The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-19-2020, 02:47 PM   #1
62bagger

Steering set up question

It has been a while since any work has been done to the 62. Now that the new garage is almost ready to move in I have been looking at the front suspension. I noticed that the idler arm is 6" long and the pitman arm is 5 1/2". The pitman arm side of the drag link is 3" to the bottom of the frame and the idler arm side is 3 1/2". Shouldn't the pitman and idler arm height and drop dimensions be the same to stop bump steer? the steering box came with the truck separately and I was told it is from a 70's square body.
I know! PIA Sideways pictures.
Attached Images

62bagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 08:35 PM   #2
notsolo

Re: Steering set up question

Gets tricky when mixing parts from different years. On my 62 it has 82 front cross member and manual steering box, the pitman arm is strait. It drove better than new no issues. Hopefully some one will chime in with an answer. Will probably need more photo's etc.....Ed.
Attached Images

notsolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 09:23 PM   #3
62bagger

Thanks Ed. I have added a couple more pictures. I should also mention this is a 63 X member on a 62 cassis.
Attached Images

Old 06-20-2020, 01:39 PM   #4
notsolo

Mine with weight on it, 1 1/2" under the frame clearance and looks level like yours. Where did your drag link come from same as the 63 parts?.... On mine, probably was with the 82 front end parts and the idler and pitman arms were OEM.
Attached Images

notsolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2020, 10:03 PM   #5
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

I thought I posted here last night, but I must have got sidetracked.

Ideally, yes the pitman arm and idler arm should be the same length but there is only so much you can do when upgrading to power steering and using different year of parts. There are many trucks on the road with exactly what you have there. I would have to measure one but upgrading to the '73-'87 idler arm may solve the length issue. When I have done a power steering upgrade in years past, I typically used the donor steering linkage. You could likely solve both issues by changing to the '73-'87 steering linkage and idler arm. When drilling holes for the idler arm you could equalize the distance from the frame. In the front view pic, the draglink does look very level.
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 12:00 AM   #6
62bagger

Thanks for the reply's. All of the parts came with the truck as a project. I noticed that the passenger side front wheel would point out a little when I ran the suspension up down. That is what lead me to look closer at the steering links. I will look around for a mid 70's pitman arm and see if I need to adjust the idler arm.
Thanks again for the help.
Mike