The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-15-2003, 02:07 PM   #1
bouncytruck
SKINNY TIRES RULE!

e-bay sellers

<RANT>
What is with the attitude of some e-bay sellers. Over the weekend I was watching an e-bay auction for one of the "WIX" Blazers. (E-Bay Link). I sent the seller an e-mail with a couple of questions. The only description of the item said "MISSING hood, 1% RUB, good condition," (seller has since changed it to say Missing top) but the photo showed the item missing the top. I asked them if it was missing the hood or the top and what 1% RUB ment. The sellers sent me a snotty message back saying ""as pictured" obviously i meant top of truck." Now, why would you give a potencial buyer attitude. Especially when you have no bids on your item. If you look at the listing, the seller is really only interested in making sure that no one asks them questions about how to pay, how to ship, etc but they can't even get their own description correct.

I have run into this several times on e-bay. If you can't put down a proper description, you shouldn't have attatude when someone askes you a question. I sent back to the lady selling the item and said, "Well, obviously, a top and a hood are different, but I wasn’t sure if you knew that or not. Thanks anyway!"

Obviously, I'm no longer interested in purchasing her item.

<end RANT>
Wife's Ride2014 Fiat 500L
bouncytruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2003, 02:55 PM   #2
70c10
67-72 Addict!

You should reply "OBVIOUSLY" I'll bid on somebody else's auction!

1970 C/10 Fleetside w/Ghost Flames
Lowered 4.5" front and 4" rear (Raked)
355/350 Turbo w/shift kit
10" Redneck Performance Verter w/2500 stall
Hooker Super Comps part#2808-1
Performer RPM Air-Gap
12 Bolt w/3:73 gears- Eaton Posi
Comp Cams XE262 with 1.6 Crane Energizers, Road Demon 625 and Brodix IK 180 heads
70c10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2003, 02:56 PM   #3
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

i dont know who the seller was but sometimes theyre just grumpy people, sometimes they get inundated with questions that are inane, sometimes therye just tired of dealing with people after selling stuff a while. people tend to put their efforts into stuff and get in over their head and take it out on people who are around it gets to them and thats the time when they need to get out of the business. this goes for anyone who is in a business thats people oriented... jus try not to let the sourpusses get ya down and ya did the right thing theres plenty of people to buy from, let that one go and buy from the next one
very few items on ebay are that one of a kind that you should have to pu up wiht a sellers crap

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2003, 07:35 PM   #4
Tx Firefighter
Watch out for your cornhole !

Sometimes, I get two dozen questions per day, per item, on my Ebay auctions. Seems like all of them want a picture or something. It can take several hours to answer all of the requests every day.

Maybe the guy is getting swamped, or maybe he's a pecker.

Ebay ,is great to make money off of, but you have to babysit your auctions like you do a 2 year old. They're a lot of work.
Old 12-15-2003, 08:08 PM   #5
MoFasterMo

So what does 1% RUB mean????
MoFasterMo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2003, 08:18 PM   #6
shuttermutt
Don't say "Oops!", Doctor

I can't tell you what 1% RUB means, but I can say that my experience is a seller and a buyer on eBay is that when you're dealing with specialty merchandise (I dealt in high-end cameras), it's not uncommon that the buyer(s) will know far more about the item than the seller.

It's easy as a seller to get your feathers ruffled when a buyer sends an e-mail correcting your posting or proving you wrong. Perhaps this seller isn't immersed in the car world and made an honest mistake. Hey, any one of us would get a little short if we had 100 e-mails saying, "Ha-ha! It's called a Floogle valve and not a Heisenheimer connection, you idiot!" Especially when we made an honest mistake.

Or, the person could just be a prick.
1967 C10 SWB: Claimed when Bumpster didn't put it on his list
shuttermutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2003, 08:39 PM   #7
jmanz69
Careful, they attack...

I've been known to get dozens of emails about my auctions, and sometimes they ask the dumbest questions. I try to be polite and answer them to the best of my ability. I have been proved wrong a few times, and I just edit the auction description to reflect what someone has pointed out to me. Sounds as if she had gotten 100+ emails or so correcting her error. It can be frustrating as a seller when everyone finds your mistakes.

I say move on and buy from someone else.
jmanz69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2003, 09:02 PM   #8
bouncytruck
SKINNY TIRES RULE!

I guess 1% rub is a term only this seller knows but this is what she sent to me - "1% RUB as stated in my ME page:
The term "paint rub" refers to areas no longer painted
due to wear, chipping or other reason."

My initial e-mail was worded very politely and I read her listing many times before sending to make sure I wasn't missing something. If I bid on the item and it showed up with out a hood but did have a top, I would have been screwed because the listing clearly stated "missing hood." Am I wrong to make sure that what I am bidding on is what I am expecting?

Quote:
Or, the person could just be a prick.
I think you hit the nail on the head!
Wife's Ride2014 Fiat 500L
bouncytruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2003, 10:40 PM   #9
bow-tie-bandit
Live life and be happy.

I wouldn't let it get to ya. I see those wix blazers on e-bay all the time. Most are mint with the box and I have seen them go for 10 bucks and up from there. If you be patient you will find one for a good price and in better condition then the one the prick (oops) had. Its just like buying anything you want in this world.