The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-15-2020, 01:02 PM   #1
msg

Engine compartment reassembly newbie questions

I have reached the point of finally putting things back together but I want to be sure I get it right. This is all new to me so I am pretty intimidated and overwhelmed. I had originally planned to reuse it all and just spruce it up but the 350 after looking into it had more wear than I knew so I ordered an L31 and now have it installed with the 700r4 and thats about all I have done. The body panels have been taking me alot of time and Im almost done with the wetsanding and polish and wanted to start reassembling the body, but I think it might be best to get more installed on the engine first.

The big question I have really is there a best reassembly order to consider as I go?

Engine first and panels after? I mean side panels, the front panels will have to be installed for the radiator and AC condenser and all. I'll just list what Ive got and see if anyone can offer guidance on this.

A list of what I have and condition

Carb (old, was using it before I tore things down) - Quadrajet

Air cleaner- I still need to order a replacement to what I had. I wanted a sharp looking one that Ive seen some use that has 2 intake snorkles but for now Ill go cheap and get a newer open type like I had before.

Intake manilfold (new) - Edelbrock Performer Vortec Intake Manifolds 2116

Exhaust manifolds (new, wanted to switch from headers I had so I went ram horn style)-
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-G9200S

Distributor (old, my delco remy HEI I had before) - I am adding the melonized gear that will be needed for the L31

Starter (new/old) - I was using this mini torque starter I had replaced the original with since the starter kept having heat sync issues due to the headers

Radiator (old/new) - I am resuing my radiator that I just picked up from the shop. Had it reconditioned/rodded and all. The fella told me the core was replaced not too long ago it looked like. He said it was in real good shape

Fanshroud (new) - my original wasnt correct and wouldnt help cool well since I will be adding Vintage Airs Sure Fit kit that will add a condenser to the front of the radiator. The goal is to seal it all up well and pull as much air with the fan as possible to keep things running right

Power steering (old) -had a conversion done by a garage that no longer exists. They replaced the water pump I had with a used long style and put a new fan blade on. I think the fan I had wouldnt bolt to the replaced pump or something so they put on a newer one.

Wiring harness (New) - American Autowire Classic Update Series Wiring Harness Kits 500560

Alternator (new) - Remy 91751 100% New Alternator.
Im replacing the wiring harness in my 66 as part of the rebuild and also swapping my 350 out for an L31 vortec. The guy at American Auto wire mentioned that I will need to replace my alternator with an Internally Regulated Alternator for the harness setup.

AC - I will soon be ordering the Vintage Air Gen-IV SureFit Systems Complete Kits 941164

Fuel pump (new) - Holley Mighty Mite Electric Fuel Pumps 12-427
The fuel will now need an electric pump for the L31 so I still have to figure out how to run the fuel lines from the tank that is in the cab to the engine around the exhaust and trans cooler lines.

I will post some pics next to show where things are currently. I know Im missing some things like hoses and clamps and such. So much to figure out and do my head is spinning.
Attached Images

Last edited by msg; 08-15-2020 at 06:11 PM.
msg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 02:08 PM   #2
The Rocknrod

Re: Engine compartment reassembly newbie questions

That's awesome. Great work and thanks for the pics.
The Rocknrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 06:32 PM   #3
msg

Thanks Rocknrod, if you have any tips for reassembling this stuff please let me know.

I thought that by showing the parts there may be an insight from a pro that would help me not screw up as I go.

Ill start with a pic of the intake and exhaust manifolds. I looked around to see how to install an intake manifold on a 350 and saw this guys videos

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fh91CdAjrr0

He mentions that the intake manifold being aluminum is really hard to clean oil off so he powder coats his. I have never powder coated and dont have a spare oven to try it out in, so I guess when oil gets on mine it will just be hard to clean off.

Then I watched his exhaust manifold and he had the same looking type I will be installing. Immediately he talks about Nordlock washers to keep the bolts from backing out and I see heat shields and stuff and I thinking I sure dont have what I need I guess.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aUJVL0rSHas&t=37s
Attached Images

Old 08-15-2020, 06:36 PM   #4
cwcarpenter98

Assemble as much of the engine stuff as you can without the sheet metal on
Attached Images

1963 C10 - Frankentruck 283, Muncie 3 speed with overdrive
Overdrive wiring here
1963-ish truck bed trailer - Half-Wit

1981 C10 - Penny 305, th350 --> Soon to be 350, Saginaw 4 speed

1995 Dodge Dakota Sport

"I'll put it simple: if you're going hard enough left, you'll find yourself turning right." - Doc Hudson
cwcarpenter98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 07:45 PM   #5
62bagger

The engine bay came out great. It will look good when you get rest of the engine assembled.
62bagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 08:15 PM   #6
Nappers

That is going to be awesome!

Do you belong to The High Road? A member there has a name of MSG.
Nappers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 08:58 PM   #7
roll_the_dice

My only advice hits on what Christian said...do as much in the engine compartment as possible...which includes all the wiring you can get done as well in the cab and especially in the engine bay.

The other advice I can give is to do one thing at a time and don't get caught up in the overall picture. Once I realized all I had to do was one thing at a time, I was less overwhelmed.

What color do you want to powder coat the intake?
roll_the_dice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 11:14 PM   #8
msg

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwcarpenter98 View Post
Assemble as much of the engine stuff as you can without the sheet metal on
Thanks Christian, seems like the best approach to me but I was unsure of any gotchas if I went too far focusing on the engine area before the body panels. I have put too much time into getting the body panels ready to lean up and scratch or dent them up trying to get engine parts on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 62bagger View Post
The engine bay came out great. It will look good when you get rest of the engine assembled.
Thanks! I cant wait to get it together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nappers View Post
That is going to be awesome!

