The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-30-2020, 07:33 PM   #1
longblue72

Wasted time

Man! It is damn near impossible to find an honest shortbed anymore! I've probably driven 12hrs past couple days trying to find a truck. Nothing is what is proclaimed to be, and I don't understand how people expect primo dollar for lies covered in halfass work. Bout makes me wanna buy a ford or something LOL jk never. Being young trying to find a c10 is tough. I truly envy you older folks who got to pick them up on the cheap, or got paid to haul them out.

Still on the hunt, feels like dating; "trash,trash,trash" makes me want to stay home haha

Hope all is well during these strange times!
longblue72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 07:40 PM   #2
67C10Step

Re: Wasted time

With the popularity of these trucks many think their shoddy work is up to par and others are outright shady trying to take advantage of those that cannot discern the good from the bad.
My favorite is the statement, “This could be a $50,000 truck.” Yeah, with $45,000 in parts and labor.
I look at each trip as a road trip and enjoy it. I don’t get my hopes up and actually expect to walk away.
2024 Toyota Tundra
67C10Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 07:47 PM   #3
Boog
laying low

And still not worth $50,000 when you go to sell it.
91 Chevy sportside, Tahoe, Yukon & GMC Crewcab All GM..'nuff said.

I stand for the flag and kneel at the cross
Boog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 07:57 PM   #4
longblue72

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67C10Step View Post
With the popularity of these trucks many think their shoddy work is up to par and others are outright shady trying to take advantage of those that cannot discern the good from the bad.
My favorite is the statement, “This could be a $50,000 truck.” Yeah, with $45,000 in parts and labor.
I look at each trip as a road trip and enjoy it. I don’t get my hopes up and actually expect to walk away.

It has definitely made for some good trips. I've gotten to spend some good time with my step dad that needed to happen for a while now. In that sense I'm very grateful. Its also fun to make fun of people who "didn't know it was a longbed" that build cars for a living.
Old 03-30-2020, 08:08 PM   #5
garyd1961

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boog View Post
And still not worth $50,000 when you go to sell it.
If done right more like low to mid 20s.
garyd1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 08:10 PM   #6
CG
BlahBlahBlah

Wasted time is a part of the game. I don't call it wasted time though, its part of the journey to find the treasure you are dreaming of. It will be part of the story of you and your truck.
Old 03-30-2020, 08:20 PM   #7
rockyrivermark

Hang in there. I searched on a somewhat regular basis for 3 years. Not seriously hunting but checking CL every couple weeks.
Finally found a decent honest truck work restoring in 2017
Yours will come along.
Be safe
RRM
http://www.cbcabinets.com
rockyrivermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 09:51 PM   #8
special-K
Special Order

Hey Chuck, I guess that '67 Stepside in TN didn't work out, ey? It's gotten harder to find an honest shortbed truck. You might have a frame shortening in your future

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 10:01 PM   #9
longblue72

The 67 was the better out of the ones i checked out, but wasnt what i wanted to start a build with
Old 03-30-2020, 10:04 PM   #10
longblue72

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
Hey Chuck, I guess that '67 Stepside in TN didn't work out, ey? It's gotten harder to find an honest shortbed truck. You might have a frame shortening in your future

I guess ill have to end up cutting one up. Makes more sense to buy a true longbed than a overpriced turd of a shortbed. Especially if i plan to keep this one forever. Cant bank on selling a long-shortbed in the future
Old 03-30-2020, 10:21 PM   #11
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

On the other side of the continent from you is a white (I'm going to guess) '65 GMC short bed fender side, but it doesn't appear to be for sale. I'd be in his business big time if it was a long bed. Right around the corner from me.

'70 Chevy 3/4T Longhorn CST 402/400/3.56 Custom Camper

Simi Valley, CA
Steeveedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 11:10 PM   #12
special-K
Special Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by longblue72 View Post
I guess ill have to end up cutting one up. Makes more sense to buy a true longbed than a overpriced turd of a shortbed. Especially if i plan to keep this one forever. Cant bank on selling a long-shortbed in the future
Cut down longbeds to short don't seem to have any problems selling. As far as value goes, I wouldn't spend as much on one as the real deal, but as you know they all go for plenty money

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
Old 03-31-2020, 12:15 AM   #13
70cst

Quote:
Man! It is damn near impossible to find an honest shortbed anymore! I've probably driven 12hrs past couple days trying to find a truck. Nothing is what is proclaimed to be, and I don't understand how people expect primo dollar for lies covered in halfass work. Bout makes me wanna buy a ford or something LOL jk never. Being young trying to find a c10 is tough. I truly envy you older folks who got to pick them up on the cheap, or got paid to haul them out.

Still on the hunt, feels like dating; "trash,trash,trash" makes me want to stay home haha

Hope all is well during these strange times!
Its all about the hunt.

Just be in position to pull the trigger when you find the right truck

67-72 Chevy and GMC Trucks...The Classic Truck for the Classic Folk.

1970 CST Two tone green, 402BB, 400 Automatic, Tach, Buckets, AC, AM-FM, Tilt, GM CB, GM 8 Tract, LWB, etc

JOHN 17:3...The better side of "LIFE"

Remember: Everyday is a good day...Some are just gooder!
70cst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 06:19 AM   #14
special-K
Special Order

Quote:
I drove a couple hours to go look at a truck that was "95% restored". Within 5 minutes I was back on the road, but not before saying "That's a mighty big 5%"
Quote:
Originally Posted by CG View Post
Wasted time is a part of the game. I don't call it wasted time though, its part of the journey to find the treasure you are dreaming of. It will be part of the story of you and your truck.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70cst View Post
Its all about the hunt.

