The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-14-2020, 04:20 PM   #1

Black white wire / fuse driver side engine compartment

What is it for? Glass broke and I cant get the ends out of each side. Truck still idles with the ends not connected but i am not sure what it's for. I tried finding in the schematic. Looks like it's for the alternator. But not sure what it's purpose is.
Attached Images

337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2020, 04:38 PM   #2
RustyPile

Re: Black white wire / fuse driver side engine compartment

That's one half of the ammeter shunt circuit.. The other half is another 18 ga. wire (black with no tracer) coming off the distribution block mounted on the pass side fender near the battery. It also has an inline fuse/holder. The 2 fuses protect the ammeter circuit, the meter won't work without the fuses. Replace it/them....
RustyPile is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2020, 04:53 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyPile View Post
That's one half of the ammeter shunt circuit.. The other half is another 18 ga. wire (black with no tracer) coming off the distribution block mounted on the pass side fender near the battery. It also has an inline fuse/holder. The 2 fuses protect the ammeter circuit, the meter won't work without the fuses. Replace it/them....
I found the other one and it is good....lol now what is that that you desc and what does it do or its purpose? Ammeter circuit? I will have a hard time getting the ends out of the one that broke inside.
Old 03-14-2020, 05:12 PM   #4
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:
Originally Posted by 337 View Post
I found the other one and it is good....lol now what is that that you desc and what does it do or its purpose? Ammeter circuit? I will have a hard time getting the ends out of the one that broke inside.

It won't make any difference as far as the truck running and driving, just the ammeter won't work. They don't work worth a crap anyway so it's not a big deal...

You should be able to get the parts out with an "O" ring pick. Spray a little penetrating oil in there and work the pick around the outside of the fuse end to loosen it up and pry it out. Watch you don't poke your finger with the pick, it hurts. If you have a small pair of hobby type needle nose pliers or a pair of heavy duty tweezers they might help.

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2020, 05:37 PM   #5
RustyPile

The Ammeter is a gauge that measures and displays the Alternator charging rate. The ammeter is sometimes mislabeled Ampmeter, battery gauge, and yes, sometimes even voltage gauge.. Shunt is a word used to describe a circuit that "samples" the current flow and it's "direction of travel" -- charge or discharge. Since the total current flow doesn't go directly through a shunted meter, a fuse failure doesn't stop the charging system from working.

If you are unable to remove the fuse pieces, simply replace the fuse holder with a more conventional "twist-lock" fuse holder.. Since the current flow through the meter shunt is very low, and the fuses are in place to protect only the meter, a 3 - 4 amp fuse will work just fine..
RustyPile is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2020, 06:00 PM   #6

Ohhhh...the amp meter...duhhhh..okay. gotcha. Cool I got bigger fish to fry to get this ready for an inspection. Thanks for the tips on getting it out. I'll work on that as soon as I get the truck to my garage where all my tools are.

Thanks for quick replies. It a Saturday working on the truck and the replies helped. Love this forum and if I can give yall rep points, I will.
Old 03-15-2020, 10:37 AM   #7
Sheepdip

When you get more time get a hold of TBone on this forum and have him set you up with a volt meter that replaces that worthless amp meter. Then you will really know what your charging system is doing.
Sheepdip is offline   Reply With Quote