The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-18-2020, 06:51 AM   #1
jrthe1

Tired of Slamming My Driver's Door Please Help

Hi every one. In order to close my driver's side door all the way, I must slam it hard. It easily closes to first latch. Does not seem to be sagging. Gaps seem OK. Have lubed.
Where to start? Thanks.
jrthe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 07:23 AM   #2
c60clf

Re: Tired of Slamming My Driver's Door Please Help

Hi jrthe1, I'll try to help , remove striker on pillar and confirm door shuts properly, good alignment, not excessive force to close.Sometimes new rubber will not allow door to close, I used Honda Civic weather strip and was pleased. My 66 would pinch on hinge post and I fabricated a shim to move door out,this may require realignment of fender. Once door closes properly replace striker, I usually snug it then tap with wedge and ballpeen hammer so as to only move in small inqurements. Its possible that you could place striker to deep and second catch not reachable. Also can place masking tape on striker to ensure latch and striker depth properly aligned, if that's the case shim latch. Hope this helps Pat
c60clf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 07:41 AM   #3
The Rocknrod

If your really big on staying stock then door and latch alignment work will most probably be your answer. If your paint is already complete an Altman easy latch may not be preferred.
The Rocknrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 09:29 AM   #4
AcampoDave

Getting the fender and cab corner out of the way helps, but adjusting it by yourself can be a bear and may result in scratches. The first time I did a door I allowed myself all the time needed and kept my cool. There are many points of adjustment and finding the right combination is key. The door adjusts on the hinge, and the hinge adjusts on the pillar. That provides for higher/lower and closer/further and then you have the striker plate. To confound it further you can move the door at an incline or an angle by adjusting the top or bottom to a greater degree than its counterpart. Naturally this is done to square up the gaps but square gaps don't always make a well closing door as people say the gaps were off from day one. Using a piece of paper in the door jamb makes for a good feeler guage to check the weatherstrip area for tight spots. The trailing edge has to latch before the leading edge can bind against the weatherstrip and jamb. Sometimes moving the striker out can accomplish that. Other times you need to move the leading edge further from the jamb at the hinge to door point to allow the trailing edge to come in closer. I strongly recommend a helper, and keeping a cool head. A good floor jack and some wood block can serve as an extra hand on the bottom of the door sometimes too.

Last edited by AcampoDave; 06-18-2020 at 06:24 PM. Reason: Added last sentence
AcampoDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 09:34 AM   #5
AcampoDave

Getting the fender and cab corner out of the way helps, but adjusting it by yourself can be a bear and may result in scratches. The first time I did a door I allowed myself all the time needed and kept my cool. There are many points of adjustment and finding the right combination is key. The door adjusts on the hinge, and the hinge adjusts on the pillar. That provides for higher/lower and closer/further and then you have the striker plate. To confound it further you can move the door at an incline or an angle by adjusting the top or bottom to a greater degree than its counterpart. Naturally this is done to square up the gaps but square gaps don't always make a well closing door as people say the gaps were off from day one. Using a piece of paper in the door jamb makes for a good feeler guage to check the weatherstrip area for tight spots. The trailing edge has to latch before the leading edge can bind against the weatherstrip and jamb. Sometimes moving the striker out can accomplish that. Other times you need to move the leading edge further from the jamb ( at the hinge to door point) to allow the trailing edge to come in closer. I strongly recommend a helper, and keeping a cool head. Also be aware of scratching the leading edge against the fender and cab corner as the door goes shut. Too much forward adjustment causes that to easily occur. A good floor jack and some wood blocks can serve as a third hand sometimes too.

Last edited by AcampoDave; 06-18-2020 at 06:28 PM. Reason: Added last sentence
AcampoDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 12:38 PM   #6
jayoldschool

Is it a fresh resto? Brand new door rubber?
jayoldschool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 02:28 PM   #7
cwcarpenter98

Also, before you start adjusting, make sure your hinges are in good shape. What Dave said is pretty much how I did mine. I really had to mess with the striker plate on the rear pillar to make mine close better.

