The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-11-2003, 05:33 AM   #1
TwinTurbo

Heater core shot???

I think my heater core is shot.

I have a loss of coolant, coolant puddles directly below the rear of the inner fender well, the carpet is slightly wet but doesn't smell like antifreeze. I have no anti freeze smell when the heater is on, it doesnt make the windshiel'd all greasy. The air is nice warm and dry.

What do you guys think. I'd like some input before I yank the heater core out. On my vette this is a PITA to do. My truck was originally equipped with A/C but the A/C evaporator box has been replaced by a custom one because A/C was deleted

Marck
TwinTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2003, 11:11 AM   #2
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

id check the hoses and clamps that go to the heater core maybe you have a leak there otherwise youre gonna have to inspect the core itself

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2003, 11:14 AM   #3
TwinTurbo

I checked those and they're dry, the hoses are new and have 2 stainless clamps each. the hoses are also the correct size (different top and bottom)

This sucks
Old 12-11-2003, 11:56 AM   #4
gldevall

Changing the heater core is not too bad on these trucks. But your carpet should smell like anti-freeze if the core is leaking.
-2004 Z-71 Extended cab with a flowmaster, BDS 6.5", 3" BL, 35x12.5x18 Trail Grapplers on Pro-Comp 18x9 wheels
gldevall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2003, 11:59 AM   #5
TwinTurbo

That's just it, it doesn't. It's a little damp but that could be from the humidity outside and the cold weather, just condensing water. I have a brand new carpet installed just a couple of weeks ago so I won't take any chances, don't want to mess up the carpet. Damn this sucks
Old 12-11-2003, 04:14 PM   #6
Grim Reaper

Has it been raining?

As these trucks age the selant where the Cowel box is welded to the fire wall (lift hood and you will see a seam that runs the width of the fire wall) will start leaking where it passes under the underhood blower box that houses the A/C. If it's not coolant then It's probably water got in that box and is draining out.

Take off the Cowel filler pannel Or Hood if it's 80 and older. Pull up the plastic grates at the base of the windsheild and you can get to that seam to clean it and reseal it. I used a think industrial paint last time becuase it would seep into the seam. So far it's working.
Grim Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2003, 04:26 PM   #7
swervin ervin
You get what you pay for

If no antifreeze smell, you don't have a heater core leaking. You have a water leak somewhere. If you have air, remove the kick panel and take the air flap out. Where it goes against the kick panel, it has some white sticky crap, like caulking but much more stronger, holding it and keeping it water tight. Mine leaked there if I drove in the rain or washed the truck. I recaulked it with some of the gutter sealant you can buy. No more leaks. Fix it quick though, it don't take long to ruin the floor pans and insulation.

1985 Chevy C-10
swervin ervin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2003, 09:17 PM   #8
TwinTurbo

Yeah, but there is coolant on the floor (I tasted it it's sweet) and the radiator level drops, very weird.
Old 12-11-2003, 09:23 PM   #9
phantom dually
Project92 SWB stepside

Change the heater core anyway. They are very cheap and you can do it in a hour or so. That will eliminate the core and make you feel better.
92 C1500 stepside 496 Stroker Competiton Engineering Ladder bars/QA1 coilovers. Dana 60 rear with 4.10 gear and posi. Bonspeed Palisade 20x12 in rear w/335/30/20 and 20x8.5 front w/245/40/20. 5/8 drop with Belltech springs/DJM spindles/drop shocks. WWS Progress thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=140448
phantom dually is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2003, 09:29 PM   #10
swervin ervin
You get what you pay for

Sorry, I missed where you said it was antifreeze in the floor. All I seen was it was wet and didn't smell like antifreeze.

Change the heater core. If it's not it, but it probably is, at least you will have a new one in there. It needs one anyway.

1985 Chevy C-10
swervin ervin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2003, 12:01 PM   #11
Grim Reaper

Yep heater core. Saturday afternoon job. If you have air ratchet maybe faster.

http://www.coloradok5.com/heatercore.shtml
Grim Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote