The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-06-2020, 11:38 AM   #1
tim71

Inner Front Fenders

I'm curious if OEM inner front fenders had a part number stamped on them and in what location on the inner fender if the number is present?
tim71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 12:14 PM   #2
72 tigger

Re: Inner Front Fenders

I’ve never seen any. Maybe someone else has

Been driving your truck Tim?
Kirk
72 tigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 01:13 PM   #3
tim71

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72 tigger View Post
I’ve never seen any. Maybe someone else has

Been driving your truck Tim?
I think my inner fenders are original, but I couldn't find a part number. During my build I had them blasted and powder coated. This process created some pin holes and showed some rust damage to the right inner fender in the area that sits directly under the battery. I went ahead and used them as all of the sheet metal on the truck was original to the truck.
To answer your question, I haven't been driving truck because I've had engine out twice since early January to repair a leaking rear main seal. I'm about to get it buttoned back up and decided to replace inner fenders. Bought a set from Cooper Restorations (up your way) and they are good pieces, heavy gage metal and fit well. Just need to install the seat and hood and I'll be back on the road.
Old 05-06-2020, 01:26 PM   #4
67C10Step

Tim,
I am actually glad to see you post this. I am about to tackle pulling my inner fenders because I will be doing a disc brake swap in the near future (I hope). My right inner fender is toast in the usual location for the usual reason. I was wondering if fixing the original was worth the effort or who made an acceptable replacement.

Yes, core support is bad as well but I'm probably not going to tackle that until some point later. I'd like to get the truck on the road and drive it a bit while I make a formal plan for the beauty aspects.
2024 Toyota Tundra
67C10Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 05:17 PM   #5
tim71

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67C10Step View Post
Tim,
I am actually glad to see you post this. I am about to tackle pulling my inner fenders because I will be doing a disc brake swap in the near future (I hope). My right inner fender is toast in the usual location for the usual reason. I was wondering if fixing the original was worth the effort or who made an acceptable replacement.

Yes, core support is bad as well but I'm probably not going to tackle that until some point later. I'd like to get the truck on the road and drive it a bit while I make a formal plan for the beauty aspects.
I can't do metal work and my body work skills leave a lot to be desired, so I knew I was going to purchase aftermarket replacements. My original left inner fender is in great condition and my right inner could be repaired. I wanted to verify the originality of my inner fenders so I wouldn't misrepresent them if I sell them down the road.
I think if you search the forum using just "inner fender", you will get posts talking about which venders have the best inner fenders for sale. You could call Cooper Restorations in Marion Indiana and find out where he aquires his. I was very satisfied with the ones I purchased from him, they fit well and seem to be a heavier gage of steel than my originals. I also chose Cooper Rest. because I could drive there and pick them up. The shipping charges on inner fenders is more than the fenders them selves.