The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-17-2020, 06:53 PM   #1
cerealwars

1962 Steering Column - Parts missing?

Hey All,

I've been working on returning this truck back to stock since last summer. Previously installed was a 15" Grant wheel; my scrawny little twig arms weren't up for that. Now I'm having problems with getting the stock steering wheel and turn signal area correct.

First of all, I don't think I have a cancelling cam for the turn signals. They do not disengage on their own and I don't see anything behind the wheel that would perform this function.

Second problem I'm having is the steering wheel is sloppy after putting it back together. Probably a quarter inch or better of radial play. It slops around and allows the upper shaft bearing (the one with the horn wiring and contact surface attached) to come out of where it should be seated. I believe I'm missing some washer-type piece that ought to be directly sandwiched between the steering wheel and the upper shaft bearing.

For a minute, I suspected that piece might be the turn signal canceling cam.
Everywhere I see online lists them as being all the same for 60-66. However, upon receiving one today and attempting to install, I can't find a way to fit it in there.

Does anyone have an exploded diagram of a 1962 steering column? I've seen plenty for '64-'66 and some for '63 but unfortunately those haven't been much help.

Any and all help appreciated, you guys form an awesome community here! Thanks in advance.

EDIT: Pics don't seem to be working. In the meantime, here's an old-fashioned link to where they're hosted.
https://imgur.com/a/aiwmvw2

1962 C10 SWB, 350 + SM420
Goal: fun summer daily

Last edited by cerealwars; 03-17-2020 at 08:38 PM.
cerealwars is offline   Reply With Quote