The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-04-2020, 09:38 PM   #1
TXgearhead67

Panel alignment and cab mount spacers

I need some advice on my 67 stepside. A little backstory first. This truck had severe rust that I cut out and repaired. It wouldn’t surprise me if something’s moved a little even though I braced it. Fast forward to present day. I’m aligning body panels and having trouble. Doors are factory and line up pretty good to the cab. Both fenders are aftermarket and fit like crap. Having to slot top front bolt holes on back to get a bolt to go through. Driver side fender is overlapping door at bottom. Passenger isn’t to bad to the door. I have new cab mounts and mounted the rear with a 3/8” spacer to get what I got. I’ve swapped the mounts around thinking I had the mounts wrong but that didn’t help. Radiator support is aftermarket and I am using the 67 mounts for it. My question is how much shim can I put under rear cab mounts without running into trouble. I measure 2 1/2” from top of bed to cab body line right now. I’ve temporarily bolted the front bumper on and can get a finger between it and nose. Cowl sits about 3/8” evenly higher than aftermarket hood. Any help would be much appreciated and I’m not scared to cut and weld. Lol sorry for the long post.
TXgearhead67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 06:28 PM   #2
1971Stepside
Almost Satisfied

Re: Panel alignment and cab mount spacers

My advice is to keep chasing it. I've spent hours and hours on mine. One change here impacts something else there. I also have new fenders and I have one gap on my passenger side that I hate, but it is what it is.

Make sure your cab is square on the frame. Mine wasn't so far off that I had fenders overlapping the doors or having to slot holes, but I think you can get it closer by continuing to work it. Walk away if you have to and come back to it. Wish I could give you a better "fix"
1971 C10 Stepside. LSx 6.0 with BTR Stage IV, Speed Engineering Headers, 4L80e transmission w/3200 Circle-D Stall. 3.73. Posi. Purchased this truck when I was 17. I started the rebuild (or take apart) in 1993. I have drug it around all over the country in pieces. Finally back on the road in 2021.

"I can't complain, but sometimes I still do. Life's been good to me so far."
1971Stepside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 06:47 PM   #3
Dr Jekyll

I needed to replace the passenger side fender because the bottom front portion had completely rusted away(under the battery tray). So I got a new aftermarket fender, and began test fitting. I could never get the hood gaps close with the new fender. Then I put the original back on out of frustration and everything fell right in place. My solution was to use the section of the after market fender to repair the original. I don’t know if you still have the original fenders, or if they’re repairable but that’s what I had to do.
Dr Jekyll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 08:34 PM   #4
TXgearhead67

Thanks fellas I guess I just need to keep on keeping on like was suggested. I got the hood and fenders from LMC and I’m amazed at the poor fitment. Especially the hood. It’s going to need a lot of help. I’ll get it looking good though.

I’ve already trashed my old fenders but that would have been the smart thing to do.
TXgearhead67 is offline   Reply With Quote