The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-09-2003, 10:19 PM   #1
Russell
Professional Grade

Russell's nonsense :) (used to be my horn topic)

Is this clear thing with the transformer and three prongs my horn relay, and would it cuase my horn to stay on indefinitly if it was burnt out?

Last edited by Russell; 12-10-2003 at 10:11 PM.
Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2003, 10:19 PM   #2
Russell
Professional Grade

Also, how hard is it to replace the backup light switch on my transmission / where is it?
Old 12-09-2003, 10:25 PM   #3
Russell
Professional Grade

Hmm, took this little solenoid apart and figured out how it is suppost to work... I guess it got really warm and this little piece of metal warped cauing the solenoid to have constant power going through it... I reset the little metal peice together, and I'm off to see if it works
Old 12-09-2003, 10:54 PM   #4
Russell
Professional Grade

Well, that did it alright Finally figured out how my horn is suppost to be installed in the column too She's got a real good voice (loud enough to make me jump when I tested it each time :P)

I took all my stereo equipment out, and I'm down to three bare, unidentified wires, a dome light and underdash light that don't wanna work, as well as my reverse lights being no good...

Since I didn't have to take my column apart to fix my horn issues, and I should be able to fix the rest of my electrical issues tonight, I'll have plenty of time to replace that loose rocker bolt and tune up my carb tommorow... I work the next day, so I need the truck on Thursday, Friday, Saturday, Sunday and Monday, so I'll take my dash bezel out and apart to fix my speedo cable issue (just needs some lubing) paint my bezel with that chrome stuff, and fix all the loose light connections in the bezel, then all thats left to do in the interior electrically speaking is replace my power lock switches, power window switches and power window motors

Last edited by Russell; 12-09-2003 at 10:57 PM.
Old 12-09-2003, 11:18 PM   #5
Russell
Professional Grade

Ahh.... Nothing like talking to yourself in a topic No one else around here at home wants to hear about it :P
Old 12-09-2003, 11:59 PM   #6
mike reeh
5 day ban, learn to behave.

on your automatic, the reverse light switch at the bottom of the steering column.. if you wiggle the shifter when you're in reverse, they might come on.. turn the IGN on but dont start the engine, then play with it.. sometimes it almost has to be in park or all the way to neutral for them to come on.. The switch is probably fine, just needs to be adjusted and/or column linkage tightened.

mike
mike reeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2003, 12:50 AM   #7
CT-Truckster
?

Glad we could be of service, don't what you would have done without us.
CT-Truckster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2003, 02:25 AM   #8
Russell
Professional Grade

lol, if only I had run in to read Mike's post...

Took me like four hours to finally trace the wiring back to that little switch :P I ended up taking the whole steering column out, twice (stupid little rubber gasket and its getting stuck between the firewall and the column....) and putting it back in till it works Next up, instrumentation, dome light, underdash light and bumper light. Hopefully sometime in the near future I'll come across a good double window switch, and two power lock switches for my 80 for cheap, then after I do a power window motor swap I'll finally be done all my electrical, minus the stereo

Then I gotta replace that little rocker bolt (five minute job) Reset the valve lash, then tune that little Carter Q-Jet up, and I'll be good to go, at least till I bite the bullet and buy some patch panels to fix the rust...
Old 12-10-2003, 02:52 PM   #9
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

i thought you was getting rid of the truck???

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2003, 04:44 PM   #10
Russell
Professional Grade

I changed my mind lol I just like this truck too much... If it means parking it for a couple of weeks while I do some body work, no problem with me, just so long as I am allowed to drive the 92
Old 12-10-2003, 05:45 PM   #11
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

ok russell we will just assume ya had a high fever and were slightly delusional when ya said you wasnt gonna keep your 80 and were goin with the 92 only. lol even tho i have my newer trucks and my fords ( i know people i know) i still have my soft spot for my 73-87 chevys which is why i have both of em in my fleet

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2003, 10:09 PM   #12
Russell
Professional Grade

Talking Russell's nonsense (used to be horn topic)

lol, We'll just assume that... The only thing that is ever gonna pry this truck from my grips is if it gets totalled beyond even my optimism

Did some more work tonight, got my dome light going, I'm down to working on the instrumentation, and the under dash light.... If I have time, I'll retime the engine, that timing adjustment I did last night got me a bit more power, but totally destroyed my gas milage... I'm getting like 3 - 5 mpg instead of 8 now...
Old 12-11-2003, 12:45 AM   #13
Russell
Professional Grade

Wheee, went through and reset my valve lash, set the timing, shes running so much better now, still not perfect though, it seems to have a slight issue with starting from a dead stop into full acceleration, probally needs slightly retarded or advanced timing... Also, when I am travelling at about 70 - 75 mph or so, I cannot hear the engine over the wind noise at all, but I can hear a loud sucking noise like someone sucking through a straw, is that a vaccum leak, or just my truck sucking in the air really hard?

Also, I think my exhaust is ticking a bit, esspecially when travelling around 30 mph or so, I tried tightening the bolts a bit, but no avail... The noise is the same loudness on both sides of the truck, and isn't the rockers or lifters for sure.

All thats left to do is fix that under dash light, paint my instrument backs with chrome paint, tighten a front bumper bolt, change out my tank switch and she is totally in perfect running order... I feel that I totally increased my milage tonight too, I ran her hard for a good half hour and hardly used any fuel compared to what I would have expected

Oh yeah, also have body work to do and a stereo to install Does anyone make 6 x 9 brackets for my cab corners?

Last edited by Russell; 12-11-2003 at 12:47 AM.