The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-25-2020, 04:21 PM   #1
thirstybob

I couldn't pass a Sentra

OK, I'm a little surprised at how slow my '74 C20, 454/TH400 is. I really thought it ran good but I got spanked by a punk in a Nissan Sentra.
I shifted manually and barked the tires during up shift but I couldn't pass him.

I really need more. Does anyone know if 215 heads can me made to flow without breaking the bank. I like the idea of increased compression but I know the valves are small.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
thirstybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020, 05:10 PM   #2
Ziegelsteinfaust

Re: I couldn't pass a Sentra

Your heads are not the biggest issue slowing you down, and while not the best even peanut port heads can lay down some serious numbers.

I would start with a cam shaft that feed the engine up to 5500rp., and a high rise dual plane. If you have a q-jet, and must have it. Use a 1" or taller open spacer to help with the manifold to promote cylinder filling. Also since a clyinder in theory can now see both sides of a carb. It reduces cfm size need for hp, and can help with mpg. Since the carb can be smaller, and flow more idealistic. Then add a air cleaner that does not have a drop base.

My friend built a pretty serious 454 with peanut port heads with the expectation upgraded heads would be bought soon. His 350 was dying, and he already had the 454. Along with a stash of parts to rebuild it. It was such a all around motor when we were still friends. He never got the upgraded ones he wanted. My guess it was a solid 400hp, and 500 lbft of torque. In his 66 C10 with 2.73 gears, and a posi. It could run 13.00-13.2 in the quarter.

https://www.hotrod.com/articles/ccrp...-engine-build/

Last edited by Ziegelsteinfaust; 04-25-2020 at 05:17 PM.
Ziegelsteinfaust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020, 06:49 PM   #3
TrailerTrash

Is your engine all stock? Let's hear the details

'77 C10 350/350 2/4 drop and a mild street engine
TrailerTrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020, 07:55 PM   #4
thirstybob

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrailerTrash View Post
Is your engine all stock? Let's hear the details
I have an Edelbrock 1407, Edelbrock Performer 2-0 and tru duals. I recently discovered that it has 215 heads from a 68-69 427 which I suspect is part of my problem. Other than that, stock and original.

I'm sure a more aggressive cam won't hurt but, I wonder if the heads can be re-worked or should I start looking for different heads?
Old 04-25-2020, 09:06 PM   #5
Dead Parrot

Rear gear ratio and tire size?

Possible that he has made some stealth upgrades to that car so he can do exactly what he did and laugh about it to his buddies.

I would start with a basic tune up and verifying that your timing is correct and timing advances are working correctly.
Dead Parrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020, 09:29 PM   #6
Getter-Done

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirstybob View Post
OK, I'm a little surprised at how slow my '74 C20, 454/TH400 is. I really thought it ran good but I got spanked by a punk in a Nissan Sentra.
I shifted manually and barked the tires during up shift but I couldn't pass him.

I really need more. Does anyone know if 215 heads can me made to flow without breaking the bank. I like the idea of increased compression but I know the valves are small.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
My first question would be.

Do you know the Punk in the Sentra and if it stock?

He may have had what we called (A Sleeper) back in the day.

Name:  sentra.jpg
Views: 357
Size:  20.8 KB

63 Impala (my high school car)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...Crew Cab Build
Getter-Done is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 09:13 AM   #7
blazer2007

I got beat off the line by a Malibu taxi,I know your pain
blazer2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 09:21 AM   #8
thirstybob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead Parrot View Post
Rear gear ratio and tire size?

Possible that he has made some stealth upgrades to that car so he can do exactly what he did and laugh about it to his buddies.

I would start with a basic tune up and verifying that your timing is correct and timing advances are working correctly.
I agree DP, he could have had a sleeper. My timing and tune are dialed in as far as I know.
Do you think my 427 heads are holding me back?
Old 04-26-2020, 09:48 AM   #9
thirstybob

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazer2007 View Post
I got beat off the line by a Malibu taxi,I know your pain
Ouch
Old 04-26-2020, 12:34 PM   #10
Corts60
Just here to tinker

Go ahead and find that kid again and have him hook a trailer up and you do the same. Then we'll see who wins.
Corts60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 02:43 PM   #11
44th Miss Inf

The 215 heads are closed chamber (app 100cc) are helping you, as the motor probably had 781s on it (117-119 cc from the ones I have cc’d) The most of these engines stock work out to 7.7-7.8:1 compression originally.

