The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-13-2020, 08:23 PM   #1
Tvix

Upgrade stock motor

Hi all,

Looking to upgrade under the hood a little bit. Got a leaky carb so was planning on replacing with a Edelbrock 600.

Wanting to get headers as well. I think I’m going to go with Doug’s. A bit confused on which to go with. And Is ceramic worth it?

I also want to run 2.5” duals. Is it better to buy an exhaust kit or buy the muffler and have a shop do the rest? Still deciding on mufflers, any favorites?

This is my first sb 350 so any help is much appreicated.

https://www.summitracing.com/search/...oview=SKU&ar=1
Attached Images

Tvix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2020, 08:26 PM   #2
68 P.O.S.

Re: Upgrade stock motor

Which engine do you have and what's already been done to it?

The Doug's Tri-Ys are perfect. They work in the rpm range you need. Yes, the ceramic coating is worth it. Not only is it a nice finish, but it insulates the headers. Since they're high quality headers, keep them tightened at the right torque, and you'll never have any issues with them.

Last edited by 68 P.O.S.; 03-13-2020 at 08:34 PM.
68 P.O.S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2020, 09:17 PM   #3
Tvix

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68 P.O.S. View Post
Which engine do you have and what's already been done to it?

The Doug's Tri-Ys are perfect. They work in the rpm range you need. Yes, the ceramic coating is worth it. Not only is it a nice finish, but it insulates the headers. Since they're high quality headers, keep them tightened at the right torque, and you'll never have any issues with them.
It’s an all stock 350 as far as I can tell.
Old 03-13-2020, 11:15 PM   #4
68 P.O.S.

Well, if you're trying to wake up a stock engine, there's several improvements you can make. However, its very easy to keep going and going and going lol. Headers are a good start, just don't expect a monster improvement on a stock engine. Do you still have the stock intake manifold? An Edelbrock EPS or Performer RPM intake manifold is a great replacement. The Edelbrock 1406 is a great carb to go with. Kind of set it and forget it for a daily driver...however there's a few accessories you must buy to make them perform optimally. First off, you need a heat insulating gasket between the carb and the intake because Edelbrocks are notorious for heating up and percolating fuel. This shows up as the engine being hard to start after it is fully warmed up. The ethanol in today's fuels don't help this either. Also, Edelbrocks are sensitive to fuel pressure. So a fuel pressure regulator set to 5.5 psi must be used, or a fuel pump that puts out a max of 6 psi. Otherwise it causes the carb to flood, resulting in it running real crappy. Also, you will need a calibration kit to setup the carb to your engine. A new camshaft is the item that will really wake your engine up. Another thing that will really help is recurving the distributor. It's easy to keep going and going....
68 P.O.S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2020, 11:16 PM   #5
randy500
Account Suspended

Edelbrock carbs are a downgrade from a quadrajet.
randy500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2020, 12:00 AM   #6
WorkinLonghorn

On a bone stock engine like the one I am running, if I wanted more performance I'd put on a set of Vortec heads and get a cam with a bit more lift. I'm no expert but I kinda doubt that headers will do much to an old tired stock 350. With Vortec heads you will get a bump in compression and better flowing heads (I am told). With higher lift you will get better torque down where you need it with a truck.
The Edelbroch performer RPM is for 6500 RPM performance and I doubt that this is for you. Stock or the Performer sounds more suitable. Others with great experience will be here soon I am sure . I'm sorta talking out my rear anyway.-BA
'69 GMC C2500 Custom Camper, 8 1/2' bed, New GM 350, NP 435 Close Ratio 4spd. Trans., 3.73 Dana-60 open.Camper and Trailer wiring, PS, PB, AC, tach , three gas tanks, 2nd owner, Work-Truck supreme. Best $300 I ever spent.
WorkinLonghorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2020, 12:21 AM   #7
RustyPile

Quote:
Originally Posted by randy500 View Post
You beat me to it... A better choice would be either fix/rebuild the Q-Jet (first choice) or install a Holly 600-650 cfm, vacuum secondary, electric choke carburetor.. About the best use for an Edelbrock carb I can think of is place it in the bottom of your trash can.. It'll help keep the shop fan from blowing the can across the shop..
RustyPile is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2020, 01:27 AM   #8
Tvix

I guess I’m looking for some sound followed by a little more power so I figured exhaust would be first. I don’t want to do too much before I upgrade the suspension, it’s lowered and sways a lot.

I’m liking the series 40 fm, going to get a quote from the local shop on installing those.

I’ll avoid the Edelbrock and look into maybe rebuilding it instead as it runs great as is.
Old 03-14-2020, 01:42 AM   #9
jimijam00

I wouldn't spend more than an extra $50 on the ceramics.
jimijam00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2020, 02:06 AM   #10
Richard

Quote:
The Edelbrock Quadrajet on my truck looks like a carbon copy of the original inside and out. It even has Quadrajet cast into the part. Lots of years ago I had heard Edelbrock bought the rights and castings. Are they not producing these anymore?
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2020, 04:22 AM   #11
randy500
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard View Post
The Edelbrock Quadrajet on my truck looks like a carbon copy of the original inside and out. It even has Quadrajet cast into the part. Lots of years ago I had heard Edelbrock bought the rights and castings. Are they not producing these anymore?
They quit making quads quite a while ago now, 10ish years i believe.
Those are good edelbrocks, as good or slightly better than the original quads.
randy500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2020, 08:27 AM   #12
tinman_local2

