The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Closed Thread

Old 09-07-2020, 11:39 AM   #1
CJ2A

Okie Rigged

Replaced the body mounts on a 1971 K20 I just got and wanted to share what the previous owner used for the rear bushings. Everything else I have found on the pickup to be sound. This old 2x4 lasted quite awhile and the body lines still lined up prior to me swapping out the body mounts. Looked like a temporary fix that was forgot about.
Attached Images

71 K20 BBC & granny 4 speed
95 2500 4x4
17 HD2500 4x4
Want => 67 C10 short bed w/ Manual Tranny
Old 09-07-2020, 12:54 PM   #2
BRL

Re: Okie Rigged

SWEET!
Old 09-07-2020, 01:52 PM   #3
Ol Blue K20
Proprietor of Dale's Corner

I like it...lol

Dale
XNGH ECV Sam Brannan 1004

R.I.P. 67ChevyRedneck
R.I.P. Grumpy Old Man
R.I.P. FleetsidePaul
Old 09-07-2020, 04:47 PM   #4
Astro-Balls

Are you going to sell that in the Classifieds? Are you taking offers?..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWK8GgWD4uA
Old 09-07-2020, 07:08 PM   #5
Killer Bee

better shape than any of mine
Old 09-08-2020, 01:43 PM   #6
special-K
Special Order

Well, it seemed to work. How did you know the person who fixed the truck was from Oklahoma?

Okie is derogatory to folks from Oklahoma. There's probably a better term to use these days. I hope this doesn't offend anyone from California, but I see it as a snotty-assed Californian expression. But anyone offended could simply choose to stop using it. Where the term comes from was a very bad natural disaster occurring that turned their homeland turning it to hell on earth. They were forced to leave as a matter of survival for their families, not to come see Hollywood as tourists

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
Old 09-08-2020, 02:06 PM   #7
Ol Blue K20

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
Well, it seemed to work. How did you know the person who fixed the truck was from Oklahoma?

Okie is derogatory to folks from Oklahoma. There's probably a better term to use these days. I hope this doesn't offend anyone from California, but I see it as a snotty-assed Californian expression. But anyone offended could simply choose to stop using it. Where the term comes from was a very bad natural disaster occurring that turned their homeland turning it to hell on earth. They were forced to leave as a matter of survival for their families, not to come see Hollywood as tourists
Really...I'm a snooty assed Californian.......hilarious

Dale

R.I.P. 67ChevyRedneck
R.I.P. Grumpy Old Man
R.I.P. FleetsidePaul
Old 09-08-2020, 02:40 PM   #8
Wizo

Red neck for sure!
Old 09-08-2020, 05:00 PM   #9
CG
BlahBlahBlah

How bout oaky rigged instead, lol.
Old 09-08-2020, 05:28 PM   #10
Ol Blue K20

Quote:
Originally Posted by CG View Post
How bout oaky rigged instead, lol.
That block of wood could've been oak

Dale

R.I.P. 67ChevyRedneck
R.I.P. Grumpy Old Man
R.I.P. FleetsidePaul
Old 09-08-2020, 05:43 PM   #11
72c20customcamper

Not on any of my chevys but I had to jury rig a fix on my Dodge. I've seen tubes rot but this is the pumpkin. The cast rotted away same manufacturer as newer chevys . I'm looking for a a good carrier from the west or south.

Fix is a 3/8 ths self tapping bolt with a steel washer and a rubber washer. After I verified it stopped leaking I used JB stick Weld on it.
Attached Images

1969 AMX ,
1968 c20 stepside ,85 K20
1977 Suburban sold
68 anniversary.
Old 09-08-2020, 07:36 PM   #12
Ironangel

Quote:

X's 2!
71 C/50 Grain Truck, 350 Split-Axle 4-Speed
02 3/4 ton Express
14 Indian Chief Vintage
1952 Ford 8N, "Only Ford Allowed On The Property"
"Be American, Buy American"
Old 09-08-2020, 07:49 PM   #13
'68OrangeSunshine

The accepted term now is ''Oklahoman/Americans''.

Every 25 years I like to rebuild that 292, whether it needs it or not.

Last edited by '68OrangeSunshine; 09-09-2020 at 12:17 AM.
Old 09-08-2020, 08:07 PM   #14
Killer Bee

shots fired!

I'm taking cover before we start on the show-me-state
Old 09-08-2020, 08:09 PM   #15
jeffahart

Quote:

Maybe lighten up, before you run off every last junior member... what do you think, huh?

j
Old 09-08-2020, 08:22 PM   #16
Ironangel

What I cant figure out is, how can a truck with seven different colors win a TOM award? You'd think a feller ridin a mule as ugly as that would have a little empathy fer a feller from a state next door to Roosters birthplace...? Shoot, back in the day all trucks were mounted on wood...Lucky I aint no moderator or I'd be makin a couple wannabe rangers skin leather!
Attached Images

02 3/4 ton Express
14 Indian Chief Vintage
Old 09-08-2020, 08:25 PM   #17
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

Quote:

California is kind of by itself, the way people act around here. Kind of like seeing "Ugly Americans" in Europe, I guess. Around here we can narrow it down to people coming over the hill to visit/live in our little burg, ******** from LA, but the truth is plenty of people from LA are OK. I'm living proof...sometimes. I'm pretty laid back, though, since I spooled down after I retired.

'70 Chevy 3/4T Longhorn CST 402/400/3.56 Custom Camper

Simi Valley, CA
Old 09-08-2020, 08:30 PM   #18
Ironangel

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffahart View Post
Maybe lighten up, before you run off every last junior member... what do you think, huh?

j
I think Tim made a very good and necessary point! Especially in a time when word use and vocabulary is most important. Perhaps you should lighten up and take heed?
02 3/4 ton Express
14 Indian Chief Vintage
Old 09-08-2020, 09:19 PM   #19
Ol Blue K20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironangel View Post
What I cant figure out is, how can a truck with seven different colors win a TOM award? You'd think a feller ridin a mule as ugly as that would have a little empathy fer a feller from a state next door to Roosters birthplace...? Shoot, back in the day all trucks were mounted on wood...Lucky I aint no moderator or I'd be makin a couple wannabe rangers skin leather!
I'm going to my corner before I get in trouble over a joke about snooty ased Californians. My truck is only four colors and isn't an mule..........off to my corner......

Dale

R.I.P. 67ChevyRedneck
R.I.P. Grumpy Old Man
R.I.P. FleetsidePaul
Old 09-09-2020, 12:19 AM   #20
'68OrangeSunshine

Quote:
Originally Posted by '68OrangeSunshine View Post
The accepted term now is ''Oklahoman/Americans''.
I KNOW I was kidding.

Every 25 years I like to rebuild that 292, whether it needs it or not.
Old 09-09-2020, 06:42 AM   #21
doo142

Wow really!! Moderators?? This has nothing to do with our hobby. I come here to relax and read about our trucks not for this bickering B.S. !! Keep it up and you will lose members faster than Goodyear!
67 Chevy Napco c30 Dump
56 GMC Napco 4x4 short step
66 Chevy K10
68 Chevy C/30 4x4
Old 09-09-2020, 06:52 AM   #22
custom10nut

I would venture to say that many on “the Board” have made Temporary Fixes on their trucks, just to get them back on the road. Kinda like putting a Bandage on a cut that needs stitches. I’ve got a couple “Tem-Permanent” fixes on mine, that’ll get fixed when I finally do the “Frame Off”, but until then I’m using and enjoying my truck.
Old 09-09-2020, 09:14 AM   #23
special-K
Special Order

Hey CG, woodn't that be piney or Hemlocky, or maybe sprucey?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffahart View Post

j
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Look, I'm not running anyone off. Maybe we need to set junior members straight on respecting others to maintain the friendly vibe this site is known for. I lived in CA and heard that term used a lot. Every time I heard it used it cut into me as being a snotty ass thing to say about a person. It wasn't just the term, it was how it was used. I am not from Oklahoma but I can feel for others who receive derogatory remarks, all the while remaining very light and positive. I don't like when thin people refer to fatasses, either. The list goes on and my point is those who use such terms are the ones who need to lighten up on others. I can come up with a derogatory name for every person that walks this planet. But due to my light hearted nature I am focused more on people coming together than senseless division based on things like geography, economic stature, body type, color, political views... on and on. I did my part, now you do yours.

I never said everyone in CA is snobby. But if you think about it, using the term Okie is putting yourself over another person. Pure and simple, that is a thing I do not believe in down to my core. And if anyone thinks that's not true, you have misinterpreted my words at some point. We often misjudge through our own perspective those who have a different perspective. I do what I do because I care and I hope you do too. Is it wrong to care about others?

I never bickered, and as a moderator I was looking out for our members from Oklahoma while generally sending a message about the use of derogatory terms in a time when so many are polarized by such a mentality. I would do the same again if someone used the term Hoosier, which means uneducated, uncouth people. It is not wrong to be sensitive toward the feelings of others. In fact, it takes a real man to do so. So let's end it here. If anyone has more to say on this, please feel free to PM me. Thank you.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I think that body bushing was a McIver fix. How's that? First of all he's not a real person, but also it gives the character credit for his ingenuity.

A couple weeks ago I did a McIver roadside fix for my brother on his '03 K1500. I was visiting my mom up in the mountains of Western MD. My brother loves up that way, but about 50 miles east. He's not very mechanically skilled. He was on his way up with his two boys for the afternoon. My mom gets a call from him stating his truck started making a rumbly noise and vibrating so he got off the interstate and pulled it over. He had a u-joint go up at the rear, 37 miles down the road. I stopped at the one parts store and got a couple u-joints since he couldn't identify inner or outer clips. I get there and that end of the shaft was on the ground, so I slipped it out. Ugg... not good. Aluminum shaft with the yoke all beat up out of shape and one side split. Dead in the water in the middle of nowhere with hardly a tool between us. He had a couple same size styrofoam coffee cups and some clear packing tape. I cut about 1/2" (eyeballed diameter needed and the 1/2") off the tapered cup and it fit really snug on the smooth area on the tail of the transfer case. Taped it on, which felt like it was really holding, and added the second cup for added strength . Hey, 2-ply is better, right? Taped that then I had a heavy plastic shopping bag folded up under the back seat for just in case I needed a bag that was too good to throw away. I cut a corner out and taped that over all that. I sent him back home with front wheel drive and told him just remember it's not actually fixed, just a way to get it back home. Don't go over 50 and check on it often, look in your mirror for coffee cups . I followed him up the road a ways and he said it felt good. He made it home just fine and I told him he could be careful and use it to go pickup the new driveshaft. I think he drove it two days to a job he had to finish and found a driveshaft for $100, picked that up. I had checked Car Quest and a new replacement was $1,000!! Youch! He's all good now with a driveshaft that cost what he would have spent on towing alone

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~

Last edited by special-K; 09-09-2020 at 09:37 AM.
Old 09-09-2020, 09:24 AM   #24
BigBird05

I am getting tired of all of the P.C. B. S. If your feelings are hurt by a word you need to grow up.
Old 09-09-2020, 09:58 AM   #25
1971Stepside
Almost Satisfied

Quote:
I am getting tired of all of the P.C. B. S. If your feelings are hurt by a word you need to grow up.
I mean you nailed it. Geez, I guess I have to stop sayin Dam* Jayhawkers now
1971 C10 Stepside. LSx 6.0 with BTR Stage IV, Speed Engineering Headers, 4L80e transmission w/3200 Circle-D Stall. 3.73. Posi. Purchased this truck when I was 17. I started the rebuild (or take apart) in 1993. I have drug it around all over the country in pieces. Finally back on the road in 2021.

"I can't complain, but sometimes I still do. Life's been good to me so far."
Closed Thread