The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-02-2020, 12:29 PM   #1
blazer2007

recommendations on 350 starters

Have a stock 350/350 in a 80 1/2 ton truck with the big old starter. was wondering about the smaller ones on newer vehicles, something I can buy at NAPA . I know some fit, I think they were called Denso ? I have a cracked flex plate so might as well make both parts new. I don,t want to order anything from Summitt etc. shipping and duty to Can. kills you and sometimes slow due to the virus crap.
blazer2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 01:18 PM   #2
Ziegelsteinfaust

Re: recommendations on 350 starters

The mini starters are great, and I have been using them for going on 20 years when needed.

For your truck the you have it described it is overkill, but it won't hurt anything if that is what you want.

If you feel the starter you have now has not worked great it is usually due to the switch. It sends voltage to close the big solenoid on the starter. Using a relay with voltage direct from the battery shores up those issues nicely.

A cherry on top for stock engines, but really nice for higher compression engines or overly tuned. Just anything that is harder to get started. Is to put a momentarily open switch to cut power to the HEI, and when the starter hits full speed you let off the switch.

Last edited by Ziegelsteinfaust; 11-02-2020 at 01:23 PM.
Ziegelsteinfaust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 02:47 PM   #3
Dead Parrot

I think the term you are looking for is "Gear Reduction Starter". I have seen lots of threads about them. Many folks love them. Several have had lots of problems. Do your research.

If the current starter is working fine, I would keep it. While you have it off, check and change the brushes if they are near end of life. Fairly simple to do and last time I did it, the set of brushes was about $4. Don't forget to check the clearance on the new flex plate and shim accordingly.
Dead Parrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 05:30 PM   #4
Axle

I picked up one of the gear reduction starters, put it on, pulled out the pinion gear, and promptly removed it and put the old starter back on. The one I had had barely 1/8" engagement with the flywheel. Wasn't comfortable with that The old starter has at least a 1/4" engagement.
Curious what kind of flywheel engagement you guys have that are using them, and what application (in the event there are different nose depths on these things).
Axle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 10:20 PM   #5
blazer2007

I just thought if I had to buy a new starter I would try new one that is smaller and easier to install and keep away from headers even thou I don,t have any heat soak or starting issues . I guess I will buy the the old style one. Old starter works but starter teeth look like they have seen better days. I did find one at the auto wreckers for my big block from a newer car or truck and it fit fine with now problems but can,t remember what it came out off
blazer2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2020, 09:19 AM   #6
cadillac_al

I have one of each and I can't say I like one over the other. They do have a different sound. I do like the small one for ease of installation. I had to buy different bolts to mount it though.
77 Chevy K10
cadillac_al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2020, 10:46 AM   #7
SCOTI

If you do decide on the gear-reduction starter, one from the 'Vortec' era of 88-98 trucks usually works (96 Vortec 350 or an SS454 truck).
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote