The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-12-2020, 03:39 PM   #1
Scott2.0

This bulb is smarter than me

I feel like an idiot. Shouldn’t this tail light bulb just push in, twist and come out? I’m pushing but it doesn’t want to turn nor eject. Please and thank you.

Scott2.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 04:08 PM   #2
cwcarpenter98

Re: This bulb is smarter than me

Yes, it should push in and turn. Sometimes, I feel like I pushed mine far enough in, but it wasn't and needed a little more shove

1963 C10 - Frankentruck 283, Muncie 3 speed with overdrive
Overdrive wiring here
1963-ish truck bed trailer - Half-Wit

1981 C10 - Penny 305, th350 --> Soon to be 350, Saginaw 4 speed

1995 Dodge Dakota Sport

"I'll put it simple: if you're going hard enough left, you'll find yourself turning right." - Doc Hudson
cwcarpenter98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 06:34 PM   #3
Scott2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwcarpenter98 View Post
Yes, it should push in and turn. Sometimes, I feel like I pushed mine far enough in, but it wasn't and needed a little more shove
Feel like it's going to go through my thumb if I push any harder. I'll keep at it. Thanks!
Scott2.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 07:33 PM   #4
Joe P

Wrap it in a rag first. Work it. Wiggle it. Just a little bit. It may come out. Seriously, be careful! I once sliced opened the end of my thumb when the glass crumbled because I was trying to do what you are doing. I can show you the scar. If it wont move then very carefully break the glass (Or pull off the bulb from the base) and use a needle nose or duck bill pliers to push in, twist, and pull out the brass bulb base. I always use dielectric grease or silicone paste when installing the new bulb. Its an old trick and for sure it wont get stuck again. You don't need much, just a light coat. Good luck!
Joe P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 08:42 PM   #5
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe P View Post
Wrap it in a rag first. Work it. Wiggle it. Just a little bit. It may come out. Seriously, be careful! I once sliced opened the end of my thumb when the glass crumbled because I was trying to do what you are doing. I can show you the scar. If it wont move then very carefully break the glass (Or pull off the bulb from the base) and use a needle nose or duck bill pliers to push in, twist, and pull out the brass bulb base. I always use dielectric grease or silicone paste when installing the new bulb. Its an old trick and for sure it wont get stuck again. You don't need much, just a light coat. Good luck!
I guess I'm not the only one to slice the snot out of my thumb or finger pulling out a stubborn bulb! I went and looked for a recommendation for bulb pliers to post, but then the lunch tapeworm woke up and I had other business to tend to. I pack the socket full of grease too, after putting in a new bulb. It's not much of a problem in the desert parts of sunny southern California, but bad in a lot of places.

'70 Chevy 3/4T Longhorn CST 402/400/3.56 Custom Camper

Simi Valley, CA
Steeveedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 10:09 AM   #6
jayoldschool

If the bulb is bad already, smash it, clear out the glass, then push/turn the brass with needle nose pliers.
jayoldschool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 12:44 PM   #7
jweb

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayoldschool View Post
If the bulb is bad already, smash it, clear out the glass, then push/turn the brass with needle nose pliers.
This is what I would do. It's possible someone put the wrong bulb in and it's really stuck in there. Get the glass out of the way, then you can bend the metal inward if needed to free it up.
1953 Westerner "canned ham" trailer, rebuilt
1974 Prowler trailer, rebuilt
jweb is offline   Reply With Quote