The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-14-2020, 12:27 PM   #1
Hair

Fuel line question

I have a 71 GMC that came with an I6, putting a 1988 carbureted 454 in it. I am in the process of hooking up the fuel lines to the pump. The pump has two lines out the bottom and a connection out the side which goes to the carb.

My tank has two lines coming out the bottom thru the cab floor:
- One runs up the frame to the pump, I'm sure that's my fuel delivery line.
- But the other line is a rubber hose about 12" long and it is just hanging back there under the cab. Looks like its been hanging there like that for years.

Question: Do I need to run that other line up to the pump and hook it to one of those tubes out the bottom of the pump?? Or do I put a nipple on one of the pump lines to plug it off, and just leave that old hose hanging back there, maybe its a vent or something??

Also, concerning the two tubes out the bottom of the pump, does it matter which one I hook the fuel line to??
Hair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2020, 12:34 PM   #2
wake328

Re: Fuel line question

one of the nipples on your pump should be noticeably larger, thats your fuel inlet. The smaller one is a return line. The line hanging there could be for the fuel return.

I am sure someone can correct me... but i'm not sure on the 71 if they had the 3rd line as well for the charcoal canister?
wake328 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2020, 01:22 PM   #3
Hair

There's no third line that I can see any where.
Old 05-18-2020, 03:04 PM   #4
Hair

Ok, I ran the fuel line to the big nipple on the fuel pump and left the small "return" nipple alone unplugged with no hose. I finally fired the engine for the first time today. Squirted some fuel down the carb and it fired up and ran a few seconds, did this several times. Fuel started pouring out the fuel pump nipple that I did not run a hose to, the line going to the carb is as dry as a bone. Any idea what I have wrong?? I can run the return back to the tank, but is that going to make it pump fuel to the carb??? I thought he vent line really didn't matter. Help please.
Old 05-18-2020, 06:42 PM   #5
Hair

I put a nipple cap on the open nipple, started it and it sent fuel up to the carb and it runs great now. SO now my question is, should I run that line back to the tank or just leave it plugged?