dont have power the the cluster fuse location. Any help would be great. Thank u.
conoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2020, 01:24 AM   #2
TBONE1964
Cluster King

Re: Gauge cluster fuse no power

Quote:
Originally Posted by conoco View Post
Can anyone tell me where the ground for the gauge cluster is. I dont have power to the fuse for the gauge cluster dash lights. I can put the plug into the back of the gauge cluster and I have tested each circuit on the board and it seems most of them work. I checked all the other fuses and the are hot. I just dont have power the the cluster fuse location. Any help would be great. Thank u.
The power for the dash lights comes from the headlight switch. The park light fuse should power the headlight switch and send power through the grey wire.

The ground for the entire cluster is the black wire at the number 7 spot on the cluster connector. If your ground is bad, nothing in the cluster works.

The “gauge “ fuse only powers the temp and fuel gauge through the pink wire on the number #3 location on the connector.

Your dinner reastate may be bad not passing power through the grey wire. I would check power on the grey wire out of the headlight switch first.

Hope this helps

I am also a dealer for Counterpart for gauge cluster parts only.

Also see my facebook page, CG&C
TBONE1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2020, 01:35 AM   #3
conoco

There is no power to the grey wire from the switch. I unplugged the switch and the only on that has power is the red one right next to it. You think it could be the switch? The button was stuck when I when to take it out. I had to play with it just to get the nob to release. I check and the blinker lights work with everything plugged into the cluster.attached is what I'm thinking is the grey wire right? Wouldnt I have power at the fuse with the headlight switch completely unplugged? Every other fuse has power.
Attached Images

Old 03-07-2020, 01:47 AM   #4
conoco

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBONE1964 View Post
The power for the dash lights comes from the headlight switch. The park light fuse should power the headlight switch and send power through the grey wire.

The ground for the entire cluster is the black wire at the number 7 spot on the cluster connector. If your ground is bad, nothing in the cluster works.

The “gauge “ fuse only powers the temp and fuel gauge through the pink wire on the number #3 location on the connector.

Your dinner reastate may be bad not passing power through the grey wire. I would check power on the grey wire out of the headlight switch first.

Hope this helps
Also, from the cluster connection with the key in the ON position (1,3) terminal are all that has power. 7 doesnt. And 9 and 10 only do when I turn the blinkers on like they should. I just replaced the circuit board but like I said the circuits have power. Atleast most of them do. I had the head light switch disconnect the entire time I tested those terminals. Not sure if that makes a difference.
Old 03-07-2020, 11:47 AM   #5
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:
Originally Posted by conoco View Post

This is where the original cluster ground wire connects to the dash. From the dash the wire goes into the wire loom and comes out at the cluster plug. The metal spring clip has "teeth" on it that bite into the metal flange. Remove the clip and re-install it to make sure it is making good contact.

LockDoc
Attached Images

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2020, 03:46 PM   #6
conoco

What other wires to check

Dash lights dont work. The fuse for the panel has no power. All the rest of the fuses do. The ground has been cleaned still doesnt have power. I replaced the head light switch, still no power. Everything was working last week. I dont know what wires to check now. The bulb to the blinkers work. The circuit board when connected works for the ones that dont rely on the fuse panel for lights. None of the wires look burnt. I have no idea what to trouble shoot next. If anyone could help. Thank u.
Old 03-07-2020, 04:35 PM   #7
RustyPile

Re: What other wires to check

Power for the dash lights comes from the head light switch through the tail light circuit. Before going to the dash lights, the current passes through the dimmer rheostat. If the tail light fuse is blown, or not making good contact, the dash lights won't work. Also check to be sure the pull knob isn't rotated counter clockwise enough that the dash lights are fully dimmed. If the rheostat itself is bad, the dash lights won't work.

FYI - When doing electrical troubleshooting, a wiring diagram is your best tool. if you don't have a wiring diagram, get one here: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=185856
RustyPile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2020, 05:17 PM   #8
LockDoc
The Older Generation

-
Threads have been merged. Please only post one thread per problem.... It is confusing when you start two threads on the same problem.

Thanks,
LockDoc, Moderator

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote