The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-16-2020, 07:25 PM   #1
CG
BlahBlahBlah

Visor differences?

Is there a difference in the visors for the pick-ups (not talking Blazers)? Or are 67-72 all the same? I feel like I was told there might be a difference in thickness? Im not sure, enlighten me if you can ... Thanks.
Old 07-16-2020, 11:41 PM   #2
'68OrangeSunshine

Re: Visor differences?

'67-'68 visors were a little thinner. With a couple of 1/16'' thick styrofoam sheets, on each side of a cardboard composite rectangle [~1/8th''?]. The edges had a sort of cloth tape stitched to the perimeter. The OEM ones on my '68 C/10 came apart and I looked. I was going to stitch them back up, but I got some newer blue vinyl visors from a friend who ditched his '72 project and was cleaning up.
'69-'72 visors have something thicker and spongier inside and have vinyl borders stitched on.
I'm also noticing the passenger side visor is too short to meet the clip hook on the upper windshield frame. I thought it used to. Might have gotten bent in use.
I have my visors unhooked a lot because in AZ I use those folding solar reflector screens to keep the interior from getting up to Baking Temperatures.
And Blazer visors are shorter and have a different A-Pillar mount. I wanted to use the blue visors on my blue Jimmy, but they did not fit.

Every 25 years I like to rebuild that 292, whether it needs it or not.
'68OrangeSunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 06:49 AM   #3
special-K
Special Order

The rod inside the visors is two piece. The stub that comes out sometimes moves. This is not a difference, just a response to Orange Sunshine's short passenger side visor comment

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 01:01 PM   #4
'68OrangeSunshine

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
The rod inside the visors is two piece. The stub that comes out sometimes moves. This is not a difference, just a response to Orange Sunshine's short passenger side visor comment
Thanks, Special-K. I'll put some vise-grips on the end and tug it back out.

Old 07-17-2020, 03:33 PM   #5
GMCPaul

Be sure to either just tug ( least effective method ) or rotate clockwise while pulling on it ( most effective method to remove ) but do not rotate counter clockwise at anytime.
You should not rotate counterclockwise or use a twisting back and forth motion while removing as the sun visor has a C shaped tube the rod inserts into that will begin to spread open if rod is rotated counterclockwise which will result in visor being loose on rod as the C shaped tube uses the steels tension on the rod to hold it firmly in place.
Recommended installation if installing when completely removed for bracket and sun visor arm retainer tip end is, Lube the sun visor bracket rod or tip with a light coating of lithium grease then using a clockwise rotation while apply pressure on the rod firmly into the open end of the sun visor and continue rotating clockwise with pressure applied until rod is fully installed.
Paul Jr @ GMCPauls
GMCPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 05:52 PM   #6
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

I do, somehow I doubt today's stuff will hold up like these 50 years later
Attached Images

71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assembly kit for restoring the (a) truck from the ground up. My build thread, and more on the assembly kit https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025
71CHEVYSHORTBED402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 06:03 PM   #7
'68OrangeSunshine

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMCPaul View Post
Be sure to either just tug ( least effective method ) or rotate clockwise while pulling on it ( most effective method to remove ) but do not rotate counter clockwise at anytime.
You should not rotate counterclockwise or use a twisting back and forth motion while removing as the sun visor has a C shaped tube the rod inserts into that will begin to spread open if rod is rotated counterclockwise which will result in visor being loose on rod as the C shaped tube uses the steels tension on the rod to hold it firmly in place.
Recommended installation if installing when completely removed for bracket and sun visor arm retainer tip end is, Lube the sun visor bracket rod or tip with a light coating of lithium grease then using a clockwise rotation while apply pressure on the rod firmly into the open end of the sun visor and continue rotating clockwise with pressure applied until rod is fully installed.
Paul Jr @ GMCPauls
Wow.
So clockwise from the inboard on both the Drivers side and the Passenger side?

Old 07-18-2020, 07:06 AM   #8
GMCPaul

Quote:
Originally Posted by '68OrangeSunshine View Post
Wow.
So clockwise from the inboard on both the Drivers side and the Passenger side?
Good catch and sorry for describing bracket side for tip also as the tip is reverse of bracket side, so Clockwise on bracket side and counterclockwise on tip side.
Paul Jr
Old 07-18-2020, 01:18 PM   #9
'68OrangeSunshine

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMCPaul View Post
Good catch and sorry for describing bracket side for tip also as the tip is reverse of bracket side, so Clockwise on bracket side and counterclockwise on tip side.
Paul Jr
So visors are dedicated Left and Right?

Old 07-18-2020, 01:49 PM   #10
GMCPaul

No sun visors are not left and right. Lets see the best way to explain this might be to make a fist with your left hand insert pencil in center on thumb side of hand and rotate pencil clockwise, now turn your fist over with pencil still in same side of your hand and rotate pencil clockwise. If you look at how your hand is closed on pencil when you rotate it clockwise with fist face up and down the pencil is turning the same direction in your hand because it's always inserted from same side of visor.
Paul Jr
Old 07-18-2020, 02:05 PM   #11
'68OrangeSunshine

I'll have to think about that one.

Old 07-18-2020, 04:47 PM   #12
GMCPaul

Each end of the sun visor is shaped different so the bracket always goes into the same end and sun visor tip always goes into the opposite end, the orientation of the rod running through the sun visor that you insert the bracket into never changes in relationship to the sun visor having that opening for bracket end on left or right side. So when you insert the rod on drivers side you end of with a front and back, the same sun visor installed on passenger side reverses the front and back so what was the front on driver side is the back on passenger side but the orientation of C grasping fingers haven't changed on the rod because bracket is still going into the same end on visor.
Which I had visual references I could post depicting this as I'm sure you would grasp it immediately
Paul Jr @ GMCPauls.
Old 08-29-2020, 09:28 AM   #13
Peanut74

Thanks for the info Special-K. I did not know the sun visor had a two piece rod in them. I thought one of the many PO's of my truck had cut it down for some reason. Guess I will need to measure the diameter of the rod and make the second bit. After that I need to find some distressed saddle sun visors.
Peanut74 is offline   Reply With Quote