Just be in position to pull the trigger when you find the right truck
Longblue72's user name comes from his first truck that he found and restored when he was in HS. The wasted time part comes from misleading, lying, dishonest sellers. They waste our time. I'm a believer in "No experience is bad as long as you learned something" and "All you do gains you experience". So, I guess in that light he didn't waste his time

Tim

Old 03-31-2020, 12:49 PM   #15
MidLifer

This is a long way for you but if it’s a real swb may be worth shipping.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...5&postcount=43

Hard to find good trucks on the east coast. Most of them rusted to powder a few decades ago thanks to salt and humidity.
MidLifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 02:08 PM   #16
longblue72

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
I drove a couple hours to go look at a truck that was "95% restored". Within 5 minutes I was back on the road, but not before saying "That's a mighty big 5%"

Longblue72's user name comes from his first truck that he found and restored when he was in HS. The wasted time part comes from misleading, lying, dishonest sellers. They waste our time. I'm a believer in "No experience is bad as long as you learned something" and "All you do gains you experience". So, I guess in that light he didn't waste his time

As Tim said. I love the hobby, I love building and fabricating, the community and the hunt- all of it is great, Better than wasting money at the bar like everyone in their mid 20's does. Just don't like wasting my time with lying hacks.
Old 03-31-2020, 02:10 PM   #17
longblue72

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidLifer View Post

Hard to find good trucks on the east coast. Most of them rusted to powder a few decades ago thanks to salt and humidity.
Nice find, thanks! Got ahold of the seller. Someone looking at it today. Probably sold but we'll see.
Old 03-31-2020, 02:11 PM   #18
Markuli

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidLifer View Post

Aint that the truth. Overpriced rust buckets or bondo specials are all that remain here for under 8 grand.

I bought my truck sight- unseen from MN and paid a buddy to ship it here. Before I started messing with it, I'm sure I could have made money on it if I put it up for sale.
Markuli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 04:30 PM   #19
Dukk

Lightbulb Re: Wasted time

Quote:
“This could be a $50,000 truck.” Yeah, with $45,000 in parts and labor.
More like $80,000

But that's only a problem for those trying to build and flip. Build it how you want and keep it forever - then the $$ doesn't matter.
Dukk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 04:40 PM   #20
YBNORML

I learned a long time ago to bite the bulletin and chase down the “wild goose chases”. I’ve always looked at them as a pleasant side effect of the hobby.

These two were the subjects of my last two chases, well worth the 7 hr one way drive for each of them.
Attached Images

68’ GMC shortbox
https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=794201

72' 2WD Blazer
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=425385

67' LongBox C-10
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=691845

InstaGram ybnorml67
YBNORML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 04:55 PM   #21
bhemingson

Quote:
Except it usually takes $75k in parts and labor to make a $50k truck. I always ask for a photo of the SPID and some good ones of the usual rust spots before I even get in the car.
bhemingson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 06:32 PM   #22
HO455
Post Whore

Just out of curiosity how are you defining your acceptable short bed?
And for what it's worth you wouldn't find a good deal on a short bed ford any easier. Same scammers & flippers looking to maximize their return.
If it breaks I didn't want it in the first place
The WMB repair thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=698377
HO455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 06:49 PM   #23
longblue72

Quote:
Originally Posted by HO455 View Post
Just out of curiosity how are you defining your acceptable short bed?
And for what it's worth you wouldn't find a good deal on a short bed ford any easier. Same scammers & flippers looking to maximize their return.
I'll try to get my formula out of my head. Essentially, Id like to be in the ball park of an 8-10k max 12k truck. in this range, I figure that it has to have enough parts thrown at it that it runs and drives. Im totally fine with rocker and floor rot but any worse and the price is on the shallower end for me. If rockers and stuff are done, and done well enough to pass- then ill accept it. but just cause some ol boy has a mig welder and a bucket of bondo, doesn't convince me. Ive been coming across a bunch of trucks that, just cause they have 12k in it, doesn't make them WORTH 12k lol.

Being I used to work at a hot rod shop in highschool and shortly after, and my dad being a custom painter, Ive seen to much to settle for to bad of junk

I believe 12k should buy a damn honest shortbed on the better side of a project/driver
Old 03-31-2020, 08:36 PM   #24
Richard2112

Quote:
And when you find "the one", it'll feel like marriage
Richard2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 09:51 AM   #25
longblue72

Figured I would update this thread. I found a shorty! It was down in Georgia and I was hesitant to go get it cause it had a wicked hillbilly hotrod primer black paint job and some wheels to fit the Atlanta area (they honestly look ok in person), but the truck is solid! There is only 4" of rust in the driver side rocker, that's it. Cab is solid top to bottom, bed is straight as an arrow, hell core support isn't even rotten.

TName:  c10 behind tahoe.jpg
Views: 233
Size:  64.4 KBhere is some negative. It has a mildly built 350- Brodix heads, 1.6 ratio roller rockers, 580 lift Howards cam, and flattop pistons. Addition to all that sweet stuff, there is a knock somewhere. Ill be posting another thread about that issue with my questions on what direction to go with it, but just wanted to have some closure on this one.
Attached Images