The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-15-2003, 07:02 PM   #1
RussTburb

Angry break in!

Well they got us!! got the call from the police sunday morning that our (a well known brake and muffler francise wich I am the manage) front door was smashed out.! It would appear that the only thing they actually got away with was are new 120v mig welder they did not even take cash?
But there is a possibility one of my own employees may have had something to do with. So I ask your advise: Rumor has it that said employee is a crystal meth addict. Employee says "NO". How do some of you other manager/ owners deal with that? I'm told by my district manager that drug testing is get this... too exspensive to do everybody and some of my other techs (and some higher ups) like the mj. no what I mean? So this sucks. A muffler shop with no welder! Just had to vent thanks for listening.
06 2500 suburban 8.1L 4x4
84 chev 4x4 diesel
96 Geo Metro with the 4cylbb, lol! Almost 300k just won't die!
89 Honda Civic, runs on the smell of an oily rag!
2008 Aerolite 26qs Travel Trailer (aka "THE BARN")
RussTburb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2003, 07:06 PM   #2
dinnut

that really sucks!!!!!! try to sell them drugs... and record the whole thing and if they buy it you know theyre druggies!
Old 12-15-2003, 07:44 PM   #3
CPNEJR

Well thats gotta suck hope ya find out who it is and get another welder
72 Chevy K20 Suburban (future project)
70 Chevy K20 now 68 GMC K2500
2003 Chevy 2500hd ccsb 4X4 (daily driver)
CPNEJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2003, 07:58 PM   #4
shuttermutt
Don't say "Oops!", Doctor

Exclamation

STOP!

Take great care in how you proceed with this particular employee. I've been a manager for nearly a decade and I've had teams ranging in size from 5 to nearly 80 employees. I know you're upset (and rightfully so), but you must be careful in what you say and/or do at this point.

If you've already confronted the employee then the best thing to do is resume as if nothing happened. Don't ask him/her about it, don't talk to other employees about it, and don't make any changes of any kind. If you haven't confronted the employee then DON'T.

Call your lawyer and the police. Tell them everything that you know. Let them know how/why you suspect this employee and let them handle the interview and follow-up. The last thing you need is a disgruntled addict with a reason for getting revenge.

If the employee is taking drugs, that's obviously grounds for termination. You will, of course, need proof if your state isn't a Right To Hire state. Your lawyer can advise you further.

Drug testing isn't necessarily expensive, but there are some rules to follow. Your local small business agencies and lawyer can help you sort out what you'll need to do. Remember, however, that just because this person may be a drug user, that doesn't make them guilty of the crime.

I don't mean to sound alarmist or anything, but I'd hate to see you A) without legal recourse and/or B) a victim of a vindictive ex-employee because you didn't handle this with discretion and within the letter of the law. I've been through very similar situations and I can tell you that the devil's in the details!
1967 C10 SWB: Claimed when Bumpster didn't put it on his list
shuttermutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2003, 08:04 PM   #5
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

i would report the theft to your insurance company then i would ( very very quietly ) tell the adjuster who will come get a statement exactly what you suspect and who you suspect, yes that will prolly void the claim and yes it may create other problems but the insurance company will prolly insist in drug tests . as far as im concerned people who are that far into drugs that they have to rob to support their habit are useless to society and should hopefully take the motherlode of dope and do the rest of the world a favor by overdosing.
In addition id move whatever tools i had out of the shop as its clear the management of the company condones drug use
would you want the guy working on your brakes high as a kite at the time?? id hope not

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2003, 08:46 PM   #6
RussTburb

all good advise.
I have not confronted said employee, for those exact reasons. My fear a month ago (and I voiced it to the powers that be) was the disgruntal employee thing. I do not suspect him of actually stealing but telling someone what we had and maybe even showing him (the dealer). the back door. To the best of my knowledge the owner is yet to claim on his insurance and has no intention of doing so as the deductable and the higher premiums make it not in his best interest (sp?) the employee in ? went home early today "sick" again... anyone know symptoms of crystal meth withdrawl?
84 chev 4x4 diesel
Old 12-15-2003, 08:54 PM   #7
Randy70C-10
Account Suspended

Check the local pawn shops for the welder. Pawn shops breed thieves and drug addicts. We have one down the street called Cash Converters. We call them "Crack Converters".
Randy70C-10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2003, 09:01 PM   #8
RussTburb

