The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-15-2020, 12:38 AM   #1
kehstr

Air Helper springs

I have been doing some searching, and cannot seem to find an answer to my question.

I have a coil spring c10 that I use to haul trailers with quite often (hope to use it to tow future project cars home). But my rear drop springs are soft to get a good ride when it is empty. But as soon as I hook a trailer up to it, or put any sort of wait in the bed of the truck it starts to squat pretty bad.

I have 3 options I have come up with to fix the issue, and I need y'alls input.

1 - I use the red airlift bags that go inside the coil springs. But talking to people that have them in their Jeeps say they probably will not hold up to the weight of a car behind the truck.

2 - swap the rear coil springs out for airbags. My dad tells me this is the best option. But personally, I am worried about going this route. I drive the truck quite a bit and feel that replacing the coil springs will change the way the truck rides. Plus, I worry that one day a line will fail, and I will be dead in the water, basically having no spring.

3 - this is the option I am leaning too. They are sleave style airbags that mount behind the axle. They are rated for 1k pounds each. Which would be plenty of lifting power! The worry I have with them is I cannot find a picture of how they mount, so I do not know if they will fit well.
https://www.performanceonline.com/19...-Leaf-Springs/

Thoughts??

Check out my Youtube channel
@Chad's Fab
kehstr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 06:49 AM   #2
Boog
laying low

Re: Air Helper springs

Contact Air Lift. They'll have what you need.
91 Chevy sportside, Tahoe, Yukon & GMC Crewcab All GM..'nuff said.

I stand for the flag and kneel at the cross
Boog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 08:34 AM   #3
saxart

Quote:
Originally Posted by kehstr View Post
But talking to people that have them in their Jeeps say they probably will not hold up to the weight of a car behind the truck.
Whoever is telling you this is wrong. I have a set of the red Airlift bags in a 2011 Suburban and can tell you that they help tremendously when towing heavy loads with a car-hauler style trailer.

These bags will never turn your truck into a 1-ton trailer pulling machine, but for a daily driver that sees occasional towing duty, they're great. The set I have are going on 10-years old and are doing just fine. Ironically, I just ordered another set to put in our 1970 C-10 for the same reasons you mentioned.
Old 06-15-2020, 09:54 AM   #4
kehstr

Quote:
Originally Posted by saxart View Post
Whoever is telling you this is wrong. I have a set of the red Airlift bags in a 2011 Suburban and can tell you that they help tremendously when towing heavy loads with a car-hauler style trailer.

These bags will never turn your truck into a 1-ton trailer pulling machine, but for a daily driver that sees occasional towing duty, they're great. The set I have are going on 10-years old and are doing just fine. Ironically, I just ordered another set to put in our 1970 C-10 for the same reasons you mentioned.
Hmmm. Will you be putting yours in soon? Everyone that I have found that has these in their 67-72 truck has them in it to just level the truck without ever hauling a trailer. I would love to hear what you think before I pull the trigger, as I follow your build and know your truck was built to be used like a truck when needed, which is how I use mine.

Check out my Youtube channel
@Chad's Fab
kehstr is offline   Reply With Quote