The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-04-2020, 01:47 PM   #1
72 Copper C-10

Repop vs OEM inner fenders

Has anyone had any experience using repop inner fenders with factory fenders? Is it worth finding good factory ones? I’m having a hard time trusting repop stuff with my recent battle of rockers and cab corners.
Thanks
John
72 Copper C-10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 06:32 PM   #2
72c20customcamper

Re: Repop vs OEM inner fenders

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72 Copper C-10 View Post
Has anyone had any experience using repop inner fenders with factory fenders? Is it worth finding good factory ones? I’m having a hard time trusting repop stuff with my recent battle of rockers and cab corners.
Thanks
John
For what it's worth I drove an hour and a half to get OEM inners off a an Arizona truck. Guy put an air ride in a 71 burban and couldn't use them . Got ones that I know fit and made a friend . Meet up at few shows every year
1969 AMX ,
1968 c20 stepside ,85 K20
1977 Suburban sold
68 anniversary.
72c20customcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 09:13 PM   #3
dayj1

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72 Copper C-10 View Post
Thanks
John
I picked up repro inners for my '68 from Southern Kentucky Classics and they fit the factory fenders just fine. I'm sorry, but I can't remember who the actual manufacturer was. I wouldn't hesitate to use them again.
dayj1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 10:37 PM   #4
Pro299

I got repops from APW when they were on sale. Not perfect but close enough. I think i ended up leaving out a couple of fasteners on each one because the holes wouldn't line up. Could have drilled them out, but just never got around to doing it. They're certainly better than the rusty originals i took out. Especially the passenger side under the battery.
Pro299 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 12:42 AM   #5
FirstOwner69

I used Tri Plus repops. They actually weighed about a pound more than my almost rust free originals and fit fine after slightly enlarging a couple of the holes where they bolt onto the fenders.
Old 04-05-2020, 01:02 AM   #6
toolboxchev

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstOwner69 View Post
I used Tri Plus repops. They actually weighed about a pound more than my almost rust free originals and fit fine after slightly enlarging a couple of the holes where they bolt onto the fenders.
I have heard good things about Tri Plus, many have said they are the only one worth dealing with.
toolboxchev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 07:17 AM   #7
special-K
Special Order

I know the Tri-Plus are good pieces. I am big on using OEM, but I can certainly appreciate that there are reproduction parts available. Even the crappy ones, beats a blank. I don't know about others, but the Tri-Plus are as good as OEM. So good that I can't see spending the money for N.O.S. and actually using them.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 07:42 AM   #8
Grumpy old man

I just ordered AMD bed inner fenders for my 67 short bed from Summit and they fit pretty good arrived in 2 days with free shipping , For those who don't know you can buy AMD parts thru Summit and get free / fast shipping .

1967 Factory short bed - Old school
'71 - 350 / 4bolt / 487 heads / Edelbrock C3BX
Muncie M-22 4 speed / Hurst Comp plus
Factory 12 bolt posi 3.73 / 255-70-15
Smoothed firewall / Factory cowl induction
Power disc brakes / power steering / 3.5-5" drop
Grumpy old man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 07:58 AM   #9
rsavage

The right side originals are like hen's teeth now. Even in dry states like Arizona, they are rare pieces due to common battery acid damage. Steve Almeter of "Steve's Parts" lives in Arizona and he told me a couple years ago that he could not find any original right side inners any more. I used one original (left) and one repop (right) on my Blazer build.
2021 Durango RT 5.7
rsavage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 08:27 AM   #10
Andy4639
Old member

I used the right K-mark inner fender on the 68 and it was a great fit. No problems at all lining it up although it does take some work. The fender will move on you so you have to work with it to line everything up good.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 10:09 AM   #11
Davidf

My right side is gone under the battery. I plan to purchase a repop from Rock Auto ($40) and cut off what I need and weld to the good part of my original inner fender.
Davidf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 12:32 PM   #12
StingRay

And I have an NOS right in storage I've had about 30 years. Was cheap back in the day. Wonder what it's worth today. I will be using it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsavage View Post
The right side originals are like hen's teeth now. Even in dry states like Arizona, they are rare pieces due to common battery acid damage. Steve Almeter of "Steve's Parts" lives in Arizona and he told me a couple years ago that he could not find any original right side inners any more. I used one original (left) and one repop (right) on my Blazer build.
Old 04-05-2020, 03:00 PM   #13
72 Copper C-10

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72c20customcamper View Post
For what it's worth I drove an hour and a half to get OEM inners off a an Arizona truck. Guy put an air ride in a 71 burban and couldn't use them . Got ones that I know fit and made a friend . Meet up at few shows every year
Thanks for the input, I’ve been having a similar thought. I’ve got a lead on a set in Arizona, from what I’m told is they are pretty clean. I’m hoping to get some pictures before I take the 8 hour trip one way.
Old 04-05-2020, 03:04 PM   #14
72 Copper C-10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidf View Post
My right side is gone under the battery. I plan to purchase a repop from Rock Auto ($40) and cut off what I need and weld to the good part of my original inner fender.
I didn’t think to check Rock Auto for these, thanks for the idea!
Old 04-05-2020, 03:07 PM   #15
72Cheyenne454

Front inner fenders are shipped via truck freight from Summit Racing, so no free shipping. I just loaded both left/right AMD inner front fenders in my Summit shopping cart and the estimated shipping cost is $99 for both. Bummer, but still cheaper than buying directly from AMD.

I'm close to Brothers Trucks so I could pick up in person. I see they offer front inner fenders for $89.99. Anyone have experience with their inner fenders or know what supplier they use?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy old man View Post
I just ordered AMD bed inner fenders for my 67 short bed from Summit and they fit pretty good arrived in 2 days with free shipping , For those who don't know you can buy AMD parts thru Summit and get free / fast shipping .
72Cheyenne454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 03:14 PM   #16
72 Copper C-10

Quote:
Originally Posted by dayj1 View Post
I picked up repro inners for my '68 from Southern Kentucky Classics and they fit the factory fenders just fine. I'm sorry, but I can't remember who the actual manufacturer was. I wouldn't hesitate to use them again.
Good to hear, thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pro299 View Post
I got repops from APW when they were on sale. Not perfect but close enough. I think i ended up leaving out a couple of fasteners on each one because the holes wouldn't line up. Could have drilled them out, but just never got around to doing it. They're certainly better than the rusty originals i took out. Especially the passenger side under the battery.
That’s better than some of the other horror stories from some repop stuff, thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstOwner69 View Post
Interesting, I would have guess they would be lighter. Sounds like a good option. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by toolboxchev View Post
I have heard good things about Tri Plus, many have said they are the only one worth dealing with.
Thanks for the information!

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
I know the Tri-Plus are good pieces. I am big on using OEM, but I can certainly appreciate that there are reproduction parts available. Even the crappy ones, beats a blank. I don't know about others, but the Tri-Plus are as good as OEM. So good that I can't see spending the money for N.O.S. and actually using them.
Thanks Tim! Looks like I need to check into Tri-Plus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy old man View Post
I forget to look at summit for some of these things! Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy4639 View Post
I used the right K-mark inner fender on the 68 and it was a great fit. No problems at all lining it up although it does take some work. The fender will move on you so you have to work with it to line everything up good.
That’s good to hear! Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsavage View Post
That’s my concern with spending a bunch of time and money looking for a needle in a hay stack. A decent repop could be the most sensible option. Thanks!
Old 04-05-2020, 07:44 PM   #17
87max

Got a pile of AMD from jegs (free shipping also) years ago. Was very pleased with quality.
87max is offline   Reply With Quote