I went through the phone book and called every pawn shop in it. They seamed very helpful and took the serial number and police case #. They all said if it showed up there they would notify the police. btw whowever this was they sure did not seam the type, they took now cash, no computers, no hand tools, they took the welder off the cart with the tank and gauges but left the auto darkening helment that actually belongs to one of the techs. Hmmm?
84 chev 4x4 diesel
Old 12-15-2003, 09:04 PM   #9
Randy70C-10
Account Suspended

That doesn't sound like someone after drug money, they wanted the welder specifically.
Randy70C-10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2003, 09:05 PM   #10
dinnut

sounds like someone wanted that welder!
Old 12-15-2003, 09:12 PM   #11
RussTburb

yeah thats what I was thinking, I don't think it will end up in pawn shop someones shop but not the pawn shop.
84 chev 4x4 diesel
Old 12-15-2003, 09:13 PM   #12
lukecp
Formerly yellow72custom

I agree. They wanted the welder to use.....if i was taking stuff to pawn, i would go for smaller items than a welder.

Drug tests would be a good idea....but of course not all thiefs use drugs and vise versa.
lukecp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2003, 09:10 AM   #13
70c10
67-72 Addict!

Time for a good camera setup!

1970 C/10 Fleetside w/Ghost Flames
Lowered 4.5" front and 4" rear (Raked)
355/350 Turbo w/shift kit
10" Redneck Performance Verter w/2500 stall
Hooker Super Comps part#2808-1
Performer RPM Air-Gap
12 Bolt w/3:73 gears- Eaton Posi
Comp Cams XE262 with 1.6 Crane Energizers, Road Demon 625 and Brodix IK 180 heads
70c10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2003, 09:42 AM   #14
cwilli84
1FINE69

The camera idea is a good one for future problems, but if you want a cheap route you could use a fake one and just run the coax wire to a hidden location with a used VCR and keep it an absolute secret, even from the owner if necessary. Just tellem a good friend gave it to ya since he sold off his business, or something.
Old 12-16-2003, 11:36 AM   #15
bigjimzlll

I Have run a lot of jobs...at sometimes having over 100 employees.I/we have a zero tolerance drug policy. Myself being a reformed addict/drunk/theif, have a real first hand knowledge of when someones using. I have sent 24 employess in for drug test..all 24 tested possitive for drugs and were fired. I have gone in with a few myself to be tested(and came back clean). If you suspect an employee of using drugs/alcohol..its in the companies,customer and employees best interest to be tested(especially when working on brakes). If you do not have a mandatory drug screening program...instate one!

click the clicky to join the site....
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/payments.php

67 lwb..first hotrod in 25 years..540 best ET is 9.45 @ 141.44
Anderson,CA
bigjimzlll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2003, 03:47 PM   #16
frogsmakr

metheads are grumpy w/o their fix....
frogsmakr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2003, 03:57 PM   #17
Castiron9
72 LONGHORN OWNER

If said emplyee is not a good and reliable employee,start documenting every time he is late,does not follow orders,etc,etc,and then just terminate him.......Just make sure that you explain to all employees the business's policy's and do not just single out said emplyee..If he is on drugs he will screw up enough times where you will have grounds to just get rid of him..Just my 2 cent's worth............

70-C/30 DUALLY
Castiron9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2003, 04:11 PM   #18
tommygfunk
tommy . master of madness

imagen this

the little who is now my X WIFE !!! before we got divorced stool cash and equpiment for her boy tramp... but she forgot about the sec. cameras i set up after the first theft. needless to say it was one ez divorce after my attorney saw the tapes lmaoraotf.....

tom
tommygfunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2003, 05:41 PM   #19
casey

I always beleive in going to the source, and in this case( only if your pretty sure)go talk to him. I had a bunch of tools stolen from a job site one time, and got a tip it was the neighbor kid, so I went to see him, said I had a tip that he stole the tools and said look if you don't want this to go anyfurther than between you and me, just make sure the tools are back at the house in the morning, and nothing more said, other wise I'll be talking to your parents and the police. tools were there in the morning. you have to offer a way out for this guy or your infor a fight, don't make it personnal, make it about the welder, so really all you want right now is the welder back, use this proceedure and see if the welder comes back, and if it does, of course you'll know he did it, and then once the smoke clears, just tell him it would be wise if he resigned, if he doesn't comply then you'll have to go through the proper channels, but what I'm saying will save you a lot of legal wrangling and headache, just my opinion
casey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2003, 10:55 PM   #20
67sss

Have any suspicious customers in the last week or so? each invioce has to have a name. I'm also in favor of ZERO tolerance, 1 strike and your out, to many peoples lives at stake...
67sss is offline   Reply With Quote