I class raced one of these engines (a later one with 236 casting heads aka peanut ports, and the factory flat intake and the heads and intake will support 546hp.

Before I swapped a thing on the engine, go thru the usual, fuel, timing, etc.

Timing chain good? I believe this was about the time GM used the plastic gears on the chains

Factory cam in these engines was lame

Parts store fuel pumps seem to barely provide enough fuel for a stock non performance engine.

How’s the trans? Rear gearing? Lots of variables
44th Miss Inf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 02:59 PM   #12
thirstybob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corts60 View Post
Go ahead and find that kid again and have him hook a trailer up and you do the same. Then we'll see who wins.
Tru-Dat!
Old 04-26-2020, 03:03 PM   #13
thirstybob

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44th Miss Inf View Post
The 215 heads are closed chamber (app 100cc) are helping you, as the motor probably had 781s on it (117-119 cc from the ones I have cc’d) The most of these engines stock work out to 7.7-7.8:1 compression originally.

I class raced one of these engines (a later one with 236 casting heads aka peanut ports, and the factory flat intake and the heads and intake will support 546hp.

Before I swapped a thing on the engine, go thru the usual, fuel, timing, etc.

Timing chain good? I believe this was about the time GM used the plastic gears on the chains

Factory cam in these engines was lame

Parts store fuel pumps seem to barely provide enough fuel for a stock non performance engine.

How’s the trans? Rear gearing? Lots of variables
I'm planning a timing set swap.
Edelbrock mechanical fuelpump
Good TH400 with TransGo kit in it.
Not sure of my rear end gearing.

I've been tweaking and tuning for a few months, I think I have as much dialed in as I can.

Didn't the 215 heads offer higher a compression ratio? I thought I read somewhere that they were close to or above 9:1
Old 04-26-2020, 04:08 PM   #14
Sevens

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirstybob View Post
I'm planning a timing set swap.
Edelbrock mechanical fuelpump
Good TH400 with TransGo kit in it.
Not sure of my rear end gearing.

Rear-end gear ration is an important part (if not the most important part) of this equation. If you have really high gears, your engine has to work harder (read less efficient) to overcome inertia.

You can have all the horsepower and torque in the world and not be able to get it to the ground if you have the wrong gears!

I would recommend figuring that out before worrying about your transmission or anything else really.

Best of luck on your project!

'65 GMC that identifies as a Chevrolet
Sevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 04:08 PM   #15
sweetk30

no one said it yet but your ALL THE WAY up there in denver co . the elevation is not helping you also . and carb to efi at this level is not even a chance unless carb is tuned in real good .

prob 4.10 gear in the rear .

drop me a pm if you need a good timing set . i have a brand new comp cam double row roller set new in the sealed box . part # 2110
85-c10sb summer fun toy .
-----------------------------
HOLLEY SNIPER efi = worst case of p.i.t.a i ever had .

EDELBROCK pro flo 4 = best deal going so far . love my setup works great.
sweetk30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 04:20 PM   #16
Nick_R_23

I'll echo the suggestions of a better cam and optimized gear ratio. A stall converter will help as well.
Nick_R_23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 07:21 PM   #17
Pontiac1976

I think my truck was 5400LBS Duals 2-1/2" 454,350TH 308 1500 trailer 4200 car gobs TQ yes a lot of ricer cars if pretty stock LoL at them. But the face of one of them get a chance to see you pulling car and trailer & do not lose to much ground. make your week.
1977 REG cab Long Bed with a 1984 Front Clip, 82 305 .60 over 9.0.1 flat top pistons, 4bbl, TH350, w/84 SS-intake & cam , w/ 1977 big block rad, 1975 gear box, 1984 master w/ metric fittings top & SAE fitting @ portion block, 1975 3.42 gear open diff. Duel 77-87 Factory air cleaner, duel inlet from rad support . Down sized 9' to new 8' Steel flat bed
Was a 77 454 w/308 gear. Taken out 550 lbs. up front with motor clip change.
Pontiac1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 07:44 PM   #18
WorkinLonghorn

