The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-04-2020, 12:11 AM   #1
REDROCKER652002

Next project

I don't know if I posted, but my son had a small leak in the stock exhaust and went ahead and bought headers. Being 19, he didn't think it thru and we had to cut a very small amount of the frame to get the header to sit flush on the block. He works at a parts store, so he got a great deal on Flowmasters, so he bought them as well. What he forgot to check was the price to have an exhaust shop put all the pieces together. He was quoted anywhere between 600 to 900 dollars. I offered to pay for it, but he is determined to do it himself, so I let him go with it. He did some research on the web and found Summit has a exhaust setup made for the 67 to 72 Chevy C10 for about 250 bucks, including the mufflers. He is now the proud owner of that setup and asked if I would help him put it together, and of course I said I would. I am proud of him for wanting to tackle this and it will be fun to get it put up and give him the chance to say he did it. I know there are going to be some challenges, but what the heck, that is what old trucks are for. LOL.

Anyway, that is what we will be working on this weekend if it all goes well. I am looking forward to spending the time with him and getting this worked out so he can get back to driving it and enjoying it.

Thanks for reading my long post. I will hopefully update as we get into it

RR
REDROCKER652002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 08:39 AM   #2
Redneck Rydes

Re: Next project

Good for him, if he makes a couple mistakes he will have dad help him,when we were young,didn't have a dad to help,we learned on our own,so be patient and give advice,but in the end he will have to figure it out himself,good to build self confidence.
Redneck Rydes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 01:11 PM   #3

Good for him and u for the helping offer. Just let him take the lead. If he has to figure it out, he will remember it better. Don’t forget the pics and part number for this. Going n 2 winter, so more of us will b looking at things like this to update or replace.
Good luck as always.
3767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 05:55 PM   #4
bry593

Good that dad is helping out, also good that son has a chance to learn about headers. Remember what bry says, "Headers are for serious racers and for kids who have never experienced the headaches of headers."

Chalk another one up for the kids....
Old 11-05-2020, 01:08 AM   #5
REDROCKER652002

Well, update is that he was under the truck for the better part of the day. I woke up, I work nights, about 1 to check on him. He was sitting on the porch scratching his head saying it wasn't gonna work. So, I said let me see what you got. Turns out, he bought Headman Short headers, whatever that means, and the collectors don't go as far as the kit he bought call for. So, he had a flexible exhaust pipe he was gonna try. I told him, ok, lets see how we can get this to work. Long story short, we connected the flexible pipe to the collector using a u bolt. Ran the flexible pipe the H pipe using a section of a store bought pipe extender that we cut to marry both pieces together. He got the H pipe set up, ran the rest of the pipe out to the back of the truck. He isn't very happy with how the Flowmasters fit, so he is going to use the mufflers that came in the kit, Thrush I think they are called, for now. Once we get the motor he really wants and get's it set up, he will revisit the Flowmasters. Anyway, I got him set up on the passenger side, told him I had to get ready for work. Showered, Shaved and dressed I went out. He had both sides all fit up and everything loosely fitted in the truck. I told him I was proud of him for doing it himself and that I thought he did a great job. So, tomorrow, we will tighten everything down and he will get to take the truck to work, which he has been wanting to do for the two weeks it has been down.

Sorry for the long post, but kinda a proud papa here. I will get some photo's tomorrow once we get it all buttoned up.

Thanks for all the replies.

RR
Old 11-05-2020, 07:06 AM   #6
72 tigger

Sounds like he’s a good kid! Nice of you to help and encourage him
Kirk
72 tigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 12:10 PM   #7
67C10Step

Fan-friggin-tastic! Always happy to see someone getting another young soul into the hobby. My son seems to have gotten "the knack" from me but really isn't into cars/trucks. He's in college and tells me frequently of friends and acquaintances that ask for his help on items.

The one thing I picked up on in your story is you sound very patient. I tried to remember that my dad seemed to think I knew everything he did and would get frustrated with me at times when I was younger. That is one key thing, you cannot unknow what you know and it's not obvious until you learn it.

Keep him encouraged and he will be fine.
2024 Toyota Tundra
67C10Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 02:20 PM   #8
REDROCKER652002

Thanks guys, his laptop blew out and he has some school stuff to do, so not sure what, if anything, will go with the truck today. I might dive under to take a few photo's and show yall what happened and get any feedback. But for now, he is happy to be moving forward. Next up, steering box as the one he has leaks like a sieve. LOL
Old 11-06-2020, 04:43 PM   #9
REDROCKER652002

Got it all buttoned up yesterday. Took a bit longer to get the hangers up as I think we had some issues with where they pipes were supposed to be, versus where they actually were due to him buying the wrong style header. Either way, it is on, run and no leaks or rattles. I may suggest he get under and tuck a few things up a bit, but for now, it is back on the road. He is not as happy as he could be, he said it isn't loud enough LOL. I told him he has a very small V8, and once he gets his motor and all that, the sound will change. This is just a temp setup until maybe next summer when he can scrape up the money, with Dad's help of course, to get him a new motor. Pics to come