The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-13-2003, 12:30 PM   #1
veltex

side window help

Can someone tell me the steps to replace the division bar channel, upper curved window channel, and the inner and outer seal and fuzz, I have the doors kits, just could use a few tips and tricks, window glass and everything else is fine, wind noise is loud and fuzzy parts are bare. thanks in advance
veltex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2003, 03:34 PM   #2
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

The division bar should be first.Remove the window from the frame or take the wing window frame out.The division bar is fairly easy.Remove the rivets and pull the old one out.Put the new one in place and drill new holes.I used a standard rivet gun and spaced the anvil with washers in a very small size.Put the rivets in as flat as possible,then use a piece of flat bar clamped in a vise to pound them as flat as possible.
The curved windlace will press fit and stay fairly well but you may want to use a dab of weatherstrip adhesive to keep it from slipping down when the window is rolled down.The old fuzzy's and seals are held in with clips and can be pulled straight up to remove them. They clip back in the same way.Some trimming will be needed to fit them around the division bar and make them fit well.Lube the window roller wheels and tracks and adjust the window so it rolls smoothly.
Alighnment and lubrication will be the key factors that determine how the window works.Take your time to get the small stuff and the overall job right and it will work much better.
I haven't replaced the wing window rubber weatherstripping on one yet so if you are going to do that maybe someone else will post that procedure.
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2003, 12:11 PM   #3
veltex

Panel, thanks, vent window rubber is fine, do I need to take out the vent window assembly to remove the side glass? If not how does the side glass itself come out? Can the division bar felt be changed in place?
Old 12-14-2003, 02:45 PM   #4
veltex

ttt
Old 12-15-2003, 01:36 AM   #5
veltex

ttt
Old 01-02-2004, 12:13 PM   #6
veltex

panel, I got it! boy the service manual is worth every penny, didnt have to rivet the divider felt, cut down both sides with a utility knife, pulled out rotten stuff, used a little stainless tooth brush to clean out channel, glued in new one from ECE, bingo. also glued first and last few inches of door glass channel to keep from moving like old one did.
Old 01-02-2004, 12:58 PM   #7
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

Glad you got it veltex.I just found your post.I have been in-and-out of the bb since the Holidays.Did it get quiter?
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2004, 02:14 PM   #8
veltex

much quieter, and no rattle when closing door, one wing window was whisteling while wandering, worn?, weathered?, wedging wouldnt work, what way would?, well, ... I put a screw in the back of wing handle, works wonderfully!