I thought my passenger side hinges were ok, but since I had the pins, I went ahead and took them apart. Turns out that one of the original hinge pins had broken off inside the hinge, but I couldn't tell until I took it all apart

1963 C10 - Frankentruck 283, Muncie 3 speed with overdrive
Overdrive wiring here
1963-ish truck bed trailer - Half-Wit

1981 C10 - Penny 305, th350 --> Soon to be 350, Saginaw 4 speed

1995 Dodge Dakota Sport

"I'll put it simple: if you're going hard enough left, you'll find yourself turning right." - Doc Hudson
cwcarpenter98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 04:08 PM   #8
roll_the_dice

I have to slam my drivers door as well to close it, but since it isn't a driver yet I haven't worried about it...I installed my new rubber on the drivers door today...then adjusted the striker plate. I don't have to slam as much, but still do some. I think i am going to replace the hinge pins while the fenders are off. I noticed a little sag in the door, not major, but best to swap out the pins now than later, then adjust again.
roll_the_dice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2020, 07:10 AM   #9
jrthe1

Wow! I didn't realize this was going to be this difficult. Thanks all for the advice. Mine is an older restoration and yes the door seal rubber was replaced and it is fairly chunky. The passenger door seal seems more compressed and it closes just fine.

c60clf- I will remove the striker plate and see how the door closes. Is there a particular part # for the Honda Civic weather strip? Also could you please describe the masking tape process in more depth? Thanks.
Old 06-20-2020, 09:27 AM   #10
roll_the_dice

I think the first time you adjust the doors it is like voodoo science...it baffles us and we feel lucky when everything lines up...literally!

I would be interested in more detail about the masking tape process also.
roll_the_dice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2020, 12:19 PM   #11
The Rocknrod

Quote:
Originally Posted by roll_the_dice View Post
I think the first time you adjust the doors it is like voodoo science...it baffles us and we feel lucky when everything lines up...literally! ...
Ya my wife dreads the door's.
The Rocknrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 06:51 AM   #12
c60clf

Hey Jrthe1, The tape placed over the face of striker will determine striker properly shimmed, when door lightly closed it will determine proper latch engagement, this will be after all other steps. You can pm if you like and I can text pictures and assist. My truck at work. Here is link to weather strip. http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...+weather+strip
Old 06-21-2020, 01:40 PM   #13
jrthe1

Thanks 60clf. I found the Honda part number yesterday after doing some research. Also, I removed the striker and the door was not even close to closing. The PO had interior door panels made that were the full length of the door. The bottom 10 inches or so was carpeted in some pretty thick carpeting. Upon inspection I could see that from the middle bottom back to the rear corner and up the door about half way the door panel was not allowing the door to close. I had an option to either modify the door panel or remove the section of weatherstrip that would not allow the door to close. I chose the latter, adjusted the striker, and now I'm satisfied with how the door closes.

Went for a test drive this morning and I couldn't tell removing the small portion of weatherstrip effected anything other than allowing the door to close. Of course my window was down and the exhaust was purring. I never drive the truck in inclement weather and it is winter stored. Doesn't have a heater.

Problem solved. Out of pocket expense=$0. I like that!

Thanks again for telling us about the Honda Civic weatherstrip! https://www.hondacarpartsdirect.com/...SABEgLbr_D_BwE
Old 06-22-2020, 06:50 PM   #14
c60clf

Placing tape allows you to determine if latch is contacting striker plate properly, green truck is my 66, red truck had to be shimmed for proper alignment,hope this helps. PS , I typically warn passengers, DON'T SLAM THE DOOR IT'S NOT NECESSARY Pat
Attached Images

Old 06-22-2020, 09:04 PM   #15
joesscamaro

Just to throw a wrench in there and speak highly of a product I just installed on my truck...the Altman Easy Latches are awesome! I know stock door components can and do work, but the easy latches were so much easier to set my door alignment and gaps with. I wrestled with the stock latches for a good while and couldn’t get them to my likings. I bit the bullet and bought the easy latches and was amazed at the ease of installation and how effortless it is to close my doors. I have a video on my Instagram if anyone is interested...@joesscamaro.
joesscamaro is offline   Reply With Quote