The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-10-2020, 09:45 AM   #1
Slowguy

what part should i buy next in this multi-year process?

I have the frame pretty much done. I am as far as I can go with the wire routing and fastening until I can get the cab on. The air ride is setup but that too can only be finished once the cab is in place.

I am currently grinding welds for the metal repair guy on the cab. I wanted to save some money on his labor time so he told me to bring the cab back to my shop, grind all the welds smooth, and he'll come grab it and finish up. I decided I'm also going to strip the cab completely down and get it blasted. I hadn't decided if I wanted to keep the original color (so I could keep some of the original interior stuff that is in REALLY good shape), but I can't resist. I'll probably never have the opportunity again to have access to every nook and cranny to get everything completely painted. Just have to decide on color.

I break down purchases over time since all this stuff is so expensive - makes it easier to stomach. So I'm down to a few options of what next to purchase.

I can purchase the body side wiring kit (probably AAW kit) but still won't do too much good without the cab set.

I can purchase the new vintage gauges i've been eyeing for the last year (even though I don't have the cab on I can still hook it up and set it to the side) which will allow me to run and break in the engine. I've only started the engine for 10 seconds thus far. With the gauges I can keep an eye on oil pressure, temp, rpm. This way I can idle it up to 1500-2000 and do the first 20 minute heat cycle and change the oil.

I could purchase the ridetech shocks but I'd need to be sure I have the max travel and ride height setting to order the proper ones (which is a little difficult since I have no body panels on for reference)

Finally, I could purchase my c ten wheels. Nice to look at while the truck sits on rollers, but not much else at this point.

Decisions.
Slowguy is offline   Reply With Quote