The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-16-2020, 08:28 PM   #1
HeavyHauler

Trying to bleed disc brakes & front driver side hose keeps leaking at caliper fitting

I installed all brand new 4 wheel disc brake system on my 1968 Chevy C10. Today I tried to bleed the system but fluid started leaking out of the front driver side caliper hose fitting. I tightened the hose caliper bolt and it still leaked. I changed both copper fittings on it and it still leaked. Not sure what to do in order to stop it from leaking. I then looked at the front passenger caliper and it is also leaking so I think it will have the same issue.

Anybody have any tips on what it might be?
HeavyHauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2020, 08:55 PM   #2
firedemon

Re: Trying to bleed disc brakes & front driver side hose keeps leaking at caliper fit

is it leaking between the line and caliper or the bolt and line side or both ? I have had some flashing on the calipers that wouldn't let the line sit right against the caliper just enough it looked like it was sitting right
firedemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2020, 08:55 PM   #3
68Gold/white

Re: Trying to bleed disc brakes & front driver side hose keeps leaking at caliper fit

Do you have 2 copper washers on the fitting that connects to the caliper? one between the bolt head, and one between the fitting and caliper???. Just making sure. Sounds like you do...

Tighten both those bolts a little tighter. The copper washers are made to crush slightly to make the seal there. You may have them a tad loose. That's all it can be.
Some of those copper washers crush easier than others, sounds goofy...my experience...though...

As post 2 states, make sure fitting on caliper is seating properly...
68Gold/white is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2020, 11:36 PM   #4
HeavyHauler

Quote:
Originally Posted by firedemon View Post
is it leaking between the line and caliper or the bolt and line side or both ? I have had some flashing on the calipers that wouldn't let the line sit right against the caliper just enough it looked like it was sitting right
Not sure so I will check to see if I can narrow it down even more tomorrow.
Old 05-16-2020, 11:42 PM   #5
HeavyHauler

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68Gold/white View Post
Do you have 2 copper washers on the fitting that connects to the caliper? one between the bolt head, and one between the fitting and caliper???. Just making sure. Sounds like you do...

Tighten both those bolts a little tighter. The copper washers are made to crush slightly to make the seal there. You may have them a tad loose. That's all it can be.
Some of those copper washers crush easier than others, sounds goofy...my experience...though...

As post 2 states, make sure fitting on caliper is seating properly...
Yes i have 1 copper washer between the hose banjo fitting and the caliper and another washer between top of hose banjo fitting and the banjo bolt so the banjo fitting is sandwiched with copper washer.

Yeah I thought that might be it, but I tightened the banjo bolt really tight a couple of times when the leak would not go away. So tight that I thought I might snap or strip something by overtightening it .

I will double check for proper seating of the banjo hose fitting tomorrow.
Old 05-17-2020, 01:10 PM   #6
HeavyHauler

The leak is coming from between the caliper surface and the banjo fitting. So I am thinking that copper washer that is sandwiched between there is not sealing it off.
Old 05-17-2020, 01:42 PM   #7
68Gold/white

See if you can find some different copper washers...
68Gold/white is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 03:14 PM   #8
firedemon

an old grey beard back long ago told me to use aluminum paint on copper sealing parts . head gaskets used to be made of copper and they used to use aluminum paint to reuse them and it worked great . I use it on all mine never had a problem unless something was wrong with the caliper or line . also works great on old triumph motorcycle head gaskets
firedemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 04:15 PM   #9
El Dorado Jim

sub'd
El Dorado Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 06:20 PM   #10
demian5

I had to replace a brand new caliper when I did my truck, because of this exact thing when I was doing my conversion.
1983 K2500 Sierra Classic Suburban 6.2
Instagram: C10sofOC
demian5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 12:57 PM   #11
cleszkie

Two suggestions:

1) Try decking the the hose connection surface on the calipers with a fine metal file to even the surface and remove any flash.

2) Make sure your banjo bolts aren't too long. If they are bottoming out before the copper gaskets are fully sealed you will never get a seal. This may sound stupid but I have gotten replacement brake hoses with thinner "banjo fittings" than original. The thinner banjo fittings cause the banjo bolts to bottom out before the copper gaskets get fully seated. I ended up having to stack two copper gaskets between the banjo fittings and calipers to take up the slack and get a seal.
cleszkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 02:29 PM   #12
hotsam

I had this problem on a customers vehicle a while back.. After swapping the caliper and hose for two other new ones , and using every copper and aluminum washer that size in my toolbox I put the box end of the wrench on the banjo bolt head and tightened while I gave some pretty good licks with a hammer. It worked and sealed them up !! I think its the cheap chinese castings and junk copper washers ?? Maybe it will work for you too ?? Im even having to custom grind and fit brake pads these days parts are just trash !!
1955 2 door 210 post
hotsam is offline   Reply With Quote