The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-04-2020, 10:51 PM   #1
70StepsideC10

Brake Hose Rubbing Spindle After Lowering Truck

I recently lowered my 1970 C10 (with 71/72 front end) with 2.5” drop spindles and 2” drop springs in the front. The brake hoses now rub the top of the spindle/upper ball joint area. The pictures were taken with the truck in the air so the suspension is drooping, when the truck is on the ground the hoses sit a bit lower than shown, but either way they are rubbing. And yes I know I overdid it with the grease! I had these brake hoses installed when the truck was at stock height and there were no issues. I believe I have the 73-87 brake calipers, and there is a ridge around where the banjo fitting is so the hoses have to be clocked vertically, which points them right towards the top of the spindle. I did some searching and couldn’t find any answers to this problem, but I’m sure other people have had to deal with it so was looking for some advice and potential solutions. I would prefer to not have to buy new hoses if possible since these ones are almost brand new, but I realize this may be a reality. Is there some sort of fitting I can use that connects the hose to the banjo fitting at an angle to get it past the ridge so I can clock it in a forward direction? Has anyone ground the ridge off the caliper? Any info is greatly appreciated.
Attached Images

70StepsideC10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 10:40 AM   #2
kwmech

Re: Brake Hose Rubbing Spindle After Lowering Truck

Loosen the fitting at the hard line and twist the hose to where you want it and retighten. Should not have to bleed the brakes, it will just drip a little
kwmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 10:10 PM   #3
70StepsideC10

Thanks for the response. Not sure if that will get the hose far enough from the spindle to avoid any rubbing because of how the hose comes up out of the caliper but I could give it a shot.
70StepsideC10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 11:41 PM   #4
Richard

I would suggest a rubber lined one hole clamp affixed to the bottom outer edge of the spring pocket.
Attached Images

Last edited by Richard; 05-05-2020 at 11:47 PM. Reason: Add picture
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote