The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-25-2020, 12:51 PM   #1
cgster

Fuel Pump issues

Had some body work done on my truck so its been out of commission for about 5 or 6 months. Was running/cranking fine. Now not getting gas to carb, checked a few things and finally decided to replace mechanical fuel pump. Still not getting gas to carb, any ideas? I have line disconnected now from carb and filter and its still now pumping fuel.
cgster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020, 01:10 PM   #2
toolboxchev

Re: Fuel Pump issues

First what year is your truck? 72's 71's and even earlier had the Vap Canister system first part of the Emissions Control.

Then you will have to start at the tank and check first your pickup, cleanliness of tank, and work from there to the pump. Lines can clog, rust out. Make sure your able to get flow.

Maybe use an air gun to blow through the lines.
toolboxchev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020, 01:14 PM   #3
RustyPile

Be sure there is sufficient gas in the tank. Check the fuel line between tank and fuel pump. Check for kinks and disconnects.. Replace any missing or suspect rubber lines.. Be sure all connections are tight and leak proof.. Replace all fuel filters..
RustyPile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020, 01:34 PM   #4
cgster

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgster View Post
Had some body work done on my truck so its been out of commission for about 5 or 6 months. Was running/cranking fine. Now not getting gas to carb, checked a few things and finally decided to replace mechanical fuel pump. Still not getting gas to carb, any ideas? I have line disconnected now from carb and filter and its still now pumping fuel.
Its a 72 C10. I hooked a 5 gallon gas tank straight to the pump, it started pumping at a good flow into a plastic container. I then hooked everything else back up and the fuel filter filled up about 1/4 but that was it (maybe that was just gas that was left over in fuel pump?). Is the fuel filter suppose to fill up more than that? Carb still doesn't seem to be getting gas.
cgster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020, 03:07 PM   #5
RustyPile

Quote:
Its a 72 C10. I hooked a 5 gallon gas tank straight to the pump, it started pumping at a good flow into a plastic container. I then hooked everything else back up and the fuel filter filled up about 1/4 but that was it (maybe that was just gas that was left over in fuel pump?). Is the fuel filter suppose to fill up more than that? Carb still doesn't seem to be getting gas.
Depending on the type and location of the fuel filter, air can become trapped inside it, but does not necessarily indicate a problem.. Fuel filtration and delivery is the goal.. If the fuel pump will draw gas from the gas can but not from the tank, the problem is somewhere between the gas in the tank (including the pick up located in the tank) and the fuel pump.. Quit guessing.. Follow the advice and instructions offered in the above posts..
RustyPile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020, 06:03 PM   #6
HO455
Post Whore

Quote:
It is not uncommon for the filter to not be completely full as air that is trapped in the fuel will collect in the filter.
It is possible that the needle has become fused to the seat of the float valve inside the bowl of the carburetor. If you have fuel pressure at the carburetor fuel inlet it is likely that is your problem. Although some carburetors have a filter in the fuel inlet they usually fail slowly over time with reduced engine performance being the symptom.
If it breaks I didn't want it in the first place
The WMB repair thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=698377
HO455 is offline   Reply With Quote