The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-23-2020, 11:31 AM   #1
wixthedog

Door art?

What’s up everyone.

Thinking about doing some door art on my pickup, not sold on it 100% yet but still toying around with it. I’ve never done it but that’s never stopped me before. I’d manage to make it look patina’d and old I imagine.

My original idea was my old company logo. Kind of neat and I hold an attachment to it. But, if I ever sold it I’m not too sure I’d like someone driving around with my company logo.

Then I thought of Union 76 that makes sense because it’s a 76 and it kind of looks cool.

Thoughts? Input?

Truck as she sits, and logos for reference.
Attached Images

1979 C20 RCLB - 350 - TH350 Auto
wixthedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 06:33 PM   #2
RotaryRocketeer

Re: Door art?

The original '76ers logo all weathered, either altered slightly or straight up ripped off, could be pretty cool.
Attached Images

RotaryRocketeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 02:02 AM   #3
wixthedog

That's an oldie for sure, I'll add that to the list!
Old 07-24-2020, 08:45 AM   #4
Wgesnerjr

How about this. The fiirst one is from a 76 Bonaza 4x4. In 1976 the Bicentenial was a big deal. Google some logo from then and it fit the year of your truck.
Attached Images

LS 5.3, 4L60E
Father/Daughter Project
Wgesnerjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 11:28 AM   #5
jocko

If you’re not sold on doing this yet... AND you hinted at concern over resale value when you ruled out your first logo... you’ve got a major decision to make. Door art is a personal decision that, in most cases, especially a squarebody - an era when door art was limited to tow trucks and consisted of a telephone number - will likely hurt resale value but will most definitely shrink the potential buyer pool significantly. Again, only an issue if you have resale concerns - and even then, it’s your truck and you should absolutely do what makes you happy with it.
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 01:03 PM   #6
LT7A

I think a logo would be cool from like a shop truck standpoint. Is there anything like that that would fit what you use the truck for? It could be totally made up. Also, if you used matte finish vinyl in non vibrant colors I think it would accomplish the look you want and be removable if you wanted to remove it / change it / sell the truck.
LT7A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 07:12 PM   #7
RotaryRocketeer

The Spirit of 76 stuff would be cool looking, but it's almost like building a clone and calling it the real deal. The bicentennial trucks are rare and it feels like that would be false advertising. You wouldn't put Judge decals on a box stock Lemans....
RotaryRocketeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 02:27 AM   #8
wixthedog

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocko View Post
If you’re not sold on doing this yet... AND you hinted at concern over resale value when you ruled out your first logo... you’ve got a major decision to make. Door art is a personal decision that, in most cases, especially a squarebody - an era when door art was limited to tow trucks and consisted of a telephone number - will likely hurt resale value but will most definitely shrink the potential buyer pool significantly. Again, only an issue if you have resale concerns - and even then, it’s your truck and you should absolutely do what makes you happy with it.
Not too much concern over resale as I have no plans to sell it. That being said you never know what the future holds and everything has a price tag or a need to fill. I get what you're saying and it is absolutely a valid concern.

The Shop Truck look would be what I would go far and my old company logo would fit that bill as well since we often delivered local orders and visited customer locations and events. Those days are over for the most part though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RotaryRocketeer View Post
The Spirit of 76 stuff would be cool looking, but it's almost like building a clone and calling it the real deal. The bicentennial trucks are rare and it feels like that would be false advertising. You wouldn't put Judge decals on a box stock Lemans....
I agree, not sold on anything that is not what the truck is. I love the logos, designs, and colors but I would feel silly answering no to "Hey, is your truck an actual..."
Old 07-25-2020, 06:32 AM   #9
4u2nv

Quote:
Originally Posted by wixthedog View Post
Not too much concern over resale as I have no plans to sell it. That being said you never know what the future holds and everything has a price tag or a need to fill. I get what you're saying and it is absolutely a valid concern.

The Shop Truck look would be what I would go far and my old company logo would fit that bill as well since we often delivered local orders and visited customer locations and events. Those days are over for the most part though.

I agree, not sold on anything that is not what the truck is. I love the logos, designs, and colors but I would feel silly answering no to "Hey, is your truck an actual..."
Cloning or tribute is so common nowadays , something I wouldn't worry about.

Last edited by 4u2nv; 07-25-2020 at 06:40 AM.
4u2nv is offline   Reply With Quote