The Nissan Sentra SE-R Spec V (some years) could go 0-60 in ~6.3-6.5 seconds stock with a 200 HP 2.5 Ltr. I-4.

https://www.zeroto60times.com/vehicl...-60-mph-times/
'69 GMC C2500 Custom Camper, 8 1/2' bed, New GM 350, NP 435 Close Ratio 4spd. Trans., 3.73 Dana-60 open.Camper and Trailer wiring, PS, PB, AC, tach , three gas tanks, 2nd owner, Work-Truck supreme. Best $300 I ever spent.
WorkinLonghorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 12:23 PM   #19
Honest Bob

A sentra probably weighs 1500lbs (early 90's sentras were less than 2400lbs!) less than your truck.

You could have been racing a bone stock sentra or a 2400lb turbo 300whp go cart. The Sentra SE-R is a quick car from the factory and easy to modify.
Honest Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 01:10 PM   #20
demian5

I had a 73 C20 suburban with 4:10 and a th400 with a allison style 6-bolt converter (stock stall I beleive) 33" BFGs. The motor was a 461 with early 70s corvette heads, a crower power beast cam, match ported 2.0 intake with long tube headers, stock ratio roller rockers (cause big blocks like to eat valve train) and a Q jet that I changed the rods in (that was originally out of a FedEx van with a small block). It ran well and would pull pretty good and gave a few vehicles a run for their money, but the weight was the killer. Thing weighed a ton or more. But towed like nobody's business and got good mileage on the freeway considering (40 gal tank and 350 carb).

I think one thing people overlook that can make a big difference is over carbing. You run something where its burning all of the fuel, then its going to have the most power.
1983 K2500 Sierra Classic Suburban 6.2
Instagram: C10sofOC
demian5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 04:01 PM   #21
LT7A

You may not be able to find that Sentra again to find out if it was stock, or the performance model, or whatever. But your truck sounds like it's set up to run pretty healthy so I think you could go out and run a baseline. Go check your 0 to 60 time and/or quarter mile time on a deserted road somewhere. Probably can snag an app that would make it pretty accurate with GPS. Once you know your truck's baseline, you'll have a better guess whether that Sentra was modified or the hot model.
LT7A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 04:16 PM   #22
Killer Bee

you're doing it wrong.. put a scoop of sand in the back of each vehicle with a trailer attached for the rematch, results will be overwhelming..

stay focused on what you're driving and what it was designed for.. who cares what some rice powered pos does, it'll be in a scrap yard long before your truck..

now if any one of you get overtaken by a prius, please keep it to yourself
Old 04-30-2020, 08:00 PM   #23
thirstybob

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetk30 View Post
no one said it yet but your ALL THE WAY up there in denver co . the elevation is not helping you also . and carb to efi at this level is not even a chance unless carb is tuned in real good .

prob 4.10 gear in the rear .

drop me a pm if you need a good timing set . i have a brand new comp cam double row roller set new in the sealed box . part # 2110
Thank you
Old 04-30-2020, 08:02 PM   #24
thirstybob

Quote:
Originally Posted by LT7A View Post
You may not be able to find that Sentra again to find out if it was stock, or the performance model, or whatever. But your truck sounds like it's set up to run pretty healthy so I think you could go out and run a baseline. Go check your 0 to 60 time and/or quarter mile time on a deserted road somewhere. Probably can snag an app that would make it pretty accurate with GPS. Once you know your truck's baseline, you'll have a better guess whether that Sentra was modified or the hot model.
I'll have to do that before my header install and maybe again after.
Good call.
Old 04-30-2020, 08:05 PM   #25
thirstybob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer Bee View Post
you're doing it wrong.. put a scoop of sand in the back of each vehicle with a trailer attached for the rematch, results will be overwhelming..

stay focused on what you're driving and what it was designed for.. who cares what some rice powered pos does, it'll be in a scrap yard long before your truck..

now if any one of you get overtaken by a prius, please keep it to yourself
I probably should, it would be cheaper for sure.

lol.....I sure wouldn't have posted if I was beat by a Prius.Too funny.