The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-11-2020, 03:23 PM   #1
69Tom

another grille paint color question

So based on the image below, I went and got some "correct" dark argent paint for the grill for my 74. Except now that I've gotten it, I'm not entirely sure how correct it is. It's pretty dark. In the sun it shines pretty good and looks lighter, but I'm not sure if it's right. It seems like any remaining paint on my grille is much liter and more regular argent.

I have done a ton of searches on here, but haven't heard anyone using the dark argent with the "correct" paint code.

Is the inner section of the grille darker than the outer "ring"? Not sure what's going on here.

Thanks.
Attached Images

69Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 10:06 PM   #2
Pontiac1976

Re: another grille paint color question

Hum grill headlamp bezel = trim around the headlight( all so know as headlight doors) the pocket around the head light is dark argent ! as your pic show. They came dark argent, gray, black depending truck option.
and the center upper grill would be argent to light come pared to the grill headlamp bezel = trim around the headlight( all so know as headlight doors) the pocket around the head light is dark argent !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ttPHaURPSaY
1977 REG cab Long Bed with a 1984 Front Clip, 82 305 .60 over 9.0.1 flat top pistons, 4bbl, TH350, w/84 SS-intake & cam , w/ 1977 big block rad, 1975 gear box, 1984 master w/ metric fittings top & SAE fitting @ portion block, 1975 3.42 gear open diff. Duel 77-87 Factory air cleaner, duel inlet from rad support . Down sized 9' to new 8' Steel flat bed
Was a 77 454 w/308 gear. Taken out 550 lbs. up front with motor clip change.

Last edited by Pontiac1976; 06-15-2020 at 10:14 PM.
Pontiac1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 08:08 AM   #3
Big Chip

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69Tom View Post
So based on the image below, I went and got some "correct" dark argent paint for the grill for my 74. Except now that I've gotten it, I'm not entirely sure how correct it is. It's pretty dark. In the sun it shines pretty good and looks lighter, but I'm not sure if it's right. It seems like any remaining paint on my grille is much liter and more regular argent.

I have done a ton of searches on here, but haven't heard anyone using the dark argent with the "correct" paint code.

Is the inner section of the grille darker than the outer "ring"? Not sure what's going on here.

Thanks.
Are those colors just for the Luv or is truck series 1,2,3 the full size trucks?

Edit: I ask because the colors they are specifying for different parts doesn't make sense to me and I've never seen matte black kick panels or blue grey glove box doors.
Big Chip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 12:18 PM   #4
69Tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Chip View Post
Are those colors just for the Luv or is truck series 1,2,3 the full size trucks?

Edit: I ask because the colors they are specifying for different parts doesn't make sense to me and I've never seen matte black kick panels or blue grey glove box doors.
Great question. They're not very clear, are they. I think it's fairly safe to say the grille is NOT dark argent; it's regular argent. Luckily I have some Eastwood Argent in my cabinet of paint which I'll be using when I get to it.
Old 06-16-2020, 04:36 PM   #5
69Tom

So based on this pic of a NOS GMC grille, it is clear the GMC is dark argent on the inside slats.

And based on the NOS photos of the chrome version , I think we can say the regular grille is argent. I wish someone had a high-resolution picture of a NOS grille. Everything I found was older pics.
Attached Images

Old 06-16-2020, 05:53 PM   #6
Wikid61
Post Whore

It's surprising there is not one dead on known color for both the GMC & Chevrolet grills. Resto boys have had years to trial & error an answer. Maybe there is, but are keeping it secret. The outside frame work of these grills (lighter) looks like Rally wheel silver.
Wikid61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 09:13 PM   #7
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

ive always used regular argent and its close

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 12:23 PM   #8
Bandit130

This is the one I used to repaint my 74 C10 grill. Came out good.
Attached Images

Mopar by Birth
Chevy by Choice
Bandit130 is offline   Reply With Quote