Do you belong to The High Road? A member there has a name of MSG.
Thanks Nappers! I guess there is a twin out there. Actually not sure what the high road is, although I do try to take it whenever possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roll_the_dice View Post
My only advice hits on what Christian said...do as much in the engine compartment as possible...which includes all the wiring you can get done as well in the cab and especially in the engine bay.

The other advice I can give is to do one thing at a time and don't get caught up in the overall picture. Once I realized all I had to do was one thing at a time, I was less overwhelmed.

What color do you want to powder coat the intake?
Thanks Roll The Dice for checking in and the input! We are on similar paths with our trucks, you will win the race to the finish I bet. You have the advantage of knowing what you are doing. Ill keep Gumping along.

On the powder coat, I just saw his video and his comment about how hard aluminum is to keep nice unless its powder coated or even clear coated. I would be happy with the silver color it has now. Sounds like I may be upset later if I dont treat it somehow with engine paint or something that will handle the heat and be easy to keep clean.
Old 08-16-2020, 09:45 AM   #9
roll_the_dice

Quote:
Originally Posted by msg View Post

Thanks Roll The Dice for checking in and the input! We are on similar paths with our trucks, you will win the race to the finish I bet. You have the advantage of knowing what you are doing. Ill keep Gumping along.

On the powder coat, I just saw his video and his comment about how hard aluminum is to keep nice unless its powder coated or even clear coated. I would be happy with the silver color it has now. Sounds like I may be upset later if I dont treat it somehow with engine paint or something that will handle the heat and be easy to keep clean.
I am glad it looks like I know what I am doing...I have googled/searched/looked on the board for almost everything I have done.

I have done some powder coating over the last few years...brake calipers, a few parts for the truck. It is not hard, but you do have to have the equipment and a spare oven. My wife gave me a powder coat kit from Eastwood a few years ago and I got an oven from a neighbor for free when they remodeled their kitchen.

Powder coat can withstand about 250 degrees or so once cured. Here are a couple of things I have powder coated. If you are close to Savannah, I am sure we could get it done.

Here are a few things I have done...
Attached Images

roll_the_dice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 10:01 AM   #10
bigmoe

Get your engine and accessories assembled for sure. It would also be easier to get your steering column and linkage done before the sheet metal goes on. Also your a/c firewall parts, fuel lines, rad and trans cooling lines.
bigmoe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 10:32 AM   #11
msg

Quote:
Originally Posted by roll_the_dice View Post
If you are close to Savannah, I am sure we could get it done.
I really appreciate that, and nice work on the stuff you coated!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmoe View Post
Get your engine and accessories assembled for sure. It would also be easier to get your steering column and linkage done before the sheet metal goes on. Also your a/c firewall parts, fuel lines, rad and trans cooling lines.
Thanks bigmoe, I will do everything then I can before panel assembly. The one thing that has got me a bit stumped is the exhaust situation I have. Im switching from the headers to the ram style exhaust, but for the start I may need to use the headers and previous exhaust just to get it running and dropped off at the local muffler shop so they can redo the exhaust...and that a big if cause the headers were removed and put in the attic but the exhaust got dumped outside under the steps off the back of the garage. No telling whats in that system now. I guess I could get the leaf lower out and clear out what I can.

The other concern I have relates to the trans cooler lines, if I temporarily install the old exhaust and route the trans cooler lines it may not work out the same for the ram style. I'll just need to try my best to route them in a way that works for both setups.

Here are some pics of the older engine I had in the truck and the set up of the headers.
Attached Images

Old 08-16-2020, 10:41 AM   #12
msg

Translines before I removed them, I guess there is a better cleaner way to route them.
Attached Images

Old 08-16-2020, 11:04 AM   #13
LT1 Burb

Don't make the same mistake I did, I waited until my truck was together before I broke the motor in. It started knocking 10 minutes in and I had to pull it out again, get it rebuilt again, and re-install it. Crazy thing was I was so pissed I pulled it by myself without taking the hood off.
Attached Images

LT1 Burb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 11:07 AM   #14
LT1 Burb

Quote:
Originally Posted by msg View Post
Translines before I removed them, I guess there is a better cleaner way to route them.
Buy the lines from Inline tube, they fit like stock.
Attached Images

LT1 Burb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 11:27 AM   #15
msg

Quote:
Originally Posted by LT1 Burb View Post
Don't make the same mistake I did, I waited until my truck was together before I broke the motor in. It started knocking 10 minutes in and I had to pull it out again, get it rebuilt again, and re-install it. Crazy thing was I was so pissed I pulled it by myself without taking the hood off.
Man Im sorry that happened, I would be pissed too! Id make more trouble by being pissed and trying to fix things, bound to louse it up worse.

So on this motor, it is a crate motor I have obviously not fired up so I will be researching what I need to do as I assemble so its got a good chance of running strong. Its got no oil in it as far as I know and Im sure you have to prime things up first before installing intakes and such.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LT1 Burb View Post
Buy the lines from Inline tube, they fit like stock.
Many thanks for the pic there! The lines look great paired up. I will look into inline but I have one of those spendy flaring tools I bought to do the brake lines so the hopeful plan was to find out what size lines and fittings and a proper route path sketch and make the lines myself. Oh and to have a lift like that is a dream of mine. One day.