The edelbrock avs 2 is a great carb. The one we just installed is a 1906. Has an upgraded nozzle system that creates a spray vs. just squirting fuel. We put it on a 350 with 487x heads and a mild cam. Throttle response is great and only did some minor tuning to the idle mixture screws.
tinman_local2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2020, 08:49 AM   #13
rockyrivermark

I did almost exactly what you are asking about 3 years ago.
Stock 350.
Added eddy performer intake
Eddy 1406
HEI dizzy
Summit brand ceramic coated heaters
2.5 custom dual exhaust
Flowmaster44 deltas
A couple dress up parts
That 350 screams pretty darn good.
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by rockyrivermark; 03-14-2020 at 01:23 PM.
rockyrivermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2020, 11:03 AM   #14
jocko

Quote:
x3. I'd approach this as a learning opportunity and rebuild your first Q-jet. Not a difficult task and you'll learn a bunch. I'm not anti-Edelbrock carb, but the few I've had have seemed to need rebuilding more frequently than the Q-jets I've had. Not necessarily a data point, but just my personal experience with them. Or look at it this way - if you buy the Q-jet rebuild kit and don't like the results, you're only out the cost of a kit and then you can go buy the Edelbrock.

As for headers, yes ceramic coating is better - painted headers rust out quickly, regardless of paint type. Having said that though, considering the cost of the coated header packages you provided the link to - I'd have to ask what your ultimate goal is for the truck. I used to slap headers on everything, but over time I've come to just stick to the ram's horns - they are cast iron, and reliable. Headers seem to eventually leak, and even coated ones I've had have eventually rusted at least a little. But it's a judgement call - if you do decide to buy headers, the key thing I look for is a thick flange where it bolts to the head. As for mufflers, If you have a reliable (old school) muffler shop nearby that will do custom work, by all means I'd only purchase the mufflers and then take it to them.
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2020, 12:49 PM   #15
truckster

If by upgrades, you mean louder, get the headers. They're not going to improve flow over your rams horn stock manifolds for a stock engine. The Quadrajet is the best carb you're going to find for that engine. Before you start putting parts on it, you might want to run a compression test. If it's the stock engine, it's 50 years or so old, and probably has a couple of hundred thousand miles on it. It's likely pretty tired by now, and at that point it gets really easy to throw money at it.

My advice is that you decide either to rebuild the carb (or get one from National Carburetor - $199 right now: http://www.nationalcarburetors.com/l...partnum=nd4213) or make a plan that includes the possibility of having to completely rebuild the engine if you want to make more power.
Old 03-14-2020, 02:25 PM   #16
69 C10 LWB

Go with the Edelbrock. Quadra jets are good when new but if there is anything wrong with it they can be hard to rebuild. They are not that hard to rebuild, but they are hard to rebuild correctly. I’ve installed Edelbrocks on 6 different trucks and they all ran great. Several were daily drivers. Keep in mind if it has a factory manifold you will need an adapter. Factory intakes are spreadbore and most aftermarket carbs are square bore. Definitely go for ceramic coating on the headers. Don’t put a Holley on there. They are great for race cars but not as good for a daily driver type vehicle.
69 C10 LWB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2020, 12:13 AM   #17
67 twins

Stay with the Quadrajet. There simply is no better carburetor for a stock or mildly built daily diver.
Edelbrock carburetors are good for wasting gas, that's about it
72 C1500 Sierra Grande 350 TH350 longbed fleetside=wife's fair weather truck
Can you tell we are fans of longbed fleetsides & 67s
Chris
67 twins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2020, 09:43 AM   #18
Rick Bollinger

Well as clean as that engine compartment and engine is I don't think that's an original stock engine. Or at least never been freshened up. I am going to mix it up a little if you want something self tuning then go with Fi Tech fuel injection.
Rick Bollinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2020, 10:57 AM   #19
Tvix

Truck was built 8 years or so ago and I believe the engine was rebuilt as well, has about 7k miles since the build. It feels stock (based on power) and runs very well and smooth.

I’ve decided to keep the horns and have a shop run some new pipe and throw on some flowmasters. I am just going to rebuild the Quadrajet as well.

I am considering the idea of building a badass engine outside of the truck and throwing it in down the road.. lots of options really need to figure out my goals for this truck. I appreciate all the input.
Old 03-15-2020, 12:24 PM   #20
truckster

That sounds like a wise plan.
Old 03-15-2020, 01:12 PM   #21
54blackhornet

In my opinion headers suck ! Same for anything other then a QJet. The factory rams horns perform great for normal use . Just my thoughts after trying what you’re thinking to do. Save your bucks for a LS conversion.
Old 03-15-2020, 11:27 PM   #22
BCOWANWHEELS

get a set of repop 2.5 in outlet vette exhaust manifilds. headers stink and heat the floor up not to mention rust out quickly jmo use caddy eldo mufflers, there 2.5 and there 60 bucks a set on amazon
I BELIEVE IN JOHN 3:16
BCOWANWHEELS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 07:32 PM   #23
69Tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCOWANWHEELS View Post
get a set of repop 2.5 in outlet vette exhaust manifilds.
Are you talking about these manifolds?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Chevy-SBC-3...4383.l4275.c10
69Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 12:24 AM   #24
BCOWANWHEELS

Yep, i,am doing a set right now on my 72- c10 with a early (real ) lt1 350/350 build. I ported and polished the inside also.
Old 03-17-2020, 12:26 AM   #25
BCOWANWHEELS

And the early 70,s eldorodo mufflers makes a excellent combo. Doing a h pipe also